Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Acura TLX Elite A-Spec White with Red Interior
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I am new to the forums but I have just experienced a very strange thing about my Acura tlx
It’s a 2019 3.5 shawd elite a spec.
I’ve enjoyed it so far.
i am from Edmonton and did a day trip to sultan lake today.
I drove on cruise control the whole way there and back (cruise set at 120kmph)

when I got back into the city, I floored it from a stop and noticed that when vtech kicks in, there is a rattling sound. It seems to have came from the driver side. This happened consecutively for 10 pulls.

I went to shell and filled up premium fuel
The last tank I had in it was 94 from petro

my car has just under 24,000km on it and I baby it
Recent oil change and well taken care of.
Any ideas to what this noise was?

after I filled up it did it twice then stopped doing it after I put it in manual shift mode, revved it in first and then exited out of paddle shift mode.

it sounds like I’m beating up my car as I am writing this but i usually don’t drivelike this.

please help.

also, in winter time, I noticed a similar rattle at idle but the Acura dealer said they couldn’t find anything wrong

thanks

·
Super Moderator
717 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That sounds like an issue that I don't recall ever being discussed on the forum. I know this is no help but, since your car is definitely still under warranty, I'd take it to the dealer and do a test drive to demonstrate what you are hearing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be going in tomorrow afternoon. will update

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update.

Took it to Acura this morning.

They called me saying nothing is wrong with the vehicle.

I am going in tomorrow to test drive with a technician.

Will update tomorrow.

I will also upload some audio/video

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

Hi Everyone.
What a gong show.

I went to the local dealer where my TLX was being "looked at" today to show them the noise that is being produced as previously mentioned.
When I got there, I went for a test drive in my Acura TLX with a very seasoned technician.
He initially said that he doesn't hear anything.
I replicated the sound 100% of the time hitting Vtech at exactly 5000 rpm.
He insisted that there isn't a noise.
I told him to listen carefully as i used the paddle shifters to get into 5000 rpm ( I previously mentioned that it doesn't make the rattle noise using the paddle shifters)
When presented with the comparison, he said he hears it now.
WE proceeded to drive a New 2020 V6 SHAWD A spec TLX and the rattling noise wasnt there.

He mentioned that they will have to take it in to the shop to have it looked at ( this is when things got strange)
I went back to the service Advisor who said that I would have to bring my TLX BACK for them to look at it as the 'previous technician' that looked at it wasnt in today.
They told me to reschedule for Monday the 29th (today is the 24th)

When speaking to the Advisor, I asked him how it is possible that a technician looked drove my vehicle, and didnt hear anything and then a different technician comes for a drive with me and he hears it when comparing to paddle shifters and a new vehicle.

He then tells me that HE (the service ADVISOR) was the one that drove it and compared it to a new one and that there was never another technician.

So I am Irritated at this point ---

In the meantime between driving my vehicle and driving the new TLX for comparison, I asked the Sales manager about a deal on an MDX A spec.
I am well known to them as I too am in the car buisiness as a Sales Manager.

I talked to the General Sales Manager and he said he would work out some numbers and get back to me before I left the Dealership.

Turns out he passed my file along to a Sales manager that doesn't know how to do his job..

We come back and he says 'I can make this make sense' and these are the numbers presented to me:

36M 10,000 down and the payment would be 335 Monthly at 0.01% (2% rate break for Acura Loyalty)

I said yes that makes sense as I am paying 657 a month right now at 36 month lease and 0.01% lease.

Lets do the Deal, I am going to take the MDX to my wife ( who is at home ) and come back with her to sign paperwork.

After the Salesperson pulls the MDX up and I was about to drive away, the sales manager called me and said "we need to talk"

I went to his office and he said that he gave me 'Too Big' of a discount and that the 'real' payment is 36 month 10k down 0.01% 555 Monthly.

I walked away from the deal and without me vehicle being fixed.

When I got my Acura TLX back ( as I need to bring it back in 1 week), I noticed that whoever washed my vehicle messed up the 3m on the front bumper and there are clear spots that are quite large with water under the 3m.

I am disappointed to say the least.

This isnt my first bad experience with this dealership either.

Keep in mind that I have 6 friends that work in this dealership and they always try to treat me 'the best'

I walked away with messed up 3m, a deal falling through and being lied to about the service on my vehicle.

AND ANOTHER SERVICE APPOINTMENT A WEEK FROM TODAY.

I will upload audio and pictures soon.

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
That is a mess for sure. Not sure how they miss $200 a month.

I would push hard for the tech who heard the noise to be the one to work on your car.

As for the 3M, did they acknowledge they messed it up? I think there is some sort of warranty with it as well. Not sure that would be covered though.

·
Super Moderator
717 Posts
Frustrating for sure. These dealers and the service/care they provide are hit and miss. I've had two Acura dealers over the last 10 years for the three cars I've purchased. The first one I would always have to carefully inspect my vehicle upon pick up because they would always do something of damage, from as minor as grease on the interior, to swirl marks from a careless car wash, to as major as tool gouges on inside trim pieces. My latest dealer seems to be much more careful and I actually trust them to wash and dry the car carefully. The downside with this one however is that it's a 75 mile round trip for a visit!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Everyone,

I have a audio recording of the sound on my iphone in mp3 and m3v format..

Cant seem to upload here or youtube .

please help.

PS. Idropped the TLX off at the shop this morning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update.

they said a clip for the air intake was loose and extra air was getting in. They tightened it and claim its fixed

I haven’t picked up my vehicle

gong show x2
They said that someone slashed my tire
I park my vehicle under ground and drove it there this morning and there was nothing wrong when I dropped it off

I’m assuming someone slashed it while it was on their lot

I have tire and rim protectionso they are trying to claim the tire through that

they suggest that I pay 360$ for another tire as you have to replace them in 2’s

I’m waiting for them to call me back to confirm that they are replacing the one slashed one under the tire and rim warranty

I will talk to the service manager for them to incur the cost of the second tire as I shouldn’t have to pay for that

I am never taking my vehicle to this dealership again.

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
What a mess. You aren’t having much luck getting the rattle fixed. When I bought the tire and rim insurance, I was told if they have to replace as a pair they both would be covered. I would think that’s an Acura policy and not left to the dealership to decide.

I have a dash cam with parking mode enabled for that reason. I hope it picks up something if the car ever gets hit or vandalized.

Here is a link to the Tire and Rim insurance for Canada. It seems to be slanted towards road hazard but it’s worth looking in to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What a mess. You aren’t having much luck getting the rattle fixed. When I bought the tire and rim insurance, I was told if they have to replace as a pair they both would be covered. I would think that’s an Acura policy and not left to the dealership to decide.

I have a dash cam with parking mode enabled for that reason. I hope it picks up something if the car ever gets hit or vandalized.

Here is a link to the Tire and Rim insurance for Canada. It seems to be slanted towards road hazard but it’s worth looking in to.

Thank you so much for the information.

I will do my best to keep you guys updated with any progress

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

They called me this morning trying to convince me that they will not replace the other front tire.
After arguing and proving to them that the damage was done on their lot, they called me back saying they replaced 2 tires.

I am a bit concerned as I heard on all wheel drive vehicles, tires should be replaced in 4's

My vehicle has 25000km on it.

I drive it normally and dont abuse it

Do you think i should replace the 2 back tires as well?

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
I would imagine Acura would referto the the owners manual if you try to push for 4 new tires. The owners manual says it’s always best to replace all four. It then says if all four can’t be replaced, to replace them in pairs. Page 503 for reference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Andre21dbsi, Thank you for your continued discussion. I am not comfortable with 2 new and 2 used tires. I will purchase 2 new ones.
Interestingly, the new tires are significantly softer than the used ones i have on the back.
25,000km and two Canadian winters sure does take a toll on rubber.
I'm never taking my vehicle to this dealership again

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update to the issue:
They said the Intake Resonator was not sitting correctly so they fixed it and there is no more noise.

·
Super Moderator
717 Posts
Update to the issue:
They said the Intake Resonator was not sitting correctly so they fixed it and there is no more noise.
Yay! One small victory (or perhaps not so small - rattles bug the heck out of me and not being able to trace them sometimes is even more frustrating!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts