Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 2021 Acura tlx A spec. The car performs great. My only issue is that when I’m driving on freeway over asfault it drives smooth and straight but when I drive over concrete and it has the grooves on concrete to prevent cars from sliding and better grip. The car swerves left and right repeatedly until I get back on regular roads. I have all Safty features on car. But I don’t drive with lane assist or anything like that. I do all driving. It’s just hard to explain but imagin the cars rear end moving left and right. It crazy and annoying. I believe it’s the new design Bridgestone tires. Already mad appointments at dealer. Car stated doing it since mile 100. I’ll be taking the mechanic from dealership for a ride so he knows what I’m talking about. Anybody having the same issues. Also steering makes a slight rubbing sound but so slightly Also if someone calles you while driving and you answer with car. It stay stuck on that annoying ring alert and it doesn’t stop until you hang up. Can’t lower the volume during that incident. Other than that. Love the car

·
Super Moderator
991 Posts
I too have experienced this phenomenon. I see this mostly on a resurfaced bridge The concrete texture does "grip" the tire better and will do as you discribe.
The other issues are part of the learning curve of the tech in this car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes exactly that’s what I meant couldn’t have said it better I’ve never had this issue with any other car that has brand new tires and I’ve had many cars with brand new tires I’m probably just going to request a different style of tire because to me if you get a little distracted that car is going to pull left or right all the sudden and you might end up hitting another car.

·
Super Moderator
991 Posts

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
87 Posts
Tires with a wide contact patch are more prone to this.

I'm not sure what the cure might be...the suspension tuning to gives the car that "sporty" response amplifies the effect. It may change a bit as the tires wear, but it's kind of expected with grippy compounds and wide contact patches.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve ran 285 19” before and didn’t have this issue. Maybe running them down but mine is only front wheel drive. But the weird thing is that the ass end feel like it moves more. Maybe loose bolts. Who knows

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just brought car into dealership. I had mechanic drive the car on the freeway. He was able to replicate the fish tailing. He’s like “ dude that’s not normal”. So they are keeping it. They gave me a rental

·
Super Moderator
991 Posts
Certainly let us know what they find out.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Curious to learn what you found out. My 2021 TLX Tech has Bridgestone 19" and I have not noticed this issue. I have 250 miles on the car and took a couple of long highway trips. Really rides smooth. I need to pay more attention to the road types. I had to keep from going over 90 mph, it is so smooth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK so very interesting the dealer was blaming me for damage underneath a carriage which they assumed I had ran over something supposedly the rim was bent and there’s a chunk missing out of the tire and it was out of alignment that’s what they originally claimed they did the alignment on the car for free because I told him I was not gonna pay for some thing that I didn’t do. they wanted me to pay for everything they just called me back right now saying that they drove the car on the same spot of road that I told him and that the car was fishtailing left and right aggressively and that the guy was shitting bricks because he was scared That they’ve never seen that issue on any of the cars and they were going to keep my car to find out what was wrong with it they were going to be testing the same exact model trim and front wheel drive car on the same road at the same speed to rule out if every car has the same issues or it’s just my particular car so far still in the Rental. 2021 Chevy equinox yay!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK so the Acura dealer call me back again they did test it totally different car with the same specs as mine same trim level and the other car did exactly the same thing so the Acura TLX 2021 has issues with suspension

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Curious to learn what you found out. My 2021 TLX Tech has Bridgestone 19" and I have not noticed this issue. I have 250 miles on the car and took a couple of long highway trips. Really rides smooth. I need to pay more attention to the road types. I had to keep from going over 90 mph, it is so smooth.

View attachment 26139
It is definitely a smooth ride but be careful on new construction on the freeway specially when there’s freshly poured concrete you can tell it’s white

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But are you willing to risk your family’s lives to find out. I’m not that’s why I took it in. Unless you are in that scenario that makes sense. But I bet no one will wait. It’s an aggressive feeling. Imagine you are driving at 70 mph and they you jerk the wheel to the left and right fast for 10 seconds. Only that will change your mind I’m just glad they kept it. I’m pretty sure recalls are coming soon and fast

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm glad mine doesn't do that, either on the Michelin Primacy tires it came with or the Pilot Sport 3 A/S it has now.

Hope they get yours sorted quickly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just be careful. I didn’t leve the city of Clovis and freno ca for 2 weeks and didn’t notice anything. The smoothest ride ever until I drove over that rough textured new concrete highway. What are the odds that they would randomly pick another car from lot and it acted the same. Again mine is is a 2021 Acura tlx ASpec front wheel drive. Maybe it’s only that type

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I'm glad mine doesn't do that, either on the Michelin Primacy tires it came with or the Pilot Sport 3 A/S it has now.

Hope they get yours sorted quickly.
I agree that I am glad mine doesn't do that, as of this moment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK so I got my car from the dealer yesterday April 27 of 21 and there’s nothing wrong with the car Acura technicians came and test drove the car as well as other cars and they found out that other cars do the same exact thing it’s pretty much has to do with what you guys said on the post the tires the width of the tires and unfortunately there’s nothing wrong with the car Everything is good with suspensions it’s just those wider Grooves caught on the road I asked what would happen in the event of an accident due to that issue and they said Acura has to be responsible for it because they’re signing off on the car And that it is not an issue so I just kept paperwork from the dealer stating they replicate the issue but Acura says that it’s not a hazard good luck guys

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the follow up.

What you're experiencing is called "tramlining" and I know it's a bit disconcerting. It should improve as the tires wear a bit, the road wears a bit and, more importantly, as you get used to the effect. Should not be enough to actually effect car control, although it does feel a bit weird when the thing starts skating off to the wilderness for no apparent reason. Be gentle with your corrections.

Here's a nice article from Tire Rack about the phenomena and some suggestions to mitigate (the tire pressure part may be particularly useful to you), but keep in mind the new TLX is designed and advertised as a "sports sedan" rather than a full-on luxury car and the suspension tuning and tire choice reflects those goals. You need those wide, stiff tires to obtain sharp handling responses but they have the downside of amplifying feedbacks from the road surface.

Good luck and don't be too worried. It's not normally a dangerous condition. Just unsettling until you get used to it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts