Acura TLX Forum banner
81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is the spare tire itself the same size for all three kits? I assume not, but if that’s the case, anyone know what size the spare tire should be for each kit?

I’m interested in getting the 19” kit for my SH-AWD w/tech package, but I wanna make sure I order the right tire. I suppose if I have to I could get the kit first and see.

·
Registered
2021 TLX Type S (had 1994 Integra GSR 4DR)
25 Posts
The spare is 18inch, Modernspare assures me it fits over the Type S calipers, but since the base 2021 TLX 18's would not fit I am skeptical, has anyone with an S tried these?
I see people talking about a 19inch kit but don't see it on their website, could someone share the URL for the 19inch TLX spare?
My Acura dealership says they will have a spare kit shortly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The spare is 18inch, Modernspare assures me it fits over the Type S calipers, but since the base 2021 TLX 18's would not fit I am skeptical, has anyone with an S tried these?
I see people talking about a 19inch kit but don't see it on their website, could someone share the URL for the 19inch TLX spare?
My Acura dealership says they will have a spare kit shortly.
The 19" kit isn't from Modernspare, but it's from Acura directly. There's three part numbers that Acura offers for spare tire kits:
06421-TGV-A01 (18”)
06421-TGV-A11 (19”)
06421-TGZ-A00 (20”)
From this PDF that TLX_A-Spec posted earlier: https://www.tlxforums.com/attachments/bii14301-36-pdf.26514/

I may just order the kit myself and see what size spare tire is required and then order that separately.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For anyone wondering, Edward'TLS at AcuraZine stated that the spare tire size is the same across all three kits from Acura. The only difference is the sticker that comes with each kit stating the tire size/inflation pressures that goes on the door jamb since the TLX can come with 3 different wheel sizes (18" on base, 19" on Advance or Tech, 20" with the Type S).

Otherwise, the spare tire size should be 145/60R20, of which there's apparently a closeout deal at Tire Rack for Pirelli spares in this size for ~$96: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Spare+Tyre&partnum=46MR0TEMP

Much cheaper than the Continental brand spare of the same size, which comes in at ~$225.

Alternatively, the spare tire part # appears to be 42751-KEN-012 based on what others are reporting at the other forums, but it's not clear what size this spare is, so I'm not able to confirm. This one comes in at ~$124 at most places online though.

I've got the Pirelli spare on order from Tire Rack and the Acura spare kit on order from Acura Parts Warehouse, so we'll see if it all fits together!

·
Registered
54 Posts
For anyone wondering, Edward'TLS at AcuraZine stated that the spare tire size is the same across all three kits from Acura. The only difference is the sticker that comes with each kit stating the tire size/inflation pressures that goes on the door jamb since the TLX can come with 3 different wheel sizes (18" on base, 19" on Advance or Tech, 20" with the Type S).

Otherwise, the spare tire size should be 145/60R20, of which there's apparently a closeout deal at Tire Rack for Pirelli spares in this size for ~$96: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Spare+Tyre&partnum=46MR0TEMP

Much cheaper than the Continental brand spare of the same size, which comes in at ~$225.

Alternatively, the spare tire part # appears to be 42751-KEN-012 based on what others are reporting at the other forums, but it's not clear what size this spare is, so I'm not able to confirm. This one comes in at ~$124 at most places online though.

I've got the Pirelli spare on order from Tire Rack and the Acura spare kit on order from Acura Parts Warehouse, so we'll see if it all fits together!
Very interesting if that is the only difference. The price is all over the place. I've seen $118 up to $362. The 20" shows as replaced by the 18" part# on acuraoemparts.com

·
Registered
78 Posts
Does this mean that the 3 different tires have the same circumference? It has to , right? I dont think having a mismatched rotation, especially on AWD is a good idea.

Does the kit come with an insert that installs over battery ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Very interesting if that is the only difference. The price is all over the place. I've seen $118 up to $362. The 20" shows as replaced by the 18" part# on acuraoemparts.com
Interesting... I really have no idea why the costs are different. Comparing prices at just Acura Parts Warehouse at least, only the 20" part # 06421-TGZ-A00 seems to be more expensive at ~$140. The 18" and 19" kits are both ~$118.

The document that TLX_A-Spec linked to seems to support that they're substantially similar at least: https://www.tlxforums.com/attachments/bii14301-36-pdf.26514/. Perhaps an Acura dealer can confirm? Maybe it's the "Type S Tax" or something? I'm joking... kinda. I really wonder why the 20" kit costs more though.

Does this mean that the 3 different tires have the same circumference? It has to , right? I dont think having a mismatched rotation, especially on AWD is a good idea.

Does the kit come with an insert that installs over battery ?
So my understanding is that all three kits come with the same size wheel which use the same size spare tire. The 2021 TLX owner's manual also only lists one tire size for the spare wheel (pg. 631 of the manual or 632 of the PDF file @ http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/BTGV2121OM/enu/BTGV2121OM.PDF ):
Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Screenshot

The kit appears to have everything you need to properly install and mount the spare tire over the battery based on the parts listed in the document from the first link above in this reply/post. I'm admittedly surprised that the spare kit didn't cost more, but I'm not complaining! I'll post updates here once the kit and spare tire get here.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is either size of the spare rim kit will fit across 18, 19, 20 in. OEM wheel as long as overall diameter (with tire) is the same with OEM diameter. Asking because 18 " is cheaper than 19".
Everything I've read indicates that the actual wheel that comes with the spare kit is the same size no matter which part # you order for the kit. This means you could order the same size spare tire (145/60R20) no matter which kit you get. The screen clip from the owner's manual in my previous post seems to support that too.

The only difference is the sticker that goes over the existing one on the door jamb showing what pressures the tires need to be at because the door jamb sticker will show different tire sizes/pressures depending on if your TLX comes with the 18", 19", or 20" wheels.

I'm otherwise not sure why the kits cost different amounts if that is the only difference. Not enough people have purchased the kit at the different sizes and reported their findings that I can find online. I'm still waiting to hear back from my dealer on getting a kit myself so I'm not able to confirm with 100% certainty. I personally feel confident enough though at least that I ordered the spare tire already, I'm just waiting for the kit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used a tire calculator to look at the revolution rates of the stock tire sizes VS the 145/60r20 .. the 18" stock tire is calculating the biggest difference of 11 spins difference per mile. Im not sure what amount would start causing issues, especially with the AWD. no concern for FWD cars, if put into the rear. Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person Anyone who installed some other profile tire should really analyze this situation. There has to be some point of rotational difference where the cars can get Fd up, especially at higher speeds.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I used a tire calculator to look at the revolution rates of the stock tire sizes VS the 145/60r20 .. the 18" stock tire is calculating the biggest difference of 11 spins difference per mile. Im not sure what amount would start causing issues, especially with the AWD. no concern for FWD cars, if put into the rear. Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person Anyone who installed some other profile tire should really analyze this situation. There has to be some point of rotational difference where the cars can get Fd up, especially at higher speeds.
Yeah, diameter/circumference differences (thus leading to differences in revolution rates) are definitely a concern. Assuming though the spare kit from Acura only offers one size wheel that uses the same size spare for all trims, then it should work within tolerances/specs that Acura has determined to be safe. Unfortunately not that many people have bought the kit and reported their findings yet though, at least not that I can find. I asked my dealer what size spare the 19" spare kit should use and they couldn't confirm right off the bat, so I'm just working off of what the owner's manual says (145/60R20).

As for diameter differences, here's something I put together in Excel so we can easily compare the spare (assuming that one tire size) vs. the other tire/wheel sizes offered on the 2021+ TLX (numbers rounded throughout, I wasn't very good about significant figures or consistency with decimal places, but it gets us a good approximation):
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

The diameter difference % from the spare for the 19" and 20" wheels is less than 1%. My recollection from having BMWs was that xDrive could tolerate up to about a 1% difference in diameter before extended driving would mess things up. I don't know though how SH-AWD may differ here, but I assume that the tolerance is around the same or at least not more strict.

The evidence I've found so far points to 145/60R20 being the only spare tire size that the available spare kit uses for all TLX trims (as shown in a screen clip from the owner's manual in a previous post here).

That said, I'd be interested to see if anyone could confirm and/or provide more detail on what SH-AWD can tolerate though as far as diameter differences go but also if there are differences in the wheel/tires sizes for the spare kits for the 2021+ TLX. That 1.5% difference between the spare size and the 18" wheel/tire size is concerning, assuming though SH-AWD has similar tolerances that BMW's xDrive does. Maybe SH-AWD can tolerate more.

Otherwise, this is all the 2021 TLX manual really says about replacing tires on the car, so no specifics about tolerances there:
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes, Id say there is little to no concern, especially for the stock 19 and 20's models . Id bet that there are similar differences of the spare when they were included with the cars in years prior. Its certainly a concern for anyone who modified to an alternate tire profile size.They should understand that simply buying the recommended spare tire & wheel combo in this post is a big no-no.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are on the verge of buying a black Type S but this spare tire fiasco is a serious snag. The salesperson hasn’t got back to us yet, but everywhere I look seems to say it doesn’t have one.

How can a daily driver with 20” wheels NOT have this basic necessity? I don’t want some crappy tire sealant. I hope it’s bullshit because we love that car, but that would be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
139 Posts
It doesn't come with one. It does come with sealant and an inflator, it also comes with Acura-Link through which they will dispatch a flatbed to pick you up if the damage to the tyre is beyond that with which the sealant can deal. Or, you can buy a third-party spare kit as described in this thread.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Spares are unfortunately becoming less common as manufacturers opt for the cost and weight savings instead.

For what it's worth, in my ~20 years of driving, I've only ever needed a spare tire twice. Both were due to potholes that popped a tire on my car. First time my car had a spare and it was thankfully a local incident; second time my car didn't and it was unfortunately also in the middle of a 5-hour drive and I arrived at my destination 5 hours late. That's easily among the worst outcomes of not having a spare. Used roadside assistance with the second incident. A spare would've helped, but it also would've sucked driving 50 (as is usually recommended on a spare/donut) on an interstate where everyone's going 70-80mph.

Third time I could've arguably used a spare but didn't actually need it was also due to a pothole, but I had runflat tires then and I was close enough I could limp the car home and get a new tire ordered for replacement within the next couple days.

I've otherwise done many ~5-hour drives and daily commutes and really the odds of needing a spare are admittedly really low, even with the crappy roads I deal with in the Midwest, but I fully acknowledge that they are nice to have when you need them. I'm still pursuing a kit for the TLX, but it's hard to get info or updates on when anyone will be able to get them as they seem to be backordered everywhere.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts