21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
738 Posts
Looks good!

·
Super Moderator
738 Posts
Had some nice weather today for the first time in about a week so I had to take advantage and give the ol' gal a by-hand bath. Our second together. Tears.
Looks nice. The A-spec looks sharp with the white color and those wheels.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So I talked to my dealer recently. I was curious if self-painted calipers would void warranty. They basically said if anything goes wrong brake-wise, they will likely link it to the painted calipers and void coverage for repair. What do you guys think? Worth it to paint calipers? My dad purchased G2 paint for his new Subaru Forester Sport's calipers and his dealership said it was A-Okay. I've read into it and it can depend a lot on the dealership you talk to. Depending if you take the caliper off or not, and if you do you chance messing up the setup, not tightening bolts to proper specs, etc. which all would void warranty if something were to go wrong. But if I wouldn't remove the calipers, what can go wrong? Opinions appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
738 Posts
So I talked to my dealer recently. I was curious if self-painted calipers would void warranty. They basically said if anything goes wrong brake-wise, they will likely link it to the painted calipers and void coverage for repair. What do you guys think? Worth it to paint calipers? My dad purchased G2 paint for his new Subaru Forester Sport's calipers and his dealership said it was A-Okay. I've read into it and it can depend a lot on the dealership you talk to. Depending if you take the caliper off or not, and if you do you chance messing up the setup, not tightening bolts to proper specs, etc. which all would void warranty if something were to go wrong. But if I wouldn't remove the calipers, what can go wrong? Opinions appreciated.
Even if you didn't remove the calipers and something did go wrong, how could you prove that you didn't remove them? The dealership would pull out all stops to claim you've voided the warranty by doing unapproved maintenance/modifications. I wouldn't chance it in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Even if you didn't remove the calipers and something did go wrong, how could you prove that you didn't remove them? The dealership would pull out all stops to claim you've voided the warranty by doing unapproved maintenance/modifications. I wouldn't chance it in my humble opinion.
That's exactly what I would expect a car manufacturer to do. Pull out all the stops in order to avoid paying for a repair if the client messes with it. I don't want to chance it either, and end up in a situation where I'm stuck paying 1000's for a repair because I wanted to paint for calipers for ~$100. I don't know why these calipers don't just come painted already from the factory, especially on their top-of-the-line A-Spec SH-AWD. My calipers have some fugly rust discoloration on them already, and it bums me out.

I side with your opinion though. It's exactly what I told my dad who told me to "just do it". He thinks that it would be tough for a dealership to prove it was the paint that caused the hypothetical issue. But that wouldn't stop them from pumping the brakes and avoid repairing it until it is figured out, which takes time and money most likely. Not worth the hassle in my opinion. However, there are people on other car forums who have done it anyway and haven't had issues. I don't consider myself THAT lucky.

Thanks for the thoughts.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts