Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2021 TLX Advance SH-AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently noticed that steering rack makes a creaking sound while the steering wheel is being turned side to side. This has been discussed on another Acura Forum and wanted to see how many members are also hearing this sound from their 2021. APPEARS that the issue is the steering rack and will need to be replaced, but currently on back order. Has anyone that has taken to the dealer received any other diagnosis for this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't have much of a creak when I turn, but I do hear a couple of distinct quiet clicks as I turn all the way especially in the mornings. The main thing I have is a lot of plastic creak/click/tick/chatter from the whole steering wheel area as I go over bumps. Some of it is from directly behind the circular horn piece. Some of it is from behind the steering wheel. If anyone has any DIY fixes I'd love to hear, because I don't think it's worth trying to get a replacement steering wheel/rack from Acura until they fix the underlying issue with the design. I'm going to contact my dealer and see if they know any fixes for the plastic noises before I take the time to go there

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been waiting for a new steering rack for 2+weeks to fix this issue on my car. I hear it pretty much every time I drive. I also need the puddle light replaced

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Been waiting for over a month for the steering rack to come in and also need driver side puddle light replaced. I too am also hearing an obnoxious plastic creaking noise when turning the
steering wheel behind the airbag. I received a notification with an airbag fault when they were diagnosing steering rack. I wonder if they took the steering wheel off and something wasn't attached properly. Never had this much plastic noise when turning the wheel a quarter turn or going over bumps.

·
Registered
19 Posts

I'm considering trying this, I see that the TLX has two of those key holes. Don't see a third one. My main rattle when going over bumps is definitely coming from right behind the horn cover. The creaking when turning seems like it's from somewhere else

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have steering wheel/dash creak sounds also on my new TLX. Funny thing I had a loaner TLX for a week while the dealer resolved some paint issues and THAT one creaks also. Obviously a design defect and pretty disappointing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have steering wheel/dash creak sounds also on my new TLX. Funny thing I had a loaner TLX for a week while the dealer resolved some paint issues and THAT one creaks also. Obviously a design defect and pretty disappointing.
That's my thing...I want to take it to the dealer to get it fixed, but I want my time to be worth it. If they're going to replace parts that are designed the exact same way, then the issue is going to happen again. I was hoping for a kind of solution where the dealer could insert some felt or foam at a few key spots and have that take care of the noises

·
Registered
19 Posts
An update: took my car to the dealership today, they confirmed the noise I'm hearing and have ordered and are going to replace the clock spring and plastic trim where the airbag rests on. The tech and service desk person both seemed to be aware of the issue from other gen 2 TLXs that have been brought in

·
Registered
6 Posts
Recently noticed that steering rack makes a creaking sound while the steering wheel is being turned side to side. This has been discussed on another Acura Forum and wanted to see how many members are also hearing this sound from their 2021. APPEARS that the issue is the steering rack and will need to be replaced, but currently on back order. Has anyone that has taken to the dealer received any other diagnosis for this?
I took my car in for the same problem about a month ago, they told me they fixed it by putting foam in the steering wheel. It wasn’t fixed at all, i took it back a week ago and I’m stuck in a loaner car. The loaner car has no air conditioning and just about 60k miles. I will say Acura has made advancements since 2017(loan car is a 2017 RDX
) but this is really no way to treat a new customer or any customer. I have leased two mercedes, a bmw, and several hondas. I’m thinking about calling up acura and telling them i’m not going to pay this months lease payment if this continues. I don’t see any reason I should be paying my lease if the car in being repaired and i’m stuck in a piece of junk. Also the drivers side puddle light never worked on the car l, but i’ll let that one slide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took my car in for the same problem about a month ago, they told me they fixed it by putting foam in the steering wheel. It wasn’t fixed at all, i took it back a week ago and I’m stuck in a loaner car. The loaner car has no air conditioning and just about 60k miles. I will say Acura has made advancements since 2017(loan car is a 2017 RDX
) but this is really no way to treat a new customer or any customer. I have leased two mercedes, a bmw, and several hondas. I’m thinking about calling up acura and telling them i’m not going to pay this months lease payment if this continues. I don’t see any reason I should be paying my lease if the car in being repaired and i’m stuck in a piece of junk. Also the drivers side puddle light never worked on the car l, but i’ll let that one slide. My car is a 2021 tlx aspec

·
Registered
19 Posts
) but this is really no way to treat a new customer or any customer. I have leased two mercedes, a bmw, and several hondas. I’m thinking about calling up acura and telling them i’m not going to pay this months lease payment if this continues. I don’t see any reason I should be paying my lease if the car in being repaired and i’m stuck in a piece of junk. Also the drivers side puddle light never worked on the car l, but i’ll let that one slide.

Yeah there's really no reason you should be put in a loaner. They should order whatever parts are needed and then replacing those parts should be able to be done within a day. My dealership has ordered me a replacement clock spring and plastic trim where the airbag rests, due to arrive at the end of the month, and then I will take it in one day for install. Shouldn't be more than a 2-3 hour job. I would definitely escalate this to the dealership's management team

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just took my car in for the second time. First time they said the steering wheel needed foam in it, and the most recent time they said they replaced both struts and did an alignment on the car. The service advisor said the take had to call corporate and they told him that was the issue. I drove it home and the noise wasn’t gone. I’m going to call corporate directly tomorrow and see what can be done. I have had the car since the end of may and it only has 3000 miles on it. This has been a real nightmare and more than likely, when the lease is up, I’ll leave acura and will never buy one again. The only reason I say more than likely is, because my wife has an RDX and it is great, just a great car with no issues. So it’s the saving grace, but i will never get a TLX again. I might go back to bmw for a sedan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, I have a 2021 Advance and took mine to the dealership in June. I had a loaner for 2 weeks. The steering rack is still on back order and they do not have an ETA. I called Acura Client Services today, now awaiting a response see from them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, I have a 2021 Advance and took mine to the dealership in June. I had a loaner for 2 weeks. The steering rack is still on back order and they do not have an ETA. I called Acura Client Services today, now awaiting a response see from them.
good luck i reached out to them and they said to seek help from the dealer a few more times, and if they couldn’t help then they would get involved. I’m taking my car in for the third time tomorrow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
good luck i reached out to them and they said to seek help from the dealer a few more times, and if they couldn’t help then they would get involved. I’m taking my car in for the third time tomorrow.
The response I keep getting is that a case manager will call me back. They want me to call the dealership and provide them with the part number. The steering rack is on order supposedly with no ETA. I can go online and order this part today. Acura is really disappointing me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Acura has told me that this is not a known issue. The response I keep getting is that a case manager will call me back. They want me to call the dealership and provide them with the part number. The steering rack is on order supposedly with no ETA. I can go online and order this part today. Acura is really disappointing me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I just went to my local Acura dealership, which is why I go for all my service, and he heard the sounds from the steering wheel. He took a video and agreed that it’s not right. He’s filing the claim in the morning. I’ll keep you all updated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update: 2021 TLX Advance, I received a call from the dealer that the expected date of my steering rack coming in is 10/15. It’s been on order since 7/5/21. I’ll keep you posted.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts