Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
151 Posts
Will the 2021 TLX
have a compact spare tire accessory like previous models. Dealer said possibly next month. Another dealer said no due to battery in trunk.
The owner's manual for the '21 (p554, 584)) makes reference to an optional spare tire accessory kit. My dealer has no information.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks. I was afraid of that. My concern is blowouts with the low profile tire. My prior vehicle, Audi A4 also had a low profile and I had several blowouts during my 3 year lease.
In prior model years, the spare tire kit included a different foam insert for the well that accommodated the "donut" spare as well as the air compressor. My dealer has a part number now and I've placed an order. We'll see.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It may be that the tire kit isn't available in specific markets (like the US). I know US cars come with a honking huge group 94 battery...80 Ah rating...required for ample reserve for all the electronics and the auto idle shut-off "feature," but it takes up a great deal of space in the battery well.

If they use a smaller battery in other markets there may be sufficient clearances to allow the tire kit....there is a part number, it's just not available to U.S. dealers.

I gotta make friends with someone who owns a RLX (assuming I can find one). It may be the RLX kit physically fits, but with the big battery there might be some clearance issues that bother the department of Karens at NTHSA or Consumer Reports. I dunno, but I got a TLX and I got a borescope and I'd like to look.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have to remove the brace and I want to put a bolt with a big washer from underneath. I want to get a wing nut for the top which should be easy, but getting a washer big enough to hold the wheel (has to be bigger than the hub) has presented a problem so far. If anyone has ideas, please post.
For the washer, how about a piece of 1/4 inch plywood cut to size and drilled as necessary? Or. if you know someone with a 3D printer they could whip up a custom washer from MDF (or whatever that stuff is) without trouble, but I don't know how that would hold up. Otherwise, any machine shop probably has something that would work in their scrap bin.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It doesn't come with one. It does come with sealant and an inflator, it also comes with Acura-Link through which they will dispatch a flatbed to pick you up if the damage to the tyre is beyond that with which the sealant can deal. Or, you can buy a third-party spare kit as described in this thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts