Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been reading the threads here for a few months now, and finally picked up my car a month ago. However, I am having a number of issues with my car. I wonder if anyone has experienced the same issues with me and how they were fixed.
  1. The tape used to attached trunk lid spoiler is exposed - This was fixed by the dealership by pushing the tap back in under the spoiler.
  2. The brake pedal makes loud spring noise when the pedal is applied - This one dealership's response is that this is by design and all 2021 TLX has the same issues.
  3. Hood panel is not aligned with the front bumper piece, the centre line on the hood was way off from the bumper centre line- This was adjusted by the dealership.
  4. Suspension makes squeaky noise when going over bumps - This one is still to be diagnosed this week.
  5. The driver's side mirror puddle light doesn't light up upon delivery - Still waiting on parts for two weeks now...
I was really excited to get this car, even picked it over a BMW 540 for long term reliability. Now that I am having all these problems within the first month of ownership, this really makes question Acura's quality control.

If anyone can share if they have the same issues and can offer some insight and solution that would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I haven't noticed any of those issues. The two issues that I've had so far are:

1) Imperfection in the windshield in front of the passenger seat about 6" above the dash and 6" from the right front a-pillar. Only visible from the driver seat when looking at an angle. Dealership told me that I'd have to elevate the concern to the district level if I wanted to pursue it. I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

2) If I'm talking on my cell phone when I start the car, the car's microphone will not work when the phone switches over to the car and I have to manually switch back to the handset until I complete the call. Subsequent calls after the system is fired up completely work fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
After one week of ownership (total of 230 miles on the odometer) my 2021 TLX A-Spec is back on the dealer lot awaiting a part that is on backorder until July. So, I will make my first, second, and possibly my third car payments on a car that is not in my possession. The problem is with the telescoping / tilting steering wheel mechanism that has a bad seal and is dripping a reddish brown lubricant into my driver footwell. I was told that the Acura Zone Rep will not escalate my issue, which could result in a faster part delivery. I’ve sent an email to Acura Client Relations / Acura Care and have not heard back (email sent 24 hours ago).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like we all need to get a lawyer or something to get this quality issues address with Acura. Whoever are doing the quality inspection job for them are not doing it. So much quality issues. My vehicle has so many issues… bad paint on the front hood, a very bad visible line on the front windshield, car not startup sometime... All they said is to bring it to the dealership and the dealership will ask to keep the car and said nothing is wrong with it a few days later. To me it’s doesn’t make any sense to purchases a $45,000+ car to have it sit at the dealership while I am driving a loaner car instead. With that being said, this will be my very last Honda/Acura I will ever own.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD Apex Blue/Red
54 Posts
Its just first year problems on a fully redesign cars. This is why they usually say dont get the first year of a brand new car. Im glad I only leased it. lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yikes, so many issues. I understand the first year models usually have some kinks to be worked out, but many of the problems we are experiencing are not some crazy technical problems, most are really basic. And should have been caught by quality control easily. This really makes me questions Acura as a brand.

I think it's safe to say this will be the first and last Acura, I just don't feel I got what I paid for, and I came from Toyota and Subaru. Way cheaper cars but have much better quality control, although all my old cars were made in Japan, and TLX was made in the USA. I wonder if that makes a difference... And to be honest, I'm already thinking about cutting my loss and get another car... Quite sad actually.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yikes, so many issues. I understand the first year models usually have some kinks to be worked out, but many of the problems we are experiencing are not some crazy technical problems, most are really basic. And should have been caught by quality control easily. This really makes me questions Acura as a brand.

I think it's safe to say this will be the first and last Acura, I just don't feel I got what I paid for, and I came from Toyota and Subaru. Way cheaper cars but have much better quality control, although all my old cars were made in Japan, and TLX was made in the USA. I wonder if that makes a difference... And to be honest, I'm already thinking about cutting my loss and get another car... Quite sad actually.
I totally agree with you. First year model or not, quality issues shouldn’t be the problem. By releasing it to the customers to catch the issues it is totally wrong. Everyone times are valuable, we are not being compensated for this. Matter of fact, at least be more responsive and helpful to the customer by providing clear solutions rather let us wait.

Just in case anyone need to contact Acura Client Relations. Here is the link: Acura Contact Us & Client Relations | Acura.com

I spoke to them today and they’ve opening a case and the case manager will be contacting in a few days. Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts

The issues with my car are minor enough that it won't keep me from considering another Acura....but I do hope that if I have an issue that I do find compelling that they take it seriously.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I totally agree with you. First year model or not, quality issues shouldn’t be the problem. By releasing it to the customers to catch the issues it is totally wrong. Everyone times are valuable, we are not being compensated for this. Matter of fact, at least be more responsive and helpful to the customer by providing clear solutions rather let us wait.

Just in case anyone need to contact Acura Client Relations. Here is the link: Acura Contact Us & Client Relations | Acura.com

I spoke to them today and they’ve opening a case and the case manager will be contacting in a few days. Good luck!
No kidding. First year model is not an excuse. And yes, it's such waste of time and gas money. I went back to the dealership twice within first two weeks of ownership. I hope your issues get resolved soon.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hence the reason I always buy a car that is about a year old and certified. Not only avoids the depreciation but usually the kinks don’t exist, and with better than new car warranty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
After one week of ownership (total of 230 miles on the odometer) my 2021 TLX A-Spec is back on the dealer lot awaiting a part that is on backorder until July. So, I will make my first, second, and possibly my third car payments on a car that is not in my possession. The problem is with the telescoping / tilting steering wheel mechanism that has a bad seal and is dripping a reddish brown lubricant into my driver footwell. I was told that the Acura Zone Rep will not escalate my issue, which could result in a faster part delivery. I’ve sent an email to Acura Client Relations / Acura Care and have not heard back (email sent 24 hours ago).
FYI, after 2 complaints via email and 1 by phone, I still have not been contacted by an Acura Client Relations case manager. I’ve been told by my dealer that the part required (steering column part # 53200-TGV-A04) is on national backorder until 7/13/21. Not happy about making car payments on a vehicle I don’t have.

·
Registered
50 Posts
FYI, after 2 complaints via email and 1 by phone, I still have not been contacted by an Acura Client Relations case manager. I’ve been told by my dealer that the part required (steering column part # 53200-TGV-A04) is on national backorder until 7/13/21. Not happy about making car payments on a vehicle I don’t have.
Just out of curiosity, did you consider asking them to provide you with a free set of the all weather floormats so you could drive the car in the mean time...or is the leak so bad that it would still be too much of an issue?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just out of curiosity, did you consider asking them to provide you with a free set of the all weather floormats so you could drive the car in the mean time...or is the leak so bad that it would still be too much of an issue?
I first noticed the leak when a small (size of a quarter) pool formed on the all weather mats that I switched out for the stock carpeted floor mats, which were only a week old. The issue is the steering column is one piece and includes the housing where the bad seal resides (on the part of the column that allows for the tilting/telescoping movement). If enough lubricant in the sealed mechanism eventually leaks out —- I was told by the dealer —- it would compromise steering and be dangerous.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Acura Client Relations also ghost out on me as well. Call them and left a voicemail but still no return phone call yet. I was told two business days. What a joke. ( Acura brand is looking really great right now with customer complaining for help)

Sorry to hear that you can not enjoy/drive your vehicle while making your payment. Is the dealership told you that your vehicle will be at the dealership until 7/13/21? If that is the case, you should consider calling your state attorney general office - lemon law to assisting with your situation. Note: you might wanted to ask the dealership for the repair invoice with the part delivery date and keep all dealership repairs invoice describing your issues and with potential risk when driving, service in with mileage and out date, your loaner/rental vehicle etc… if you plan to file a lemon law. Check your state lemon law page for more information cause every state are different.

Good luck and I hope this will help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was able to speak with what I will describe as an entry level customer service “operator.” The person I spoke with took notes and asked me to clarify a few things. Fortunately, I had previously logged a complaint by email so I had a case number to refer to. That intake person told me that she had filed her notes with my case number and that a case manager would review the case in full, contact the dealer, and get back to me in “about a week.” I am less than confident that I will receive a call —- ever. Acura Customer Relations is definitely not on par with their desire to be considered a luxury brand. “In about a week?” Seriously?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not impressed by Acura, but also not surprised. Sorry guys. I heard back from Acura Canada finally, after over a week of wait, this is the very standard corporate response I received:

Thank you for your response.

Kindly note that there are no recalls, product updates, or warranty extensions regarding this concern. Should there be any of the above the owner of the vehicle will be notified. In the event that a repair is required, we rely on our trained technicians at your servicing Honda dealership to inspect the vehicle and report their findings to ensure that the correct repair procedure is followed. The dealer will need to be able to duplicate firsthand the concerns you are experiencing in order to determine the root cause and the appropriate next steps. In you case the dealership has stated that this is not affecting or causing the vehicle to operate as expected. We would recommend that you stay in contact the service of your local Honda dealership with your regular maintenance and service regarding the brakes of the vehicle.

We appreciate the time you have taken to contact us, and for allowing us the opportunity to respond.

I've already had two Acura dealerships diagnosed my car. Right now, the responses I have heard is really just neither the dealerships and Acura Canada want to take responsibility. A few of us are really not having a great time with the TLX...

·
Registered
24 Posts
My issues so far. My puddle lights on both sides died within a month of owning the care under 1k miles. My driver side door. I thought it was just me, but whenever I get in and close it, it never closes. I have to swing it out and close it harder. I thought it was just me, but I read others are having the same problem and it's a known issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My issues so far. My puddle lights on both sides died within a month of owning the care under 1k miles. My driver side door. I thought it was just me, but whenever I get in and close it, it never closes. I have to swing it out and close it harder. I thought it was just me, but I read others are having the same problem and it's a known issue.
Yikes, worse than my case with the puddle lights. Do you know how long you will need to wait for the parts? I ordered a month ago and I still don't have an ETA...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yikes, worse than my case with the puddle lights. Do you know how long you will need to wait for the parts? I ordered a month ago and I still don't have an ETA...
I called the dealership and asked if they were known issues and if there were Acura official fixes for them. They said they would need to see the car to see of its this issue or that issue causing it before determining what was wrong with it and the fix blah blah. I decided that I'd wait a bit to see what others are having done to fix them. I don't want to have them "fix" the puddle lights only to have them die again and have to get replaced yet again. What did your dealership say about the issue?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I called the dealership and asked if they were known issues and if there were Acura official fixes for them. They said they would need to see the car to see of its this issue or that issue causing it before determining what was wrong with it and the fix blah blah. I decided that I'd wait a bit to see what others are having done to fix them. I don't want to have them "fix" the puddle lights only to have them die again and have to get replaced yet again. What did your dealership say about the issue?
Sorry to hear that. They are not being very helpful at all.

My light already didn't work when I took delivery on day 1. A week later they diagnosed it to be faulty parts, they didn't mention what is broken specifically. Then strangely it started to work half of the time. Sometimes it lights up normal, sometime it flickers, sometimes doesn't turn on at all.

The dealership said they ordered the bulb and harness in case they both need to be replaced. I've been waiting for a month now, with no ETA. Frustrating situation. I'm thinking about cutting my loss and to go with a different brand of vehicle in a few months. Just don't want to deal with problems anymore.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts