Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, as a new member here, I just picked my brand new 2020 TLX last weekend, and this is my first post. I am now having some questions about the windows tint.

First of all, is TLX coming with tint windows? The colours of the windows look different from those of my other cars. Do I still need a separate window tint?

Secondly, if yes, I am currently considering the Xpel XR or XR Plus. Is there anyone using it? How do you think about it? I have used LLumar tint a lot, how does Xpel compare with it?

Thank you so much!

·
Super Moderator
765 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new TLX.

Take a look here:

Window tinting is included in the TLX. There are DOT(?) regulations on the level of tint allowed on the windshield, front windows and rear windows. Your state may amend these regulations (usually making them more stringent) which might prevent you from added to the tint level. New York state added a window tint check to their annual vehicle inspection. The state troopers also have a device to check on the road (placing a sensor on both sides of the glass) for compliance to the tint regulation.

I did a quick search for Xpel. I cannot comment on that product, but I did get a paint treatment applied when my TLX was just days old (see my signature). Have never had to wax it since then and it still repels waters and looks great.

Let us know what you decide and as always take a few pictures to show it off!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new TLX.

Take a look here:

Window tinting is included in the TLX. There are DOT(?) regulations on the level of tint allowed on the windshield, front windows and rear windows. Your state may amend these regulations (usually making them more stringent) which might prevent you from added to the tint level. New York state added a window tint check to their annual vehicle inspection. The state troopers also have a device to check on the road (placing a sensor on both sides of the glass) for compliance to the tint regulation.

I did a quick search for Xpel. I cannot comment on that product, but I did get a paint treatment applied when my TLX was just days old (see my signature). Have never had to wax it since then and it still repels waters and looks great.

Let us know what you decide and as always take a few pictures to show it off!
Thank you so much for the reply, I will definitely post some pics after I have everything done on my car. So I am living in Ontario, based on the law, I can tint as dark as I want on rear windows, but for the driver and passenger side, I can only tint then up to 35%.

If the windows are coming with tinting, how do they work? I am talking about the solar energy and UV rejection.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You may already know this, but typical tint laws allow xx% total tint. With factory tint hovering around 10%, installing 35% film will cause the windows to block more light than allowed. Most jurisdictions seem to be flexible on this, but it is worth mentioning/considering.

That said, I have 18% film on my truck, and while it looks great, I will not be going that dark on the TLX. IMO, 35% is just the right compromise between dark enough and being able to see things out the windows at night.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may already know this, but typical tint laws allow xx% total tint. With factory tint hovering around 10%, installing 35% film will cause the windows to block more light than allowed. Most jurisdictions seem to be flexible on this, but it is worth mentioning/considering.

That said, I have 18% film on my truck, and while it looks great, I will not be going that dark on the TLX. IMO, 35% is just the right compromise between dark enough and being able to see things out the windows at night.
10% tint allows 10% light to transmit through, that's nearly limo black.

·
Registered
72 Posts
"10% tint (film)" allows 10% of the light to be transmitted.
The factory glass is tinted approximately 10% (i.e. it blocks about 10% of the light).

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Here in Alabama it allows a maximum of 35%.

When they replaced the front passenger window they tinted it 35% and it is very dark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts