Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leasing a 2018 Tech-Pkg TLX V6 since March 2018. At about 2-3 months ago I've been experiencing this weird transmission jerk, like trying to change into gear. It happens when I'm at 1 or 1.5 RPM and between 15-35 miles. It always happens when I'm in traffic (which in Texas that is every day), driving slow. Otherwise, it drives normal. I've tested it and it occurs in ECO, NORM, and SPORT mode driving.

Today I took it to Acura to have that checked and asked if by any chance there were any recalls. And yes, there is a Fuel-Pump recall with this model. They think that probably this transmission jerking could be contributing to this cause. Once they put it in their computer to run the necessary updates then see if that fixed the problem.

Has anyone experienced this transmission issue or fuel pump issue for 2018 - 19 models?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same experience but it happens when I let off the throttle a bit and the car is shifting up. I’ve also done the fuel pump recall change so I don’t think they’re related

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
just made an appointment for my 2015 TLX. like yours and MANY pothers it's doing the same exact thing under the same conditions. mine wasn't part of the batch that had the transmission recall, but it's exhibiting the same behavior all those people describe. and my car slipped into neutral by itself two times. I don't know if a fuel pump can do that, but we'll see. sad to see new models still have identical issues. whatever is the real cause they're never gonna sort they'll just discontinue this model after next year I bet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same experience but it happens when I let off the throttle a bit and the car is shifting up. I’ve also done the fuel pump recall change so I don’t think they’re related

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that's discouraging. I just made an appointment for that. my bet is the transmissions in all these cars are bad and they know it. the first batch was so bad they replaced them for free. but I believe we all have need of a transmission swap and it's costing Honda too much to replace them all so they're throwing out red herrings now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
that's discouraging. I just made an appointment for that. my bet is the transmissions in all these cars are bad and they know it. the first batch was so bad they replaced them for free. but I believe we all have need of a transmission swap and it's costing Honda too much to replace them all so they're throwing out red herrings now.
This is exactly what my TLX was doing prior to throwing a rod. I kid you not. I have (2) TLX right now on lease my a spec red has given me problem upon problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's good to know that I'm not alone, but bad that we are having this issue. Shortly after I got my 2018 TLX with about 21000 miles it started to have that jerkiness in the transmission. I have taken it back 4 times and will keep taking it back until they fix it. I will be a "thorn in their flesh" until it's fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 18 TLX ASPEC RED does the same thing; not often, but it does have a jerk, occasionally, when driving slowly and seems to occur between 2nd and 3rd. Not annoyed enough to take it to the dealer, primarily because we only have one in Richmond, Virginia and they are horrible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Class action suit coming i bet

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's good to know that I'm not alone, but bad that we are having this issue. Shortly after I got my 2018 TLX with about 21000 miles it started to have that jerkiness in the transmission. I have taken it back 4 times and will keep taking it back until they fix it. I will be a "thorn in their flesh" until it's fixed.
How are things going now have they said they are going to fix

·
Registered
2019 Acura TLX Elite A-Spec
2 Posts
I have a 2019 Elite A-spec and I have been experiencing the exact same thing. At first I thought that's how Acura's makes their cars but I hate the jerks as it makes me really anxious while driving. Should I contact Acura to fix it? Does it cover under warranty or it's an expensive fix? The car is less than a year old and I don't think it's fair for me to bear that expense

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
I have a 2019 Elite A-spec and I have been experiencing the exact same thing. At first I thought that's how Acura's makes their cars but I hate the jerks as it makes me really anxious while driving. Should I contact Acura to fix it? Does it cover under warranty or it's an expensive fix? The car is less than a year old and I don't think it's fair for me to bear that expense
If they find an issue with your vehicle, it should be under warranty.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned VCM (Variable Cylinder Management). I don't have a 2018 (I have a 2015), but 1500 RPM is the classic rumble/shake zone for VCM. I don't know if I'd call it a "jerk", but it's certainly noticeable.

Every IDS mode that the OP mentions uses VCM (at least in the 2015). The only mode that doesn't is Sport+.

For anyone experiencing this, have you tried driving in Sport+ for an extended period of time? Note that you need you switch into Sport+ every time you start the vehicle; the IDS mode will not stay on Sport+ after killing the engine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts