Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Total Miles: 716
Longest single trip: 186
Avg Fuel Econ, all situations: Don't care (not bad...somewhere around 21 in mostly suburban env)
Problems/Malfunctions/Issues: None.

We love this thing. Fun to drive, responsive, peppy, comfortable. Acura appears to have hit handling and performance targets. The "normal" setting of the IDS is just about perfect for suburban environment...if only you could set the default for the idle engine stop "feature" to disabled. The 2.0 Turbo engine/10 sp trans is a stronger combination than one would think at first glance. The car is by no means a stop-light drag racer, but there's more than enough performance AVAILABLE for any reasonable driving situation (and some not so reasonable ones) on demand. My original plan was to hold out for the S-type and the 6 cyl motor...but the test drive killed that. If you're planning to buy the 6, drive the four first and then have a long, hard talk with yourself about what's really important. OTOH, I can't wait to drive the 6. If it turns out to be a "must have" the wife's gonna have one more reason to be mad at me.

Not a gripe, but there's more wind/tire noise than I would have expected at this price point, but that may be "sporty" design...neighbor's '20 BMW M340i is nosier over same roads and same speeds (it's an 'effing rocket, but I don't see the need for that kind of performance and have better use for the $16K price difference, but see last para). The '20 Audi S4 I drove prior to buying the TLX wasn't exactly quiet, either.

The telematics are miles ahead of anything else I've experienced, but they're not something you can "learn on the fly." Once you have it down things "just work." Take the time to learn the system and run all the menus at the first opportunity after taking delivery. The system is immensely configurable. The Touchpad takes practice, but once learned is highly useful.

I would have bet my fourth-born child that the front camera "feature" was useless. So long, Caroline. Have a nice life. It's brilliant. None of the front hazard warning systems register the bottom of the front valence, though...it's still possible to scrape it on bumper barriers. People look at me funny when I'm down apologizing to the car for mis-judging the barrier.

I'm 68 years old, stand 6' 1" and weigh 190 lbs. I don't have any health or mobility issues that impact driving, but egress from the driver's seat takes a little planning. The distance from the seat edge to door sill is quite wide and I have to make sure when parking there's sufficient space to get the door far enough open. Still, the Acura is leagues better in this regard than the Porsche Panamera and not much worse than the BMW 5 series.

It would have been nice if Acura had picked up wireless Apple Car Play for '21 (I'm told it's coming), but then again their implementation is limited (can't bring WAZE or Google Maps into the system, for example) so I don't use it much. Bluetooth audio well integrated without needing Car Play.

The pull-down handle on the inside of the trunk lid is just placed poorly (for me). Everything else on the car is power assisted, why not the deck lid....<g>. Seriously, the trunk is plenty large but the opening could be bigger. Lift-over is good, though. Another note on the trunk: Your sales rep will try to sell you some bag hooks for $13 or so. Buy them. They're priceless.

Black cars still need to get washed once a week. Plan on it.

I'm really happy with the car overall (and in detail, for that matter). Can't imagine there's a better value in it's class.

·
Super Moderator
867 Posts
Avg Fuel Econ, all situations: Don't care (not bad...somewhere around 21 in mostly suburban env)

We love this thing. Fun to drive, responsive, peppy, comfortable. Acura appears to have hit handling and performance targets. The "normal" setting of the IDS is just about perfect for suburban environment...if only you could set the default for the idle engine stop "feature" to disabled. The 2.0 Turbo engine/10 sp trans is a stronger combination than one would think at first glance. The car is by no means a stop-light drag racer, but there's more than enough performance AVAILABLE for any reasonable driving situation (and some not so reasonable ones) on demand. My original plan was to hold out for the S-type and the 6 cyl motor...but the test drive killed that. If you're planning to buy the 6, drive the four first and then have a long, hard talk with yourself about what's really important. OTOH, I can't wait to drive the 6. If it turns out to be a "must have" the wife's gonna have one more reason to be mad at me.

Not a gripe, but there's more wind/tire noise than I would have expected at this price point, but that may be "sporty" design...neighbor's '20 BMW M340i is nosier over same roads and same speeds (it's an 'effing rocket, but I don't see the need for that kind of performance and have better use for the $16K price difference, but see last para). The '20 Audi S4 I drove prior to buying the TLX wasn't exactly quiet, either.

The telematics are miles ahead of anything else I've experienced, but they're not something you can "learn on the fly." Once you have it down things "just work." Take the time to learn the system and run all the menus at the first opportunity after taking delivery. The system is immensely configurable. The Touchpad takes practice, but once learned is highly useful.

I would have bet my fourth-born child that the front camera "feature" was useless. So long, Caroline. Have a nice life. It's brilliant. None of the front hazard warning systems register the bottom of the front valence, though...it's still possible to scrape it on bumper barriers. People look at me funny when I'm down apologizing to the car for mis-judging the barrier.

I'm 68 years old, stand 6' 1" and weigh 190 lbs. I don't have any health or mobility issues that impact driving, but egress from the driver's seat takes a little planning. The distance from the seat edge to door sill is quite wide and I have to make sure when parking there's sufficient space to get the door far enough open. Still, the Acura is leagues better in this regard than the Porsche Panamera and not much worse than the BMW 5 series.

It would have been nice if Acura had picked up wireless Apple Car Play for '21 (I'm told it's coming), but then again their implementation is limited (can't bring WAZE or Google Maps into the system, for example) so I don't use it much. Bluetooth audio well integrated without needing Car Play.

The pull-down handle on the inside of the trunk lid is just placed poorly (for me). Everything else on the car is power assisted, why not the deck lid....<g>. Seriously, the trunk is plenty large but the opening could be bigger. Lift-over is good, though. Another note on the trunk: Your sales rep will try to sell you some bag hooks for $13 or so. Buy them. They're priceless.

I'm really happy with the car overall (and in detail, for that matter). Can't imagine there's a better value in it's class.
Nice summary - thanks for the first hand review! I've got the bag hooks in my 2018 model trunk also. They're great for keeping your groceries from rolling around in the trunk after you take a sharp corner, haha! My only complaint about them is that sometimes they take a bit of effort to remove them from the hooks. I can't remember - have you posted any pics of your car? If not, would love to see some. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
934 Posts

Nice write up. My 2015 is really showing its age! Apple Car Play: I'd die for a wired version (but not at any price).
You are right about the door and leaving room to open it fully (2015 or 2021). At times I would like to have a "powered" close feature.
The trunk pull down is a feature that should be standard in any car with a trunk. Avoids all the finger prints on the trunk lip..
Happy travels.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks for the write up. Currently looking at either 2021 TLX SH AWD ; A Spec vs Audi A4 Premium Plus. Currently own the 2017 A4. Test driove TLX and was very impressed with the drive. Handles quite well but the A4 has a bit better tight steering. One feature on the TLX that I did not look at was to see if it had a compact spare tire. That’s important to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Funny you mention the steering of the new A4. I found it a bit twitchy, especially just off center. Anyway...

My TLX did not come with a spare tire. Instead, they provide an electric air compressor and a tube of tire sealant. If that is not sufficient to deal with the problem the remedy is to call Acura Assist and have them send a flatbed.

When I bought the car there was no spare tire option available, but that might have changed.

I came to my TLX from a 2001 Audi A6/2.7T that I loved enough to keep 20 years. They're fabulous automobiles. I moved to another brand not because because the A4 is not an appealing car, but because after my A6 went out of warranty a curious thing happened. Every oil change brought about $1000 in other repair/maintenance expenses. When the car turned 20 I had my (independent) mechanic go through it and list things that ought to be done if I were to keep the car a bit longer, and prepare an estimate.

I bought the TLX the next day. I'm hoping it will prove to be more like a Honda than a Merc or BMW in the out years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting. I drive a 2017 A4 and according to mechanic, the low profile and “40” tires were the reason I had 6 blowouts. I notice the new Acura is also low profile with a similar height tire. The lack of a compact spare may be a dealbreaker and I will get another Audi. I do slightly do prefer the Acura SH AWD A spec and got an excellent quote.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts