Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a certified 2018 TLX A-Spec and it came without a spare tire, just the tire sealing kit. I have never owned a car without a spare tire and I am not 100% comfortable driving without one, but in the past 30 years I have never has to use any of the spare tires, so I did not think this was a big deal. Now I am reconsidering and I think I am going to buy a real spare tire. Any suggestions on where to find one and what a good price is?

This is my 4th Acura going back to the 1987 Legend 5 speed I bought new, followed by a 1992 Legend I got from my father in 1998 and a 2005 TL which I just gave to my daughter. I like the current TLX A-Spec and look forward to driving it well into the future. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I'm with you.. I purhcased the spare kit... I only used a spare in my years of driving but figured if I didn't get it, I would need it for the TLX the next day. Ebay or your local Acura dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Invest the money and get a spare. l learned the hard way I have a 17 TLX. My wife and I were stranded coming back from Jasper National Park in Canada after hitting a large rock that had fallen off a truck two vehicles ahead. It was snowing and blowing; downright ugly conditions. It took out the right front but I could not see how bad the damage was. Not only was the inflator and sealant useless there is also no jack or tools to get the wheel off so you can inspect the damage and see where you are at. 5 hrs sitting on the very narrow shoulder of the road; no cell service so no Acura Link. Through the kindness of passers by we finally got a tow to the next small town (Clearwater, BC) and found the tire shops could not provide a suitable replacement (those tires are a unique size and this was pick up truck country). We had to find a hotel to overnight and arrange a solution the next day. I found the Acura Customer Care package would help but required the car to be towed to the nearest Acura dealer which was in Kelowna BC. It was a 4 hr trip with my wife and I crammed in the cab of the flat deck tow truck. We had to spend another overnight in Kelowna as the dealer did not have a tire in stock. The next day they pinched one from another car on the lot. I was so mad a Acrua for their penny pinching decision not to provide a spare as there was in my previous 4 Acura TLs I nearly got rid of the car. However, I am upside down on the lease so I am stuck. GET A SPARE! The compressor/sealant setup is totally useless if you have anything more than the smallest of punctures. Oh ya, to replace the sealant that went straight onto the road is $100. Insult to injury.....

·
Super Moderator
570 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience - and this being your first post, but welcome to the forum! So have you bought an aftermarket spare tire kit or just replaced the sealant?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience - and this being your first post, but welcome to the forum! So have you bought an aftermarket spare tire kit or just replaced the sealant?
I have done neither as it turns out. The lease is up in Oct 2020 and I am just going to turn the car back. In the interim we are simply not using the Acura for any long trips (we have other vehicles that are not as nice but have spare tires!). In Canada I am told the spare tire kit is not available so I would have to go down to the USA to purchase. As far as the sealant goes, it is a useless system so not having any sealant in the compressor is moot. I have loved all my Acura's but unfortunately this experience has been a deal killer for me. Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts