Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all new to the forum definitely picking up a 2020 TLX tech package. I’ve done some research and they overall look like very solid cars. I would like to get the 2.4 I4 but can anyone give any pointers such as known issues, things to look out for on the test drive. I love the K24 engine blocks they’ve proven to be very reliable just need valve adjustments here and there but that typically happens on manual vehicles. My biggest concern would be the 8 Speed DC Transmission I’ve heard it’s problematic is that true? What is the maintenance like on the I4, any necessary upgrades?

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
Welcome to the forum. 😀

I do not know about the 2019 or 2020 but I have the 2018 and the ONLY transmission problem I had was my fault.

When my battery was old and started failing, it started displaying the know weird error messages. So, I went out and bought the best recommended battery and changed it. While it stopped all those weird error messages, it wasn't long before it started displaying P2845 & P2847 error codes. Now it actually had real transmission problems.

I took it to the dealer who promptly fixed it for $140. The dealer explained that P2845 Error Code - Shift Fork 'A' Position Sensor Incorrect Neutral Position Indicated, and that P2847 Error Code - Shift Fork 'C' Position Sensor Incorrect Neutral Position Indicated. These forks are what insures that the correct gear is selected for each shift.

The Service Manager said that they had realigned each fork and "Performed Calibration / Learn Procedure for both Transmission Shift Forks." I asked what would make the forks get out of alignment? The service manager pointed to the new battery that I had put in and asked, "Did you have a parallel battery connected when changing the battery?" "He said that without the parallel battery to keep everything in the same position while the battery was changed, that is how.

Once the forks were done, I have not had a problem since.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum. 😀

I do not know about the 2019 or 2020 but I have the 2018 and the ONLY transmission problem I had was my fault.

When my battery was old and started failing, it started displaying the know weird error messages. So, I went out and bought the best recommended battery and changed it. While it stopped all those weird error messages, it wasn't long before it started displaying P2845 & P2847 error codes. Now it actually had real transmission problems.

I took it to the dealer who promptly fixed it for $140. The dealer explained that P2845 Error Code - Shift Fork 'A' Position Sensor Incorrect Neutral Position Indicated, and that P2847 Error Code - Shift Fork 'C' Position Sensor Incorrect Neutral Position Indicated. These forks are what insures that the correct gear is selected for each shift.

The Service Manager said that they had realigned each fork and "Performed Calibration / Learn Procedure for both Transmission Shift Forks." I asked what would make the forks get out of alignment? The service manager pointed to the new battery that I had put in and asked, "Did you have a parallel battery connected when changing the battery?" "He said that without the parallel battery to keep everything in the same position while the battery was changed, that is how.

Once the forks were done, I have not had a problem since.
And the 2018 also has the 8 speed DCT? What’s your maintenance been like I believe the 2018 comes w the Same I4. Is there aftermarket parts or does everything have to be OEM, what are brake changes like, cooling, suspension whole 9 yards. Currently have a Subaru so I know how extensive maintenance can get 😂

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
And the 2018 also has the 8 speed DCT? What’s your maintenance been like I believe the 2018 comes w the Same I4. Is there aftermarket parts or does everything have to be OEM, what are brake changes like, cooling, suspension whole 9 yards. Currently have a Subaru so I know how extensive maintenance can get 😂
Yes, my 2016, 2.4L, I4 has the same 8 speed Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) and it is the best transmission I have had. Even my previous MDXs weren't as good. It is the smoothest shifting because of the DCT.

I would not know about parts as the only problem I have had is the self induced one I talked about above.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, my 2016, 2.4L, I4 has the same 8 speed Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) and it is the best transmission I have had. Even my previous MDXs weren't as good. It is the smoothest shifting because of the DCT.

I would not know about parts as the only problem I have had is the self induced one I talked about above.
Whats maintenance schedule like on these cars in terms of coolant, brakes, spark plugs etc. do the engines burn oil cause i believe the intake side is VTEC? What’s the audio system like for the tech package

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I’ve been reading through the form it looks like there’s a vibration issue at certain speeds on the 2020. Is this a common issue? Any verified repairs or is it just the tires. More likely I am going to get the 2020 because it looks like the 2015-2019 Gen was buggy and everything may have been fixed during the 2020 Gen

·
Registered
261 Posts
The vibration problem is on those with AWD! I prefer the 3.5 v6 with the updated trans software it shifts pretty good. The V6 is just so much smoother, with power to spare, I get 34 mpg going 79 mph on hwy using 93! octane. The v6 just matches the car better. The 2020 v6 does not have that annoying idle stop feature.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The vibration problem is on those with AWD! I prefer the 3.5 v6 with the updated trans software it shifts pretty good. The V6 is just so much smoother, with power to spare, I get 34 mpg going 79 mph on hwy using 93! octane. The v6 just matches the car better. The 2020 v6 does not have that annoying idle stop feature.
Wow I didn’t see that coming but I’m a 4Cyclinder Small Block fan. I can always tune adjust air fuel mixture get 29 city/39 highway. Plus the K24 has been proven to be a low maintenance engine, V6 more likely has a higher service internal because of the increased performance. Definitely sounds like you’re running Amsoil Signature in that engine tho!

·
Registered
261 Posts
v6 does not have higher service level, oil changes and maintenance items all driven by the maintenance minder, based on the way you drive, plugs timing belt 100k miles. Other than timing belt thats about the only additional thing requiring service compared to the I4. The 3.5 is a proven performer and has been around a very long time. Had the 3.5 in my 2010 tsx, great engine, no problems, and after 185,000 miles no oil useage between oil changes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
v6 does not have higher service level, oil changes and maintenance items all driven by the maintenance minder, based on the way you drive, plugs timing belt 100k miles. Other than timing belt thats about the only additional thing requiring service compared to the I4. The 3.5 is a proven performer and has been around a very long time. Had the 3.5 in my 2010 tsx, great engine, no problems, and after 185,000 miles no oil useage between oil changes.
That almost sounds like a dream glad to know the V6 is reliable hopefully it puts others at ease.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts