Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my blue TLX SH-AWD A-Spec last week and got around to a drive on a small windy mountain road yesterday. Wow! I wasn't looking to get the AWD but the blue A-Spec I wanted at the dealership had it, so I got it. After my drive yesterday, I'm very glad I have the SH-AWD.

We've got a windy mountain backroad nearby that I've driven various cars on for 30 years. Without a doubt the TLX SH-AWD handled the road better than anything else I've driven. And it wasn't a small difference, it was a shocking difference. The previous best car was an Audi TT Quattro. I actually expected the TLX to perform worse than the TT due to its larger size and weight, but the TLX still handled significantly better. Every turn was on rails--smooth as butter, completely controlled, even as I took tight corners at higher and higher speeds. I kept expecting to hear a tire squeal, get some understeer, or otherwise feel the car tell me it was at its limit. But the TLX just took the corner gracefully, staying in its lane, with no indication it couldn't corner even faster.

Eventually I chickened out and wouldn't push the car further. I couldn't believe the turns it was taking and started to worry what might happen when a limit was finally reached. I've never wanted to drive a car on a race track as much as I do this one. If you've got the SH-AWD, I highly recommend you find an empty country road with lots of tight curves.

[Edit--also no defects to report so far, and the sound system is awesome]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Got my blue TLX SH-AWD A-Spec last week and got around to a drive on a small windy mountain road yesterday. Wow! I wasn't looking to get the AWD but the blue A-Spec I wanted at the dealership had it, so I got it. After my drive yesterday, I'm very glad I have the SH-AWD.

We've got a windy mountain backroad nearby that I've driven various cars on for 30 years. Without a doubt the TLX SH-AWD handled the road better than anything else I've driven. And it wasn't a small difference, it was a shocking difference. The previous best car was an Audi TT Quattro. I actually expected the TLX to perform worse than the TT due to its larger size and weight, but the TLX still handled significantly better. Every turn was on rails--smooth as butter, completely controlled, even as I took tight corners at higher and higher speeds. I kept expecting to hear a tire squeal, get some understeer, or otherwise feel the car tell me it was at its limit. But the TLX just took the corner gracefully, staying in its lane, with no indication it couldn't corner even faster.

Eventually I chickened out and wouldn't push the car further. I couldn't believe the turns it was taking and started to worry what might happen when a limit was finally reached. I've never wanted to drive a car on a race track as much as I do this one. If you've got the SH-AWD, I highly recommend you find an empty country road with lots of tight curves.

Welcome. I just pick up mine last week. Yes, I have to agree with you, it is an exceptional car.

May she serve you well!!!

Cheers!

Reactions: MystryBox

·
Registered
2018 Acura TLX A-Spec V6
10 Posts

Welcome and glad you're really enjoying the car!

Reading this just makes me want the Type S even more and I can't wait for its release.

Reactions: MystryBox

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX SH-AWD with Technology Package
7 Posts
Except for a few other bells and whistles, the SH-AWD is the only reason to buy a TLX. Anyone who doesn't want SH-AWD might as well buy a Honda Accord 2.0- same engine, faster, and useable back seats.

Reactions: rbmorse

·
Registered
2016 Acura TLX V6 Tech Package
90 Posts
Except for a few other bells and whistles, the SH-AWD is the only reason to buy a TLX. Anyone who doesn't want SH-AWD might as well buy a Honda Accord 2.0- same engine, faster, and useable back seats.
ehh I had a choice to go Honda but the newer accords don't look pretty to me, even if it is faster.... the TLXs are better looking cars so I went with my TLX I had an option of getting one with SH AWD within my budget, but I didn't want a black car so I chose the one with the most unique color on the lot.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX SH-AWD with Technology Package
7 Posts
ehh I had a choice to go Honda but the newer accords don't look pretty to me, even if it is faster.... the TLXs are better looking cars so I went with my TLX I had an option of getting one with SH AWD within my budget, but I didn't want a black car so I chose the one with the most unique color on the lot.
I hear you! We briefly considered Accord, but my wife said "NO!" She hates the look of the accord. I'm not wild about it either (don't like almond-shaped cars). That and the S-AWD made the decision for us.

Reactions: MarcoTLX

·
Super Moderator
1,032 Posts

Nice testimonial, thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
66 Posts
Interesting report. I've found the OEM Michelins will sing like divas when nearing their limit, but as you described the SH-AWD system does a great job of moving power around to keep things within the envelope. Try the same road at the same speeds in a FWD model and you'll hear the difference. If you like sporty handling, the $2K for the awd system is a must have option, and kudos to the engineers who did such a great job sorting the calibrations for the TLX. You can tell that whoever signed off on the final specs is a person who drives for fun.

It's going to be interesting when the S-Type arrives. The extra weight on the front wheels is going to make as much difference in the car's handling as the extra power.

My neighbor has a BMW M340i with about 100 hp, 100 lbs.ft. and 150 pound weight advantage over my TLX and the biggest difference I notice on the road is that (outside of a stoplight drag race) is that the X-Drive BMW easily and eagerly overdrives it's tires and too-much excitement can result when you need it least. My 2 liter SH-AWD Acura won't do that so I can stay in the power longer and maintain momentum. Of course, his BMW runs away from me on the straights but I've got a nicer interior, a better audio system and vastly better AC than he does, not to mention $19K in my pocket.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree. I actually came from an accord 2.0 but wanted AWD, hence why I bought the TLX. You’re not wrong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts