Acura TLX Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
modern spare (mentioned above by others) have kits that include the donut tire.

FWIW, I drove BMW's for seven years and never needed a spare tire. Depending on where you drive.....is it that much of an issue? I've only had a total of six flat repairs in 35 years of driving and only two of them would have required a spare and both times, the car was in a parking lot where I could have left it temporarily if I needed to.
You have been very fortunate regarding flat tires. I have had many more than that althoug I have been driving considerably longer than 35 years. I think having a spare is just an added measure of security. I avoid taking the TLX on unimproved roads but
modern spare (mentioned above by others) have kits that include the donut tire.

FWIW, I drove BMW's for seven years and never needed a spare tire. Depending on where you drive.....is it that much of an issue? I've only had a total of six flat repairs in 35 years of driving and only two of them would have required a spare and both times, the car was in a parking lot where I could have left it temporarily if I needed to.
You have been lucky in regard to the the number of flat tires. I have had many more than that although I have been driving considerably longer than 35 years. I didn't let the lack of a spare be a deal breaker but at one point I strongly considered the Honda Accord 2.0 Touring but in the end went with the TLX (my 4th). I think having a spare is just an added measure of security and may possibly avoid a tow. Locally, I'm not concerned but on a long trip would feel more secure having a spare.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’ve been driving since 1984 (some years did 35,000 miles) and I seem to remember using a spare maybe 2 or 3 times while out on the road. However, I’ve never until now owned a vehicle with anything bigger than 17” rims. My son has an M340i sedan with 19” rims like the TLX. If he didn’t have run flats, he would’ve needed a spare tire 2x in one week this past winter after hitting moderate sized potholes on the highway. Both times it was sidewall damage. The Michelin Primacy’s that my wife’s TLX came with are not run flats and so I’m playing it safe.

·
Registered
2019 Acura TLX Base
26 Posts
I have such mixed feelings with the lack of spare tire in the TLXs...

On one hand, a spare does give you that warm and fuzzy feeling.. put a donut on your tire and be on your way to the repair shop.

However, I drive many miles in my 25 years of car driving including 9 years commuting 80 miles each day on a busy suburban expressway. I been fortunate to not have a flat tire while on the expressway. Even if I did I would have no desire to pull the car over to the side and let other cars zip by me at 65-80 mph on a temporary scissor jack.

Much safe to wait for the tow truck to come get me... which is free while you are under regular warranty or CPO warranty..

After that, get a AAA membership to cover the towing..

A flat tire will definitely ruin your day.. might as well be safe and let the professionals take care of it... after way.. we are driving a luxury car after all :)

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD Apex Blue/Red
54 Posts

On one hand, a spare does give you that warm and fuzzy feeling.. put a donut on your tire and be on your way to the repair shop.

However, I drive many miles in my 25 years of car driving including 9 years commuting 80 miles each day on a busy suburban expressway. I been fortunate to not have a flat tire while on the expressway. Even if I did I would have no desire to pull the car over to the side and let other cars zip by me at 65-80 mph on a temporary scissor jack.

Much safe to wait for the tow truck to come get me... which is free while you are under regular warranty or CPO warranty..

A flat tire will definitely ruin your day.. might as well be safe and let the professionals take care of it... after way.. we are driving a luxury car after all :)
I just dont understand why a car with no spare, does not have run flat tires?!?! Its so weird, I have not seen this before. All my previous cars with no spares has had run flats.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just dont understand why a car with no spare, does not have run flat tires?!?! Its so weird, I have not seen this before. All my previous cars with no spares has had run flats.
As a former BMW owner......I just have to laugh at all of this. For seven years, I've listened to BMW owners bitch and moan about run flat tires. I've seen hundreds of posts over the years where people say that they switched from run-flats to go-flats and just put an air compressor and patch kit in their trunk. Acura provides the air compressor and tire sealant.....and Acura drivers want run flats? It's pretty frickin' hilarious.

I'm guessing that 99% of the flat tires that people experience can be repaired with the kit provided with the car and that almost all of the angst is just people being unhappy. I'd be curious to know if there is even one owner of a 2021 TLX on this board that had a tire failure so bad that the kit wouldn't work or if this is a bunch of hand wringing about nothing.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD Apex Blue/Red
54 Posts
As a former BMW owner......I just have to laugh at all of this. For seven years, I've listened to BMW owners bitch and moan about run flat tires. I've seen hundreds of posts over the years where people say that they switched from run-flats to go-flats and just put an air compressor and patch kit in their trunk. Acura provides the air compressor and tire sealant.....and Acura drivers want run flats? It's pretty frickin' hilarious.

I'm guessing that 99% of the flat tires that people experience can be repaired with the kit provided with the car and that almost all of the angst is just people being unhappy. I'd be curious to know if there is even one owner of a 2021 TLX on this board that had a tire failure so bad that the kit wouldn't work or if this is a bunch of hand wringing about nothing.
Well actually id rather have a spare and no run flats. But if they are giving me a car with no spare, then it should have run flats.

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts

Agree - but anyone who regularly travels far from home will not want to deal with an unrepairable tire when in unfamiliar territory. Yes 0.1% chance of really needing a spare. But especially if it’s unrepairable, you’ll want to replace it with the same brand/model that you have on the other 3 rims, which means you will most likely need to special order it. The spare does buy you time for that.

Besides for changing spares, there is also a small (but measurable) chance that you’ll need a jack in the car. (I just needed one in my accord when the plastic engine guard became partially detached and was dragging. (I won’t get under a jacked up car as it’s dangerous, but it did allow me to reach in and properly tie it in place so it wouldn’t be dragging)

I will acknowledge that I spent close to $400 to get the spare kit for the 0.1% chance we will ever need it.

I too don’t like runflats - they are expensive and don’t ride nicely.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just ordered the Modern Spare RLX kit. I wonder if we could've just ordered an RLX kit from Acura? I've seen them for under $200 but you must supply the tire. I can't imagine that the donut tire is more than $100. I sure hope the RLX kit from modernspare.com does the trick for me too. I also hope I never have to use it.
Do you have any info from Modern Spare regarding shipping times. I ordered the TLX kit with an estimated delivery date of on or before May 20 but still haven't gotten any info regarding shipment of the kit. A couple of weeks ago their website had an information alert that said a shipment of spare tire kits was received and they are working to clear the backlog but didn't hear anything else.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do you have any info from Modern Spare regarding shipping times. I ordered the TLX kit with an estimated delivery date of on or before May 20 but still haven't gotten any info regarding shipment of the kit. A couple of weeks ago their website had an information alert that said a shipment of spare tire kits was received and they are working to clear the backlog but didn't hear anything else.
That’s not good. My order didn’t arrive yet either but isn’t due until June 17. I think that they had a chat on their website because I did consult with them before I ordered. Otherwise call them. They are a small business and it wouldn’t surprise me if they are overwhelmed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They told me shipping time is slow right now, could be up to 5 weeks

·
Registered
11 Posts
That’s not good. My order didn’t arrive yet either but isn’t due until June 17. I think that they had a chat on their website because I did consult with them before I ordered. Otherwise call them. They are a small business and it wouldn’t surprise me if they are overwhelmed.
I did chat with a customer service representative a short time ago. He said they anticipate my order to ship in 10 to 14 days. He also said they really appreciated my patience - perhaps they are getting some criticism for slow shipping times. He also said the Covid 19 issue slowed them down.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did chat with a customer service representative a short time ago. He said they anticipate my order to ship in 10 to 14 days. He also said they really appreciated my patience - perhaps they are getting some criticism for slow shipping times. He also said the Covid 19 issue slowed them down.
I checked my Amex and they did take my money the day I placed the order. I don’t think that is unusual for small businesses. However, waiting 30+ days for something that’s been paid for doesn’t give warm & fuzzies that’s for sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I checked my Amex and they did take my money the day I placed the order. I don’t think that is unusual for small businesses. However, waiting 30+ days for something that’s been paid for doesn’t give warm & fuzzies that’s for sure.
I agree. Their website does say that the price is charged when the order is placed. I believe it also said the order can be cancelled before the item is shipped but after shipping you need a return authorization. They appear to be an ok company as I couldn't find any bad reviews and found no BBB complaints (although they are not a listed BBB company - also not sure the BBB ratings have as much weight today as they did in the past). They have been in business 4 years so I guess they must have satisfied customers. Also paying with a credit card does (hopefully) give a certain amount of protection if there is a real problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree. Their website does say that the price is charged when the order is placed. I believe it also said the order can be cancelled before the item is shipped but after shipping you need a return authorization. They appear to be an ok company as I couldn't find any bad reviews and found no BBB complaints (although they are not a listed BBB company - also not sure the BBB ratings have as much weight today as they did in the past). They have been in business 4 years so I guess they must have satisfied customers. Also paying with a credit card does (hopefully) give a certain amount of protection if there is a real problem.
Just got confirmation that the TLX spare tire kit I ordered has shipped. FEDEX tracking indicated that the item was picked up and is in transit. I had a couple of chats the past week with customer service and they were very nice and helpful. I guess they were just backlogged.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Totally agree. There is no way I would consider trying to change a flat on an urban expressway. I probably will not carry the spare tire kit when I am in the suburban city area - just toss it in the trunk for long trips into more remote areas. Even then I would call a road service either insurance provided, AAA or ACURA ROAD ASSISTANCE. A problem here though is that quite frequently cell service is not available

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just got confirmation that the TLX spare tire kit I ordered has shipped. FEDEX tracking indicated that the item was picked up and is in transit. I had a couple of chats the past week with customer service and they were very nice and helpful. I guess they were just backlogged.
Thank you for the update. I guess based on your May 20 and my Jun 17 estimates, Mine will get shipped in 4 weeks or so. Please let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
11 Posts

In an earlier post I described a flat that the repair kit would not have helped. It wasn't on a TLX but a Subaru Forester that has a spare tire. The tire lost air immediately although it wasn't a blowout. It happened on the return from a long trip and was in the outskirts of a suburban area. I called road service and drove to a tire shop the next day. The tire sales person sait it apprared the tire failed around where the tire meets the rim -perhaps due to a manufacturing defect as it had only 16K miles on it. It would have been a real problem if it happened 3 hours earlier as we were on a paved but remote mountain road - very little traffic and intermittent cell service. If the vehicle had no spare it would have been a very difficult situation. Rare things good and bad happen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you for the update. I guess based on your May 20 and my Jun 17 estimates, Mine will get shipped in 4 weeks or so. Please let us know how it works out.
Note Modern Spare has added some info to their on line home page regarding the backlog and effect of Covid 19 on shipping. The info also indicates that if your order ships
Note that Modern Spare has added some info to their on line home page regarding backlogs and Covid 19 effect on shipping. It also indicates that if your order ships past the date on the order you are to receive free a Highway Safety Kit. Check it out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In an earlier post I described a flat that the repair kit would not have helped. It wasn't on a TLX but a Subaru Forester that has a spare tire. The tire lost air immediately although it wasn't a blowout. It happened on the return from a long trip and was in the outskirts of a suburban area. I called road service and drove to a tire shop the next day. The tire sales person sait it apprared the tire failed around where the tire meets the rim -perhaps due to a manufacturing defect as it had only 16K miles on it. It would have been a real problem if it happened 3 hours earlier as we were on a paved but remote mountain road - very little traffic and intermittent cell service. If the vehicle had no spare it would have been a very difficult situation. Rare things good and bad happen.
It's all about playing the odds. I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles over a 35 year period and only had one instance where the spare tire kit in the TLX wouldn't have been useful.....and the one time I had an issue, it was my own damned fault because I was an impetuous 27 year old kid driving like an idiot. I pulled into a parking spot too fast and the tire bumped into the bumper block at the exact spot where there was a wheel balancing weight and it cut the sidewall. Freak occurrence that happened 24 years ago.

I don't begrudge someone putting a spare tire in their car because each person needs to determine how much risk that they want to take in life, but I still bet it's hard to find a person who has been left stranded in a meaningful way because of their TLX's lack of a spare tire. The truth of the matter is that the average person is more likely to find that their spare tire is unusable because it hasn't been checked for air level in years and it's flat when it's needed than a tire failure to happen that can't be fixed with the kit provided in the TLX.

The time when my wife's Mustang had a nail where it went flat in 45 seconds? I was lucky that it happened next to a gas station so I could put air in the spare tire. If I had been out on the open road.....I would have been hosed. With the TLX kit....I wouldn't have been. Of course, the truth is that the kit will have to have the sealant bottle replaced every few years, so even that does still have its own problems. Again, all about weighing risk and reward. Do you spend hundreds of dollars and add another 50 lbs of weight to an already heavy car...or do you take the risk that you'll get a flat that the kit won't fix?

41 - 59 of 59 Posts