Acura TLX Forum banner
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I also bought a tire plug kit….

ORCISH 70Pcs Tire Repair Kit, Heavy Duty Tire Plug Kit Flat Tire Repair Kit Tire Patch Kits Puncture Repair Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y2X9MR3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_MDXBFJ98X3MEKD250Z9P
These are great in a pinch at patching a tire. Amazon had a daily deal on a similar product a few days back, and I was tempted to buy one. My concern (which is probably unfounded BTW) is that on 19" wheels, adding a plug (even as lightweight as these are) would throw off the wheel balance at high speeds? I was told (true or not) that the best way to repair a tire, is to do it from the inside, where they take the tire off, patch it, re-mount it, and balance it again. (One of the main reasons I wanted the spare was so I could drop my wheel off to a tire shop for repair while the spare is mounted, and come pick it up later, rather than wait) When I was a college student, I used to use these plugs all the time, but my tires were 13" or 14" or 15" inch back then - which aren't as sensitive to slight imbalance issues as our 19" ones are. If my concerns are unfounded, I'd like to buy one of these kits myself.

·
Registered
2019 Acura TLX Base
39 Posts
If it throws it out of balance take the tires to a tire shop and have them replace the plugs with a patch… once you are safely off the road.

I never heard of plugs throwing the wheel not balancr.. since you are not taking the tires off the rim

if you take the tire off the rim to do a patch then you defo need a balance if you do not mark where the tires do not line up

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wouldn’t add the unnecessary weight to the car. Hell will freeze over before I try and change a tire LOL I like the plug and play of the inflation kit. And worst case? I called roadside let them deal with the dirt and bruise knuckles LOL

Will the 2021 TLX
have a compact spare tire accessory like previous models. Dealer said possibly next month. Another dealer said no due to battery in trunk.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello,

Did you verify it actually fits? There seems to be conflicting data on the lug pattern of the 2021 tlx. The RDX shows 5x113.4 and the tlx may be 5x120?

Regards
RW
My spare just shipped from modernspare today. From the pictures of the spare, it looks like there are 10 holes and thus 2 lug patterns on the spare. Perhaps 1 fits the RLX and the other fits the TLX. I would love it if someone posted instructions on how to put the spare in the well. My concern is that the wheel for the spare is made of steel and one would need to insulate it from coming in contact with the battery terminals and causing a short.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My spare just shipped from modernspare today. From the pictures of the spare, it looks like there are 10 holes and thus 2 lug patterns on the spare. Perhaps 1 fits the RLX and the other fits the TLX. I would love it if someone posted instructions on how to put the spare in the well. My concern is that the wheel for the spare is made of steel and one would need to insulate it from coming in contact with the battery terminals and causing a short.
Seems like Modern Spare improved their shipping times. A while back BryanD said he just used packing material to insulate the spare from the battery. Someone else speculated he may be located somewhere where the battery may be smaller in size. I don't think I would chance that. I'll most likely just put it in the trunk for long trips. Still don't know why the U.S. regulators didn't insist that auto makers offer a spare as an option. I'm sure the auto makers made their intentions known before producing autos with no spare.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Someone else speculated he may be located somewhere where the battery may be smaller in size.
I didn't see (or think of) that. Thanks

EDIT: I just looked at the picture @BryanD posted a while back. I think that will work in our TLX as it looks like the wheel has enough clearance? or is it that he put the packing material under the tires (enough to elevate them above the battery terminals) as well as around them?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I also bought a tire plug kit….

ORCISH 70Pcs Tire Repair Kit, Heavy Duty Tire Plug Kit Flat Tire Repair Kit Tire Patch Kits Puncture Repair Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y2X9MR3
Got a flat on my accord on Friday at home. The accord has a spare so I just put it on and went to Costco and they fixed it free because I got the tires there. Was talking about these flat fix kits with my nephew who is constantly at construction sites for his work (and hence gets lots of flats from all the stray nails). He said this type of kit is better. Stop & Go 1075 Standard Model Tire Plugger https://amazon.com/dp/B0018EUDHW/re...abc_3YKYWXF765JW5JAJSP7E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Expensive but I’m considering this type now to keep in our cars.

·
Registered
81 Posts

For those of us that must have the spare, my earlier fears of the spare causing the battery to short are unfounded. The positive terminal on the battery is at the top of this photo and is fully shielded. There is a metal bracket over the battery that hold the spare a couple of inches from the battery itself. It has a hole in it, for something to hold the spare in place. The hole does not seem to be threaded. I’m going to try to come up with something to secure the spare to the bracket . Wish me luck!

In the picture above, there is plenty of space for a toolkit under the tire by the back of the trunk. Floor of trunk is level with spare in the well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
View attachment 26437
For those of us that must have the spare, my earlier fears of the spare causing the battery to short are unfounded. The positive terminal on the battery is at the top of this photo and is fully shielded. There is a metal bracket over the battery that hold the spare a couple of inches from the battery itself. It has a hole in it, for something to hold the spare in place. The hole does not seem to be threaded. I’m going to try to come up with something to secure the spare to the bracket . Wish me luck!

View attachment 26438
In the picture above, there is plenty of space for a toolkit under the tire by the back of the trunk. Floor of trunk is level with spare in the well.
View attachment 26439
View attachment 26437

View attachment 26438
View attachment 26439

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks from me as well....I was curious if the floor would be level with the tire in place. Just to be sure....Are you in the US? I believe the US battery is bigger for the auto-stop (NOT)feature.

·
Registered
81 Posts
as far as keeping it in place: A long bolt, a nut (to keep the bolt from spinning), and a wing nut ( on top) ?
I have to remove the brace and I want to put a bolt with a big washer from underneath. I want to get a wing nut for the top which should be easy, but getting a washer big enough to hold the wheel (has to be bigger than the hub) has presented a problem so far. If anyone has ideas, please post.

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
139 Posts
I have to remove the brace and I want to put a bolt with a big washer from underneath. I want to get a wing nut for the top which should be easy, but getting a washer big enough to hold the wheel (has to be bigger than the hub) has presented a problem so far. If anyone has ideas, please post.
For the washer, how about a piece of 1/4 inch plywood cut to size and drilled as necessary? Or. if you know someone with a 3D printer they could whip up a custom washer from MDF (or whatever that stuff is) without trouble, but I don't know how that would hold up. Otherwise, any machine shop probably has something that would work in their scrap bin.

·
Registered
81 Posts
For the washer, how about a piece of 1/4 inch plywood cut to size and drilled as necessary? Or. if you know someone with a 3D printer they could whip up a custom washer from MDF (or whatever that stuff is) without trouble, but I don't know how that would hold up. Otherwise, any machine shop probably has something that would work in their scrap bin.
I was thinking of something like this circular saw blade 7.25 inch. I guess I could cover the sharp edges with a few layers of thick duct tape. Not doing this yet, still trying to come up with better ideas.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts