Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I've been lurking on the forum since 2015 (call me indecisive) hoping to move up from Accords while not moving down on reliability. I know "reliability" is subjective so let me be precise -- I got scared off by issues with the ZF transmission and the highway speed vibration. I test drove a 2016 V6 and felt the tranny was sluggish and shifts from 2nd to 3rd were harsh but didn't hear a vibration at freeway speeds. Do these issues still exist on more recent model years? Thx in advance.

·
Super Moderator
651 Posts
Hello all, I've been lurking on the forum since 2015 (call me indecisive) hoping to move up from Accords while not moving down on reliability. I know "reliability" is subjective so let me be precise -- I got scared off by issues with the ZF transmission and the highway speed vibration. I test drove a 2016 V6 and felt the tranny was sluggish and shifts from 2nd to 3rd were harsh but didn't hear a vibration at freeway speeds. Do these issues still exist on more recent model years? Thx in advance.
I think the issues are much less pronounced. I drive the 2.4L, 4 cyl model so cannot say for sure. Any chance you'd be interested in the 4 cylinder model or are you dead set on a V6?

·
Super Moderator
791 Posts
Do these issues still exist on more recent model years
It's hard to say as I only have experience with the 2015 TLX. I enjoy it and do not think any of the issues you point out are deal breakers (or I do not experience them).
Look for a "new" 2021 TLX later this year (Sep/Oct?). I'm guessing a V6 turbo with a home-grown 10-speed transmission. With the removal of the RLX from the Acura sedan line-up, the TLX will be the top-of-the-line sedan for Acura.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you gentlemen.
#hmbecker3, I've had two V6 Accords and am planning on a V6 or turbo 4.
#gary325 I hope you're right especially regards to the home-grown gearbox. When they put their minds to it, the company can make some solid transmissions.

·
Super Moderator
651 Posts
Thank you gentlemen.
#hmbecker3, I've had two V6 Accords and am planning on a V6 or turbo 4.
#gary325 I hope you're right especially regards to the home-grown gearbox. When they put their minds to it, the company can make some solid transmissions.
Got it. I suppose once you've owned a few V6's it's hard to go back. Although I owned a 1997 Nissan Maxima. Had a 6 cyl engine but only put out 190 hp. It was plenty of power for me so when I went to Acura the 201 hp TSX and 206 hp TLX with the 4 cylinder engine was a no brainer (that along with the Z9 transmission issues the 2015 TLX was experiencing with the V6).

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I remember my first V6. (from 1.5L 4 cylinder).... it was in a Nissan Murano with a CVT (which I loved) but for the first week between the V6 and CVT I find myself at faster speeds than I thought - the V6 got me there quick and the CVT kept the RPMs consistent.. I was like - why is everyone driving so slow.. then look down and see I was doing like 80.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts