Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, made a big purchase yesterday. A 2018 TLX V6 SH-AWD A-Spec in Bellanova White Pearl with the Red leather interior. I came from a little automatic 2000 Acura Integra LS that I'd been driving for the past 7 years. With only 132,000 miles on the Integra, it will make a great reliable car for the next owner. On that note, damn this TLX is fun to drive. Can't wait to go on a nice long drive with it this upcoming weekend. I live only 0.6 miles away from work so I won't have that typical nice, decent drive to enjoy every morning. On the plus side it will keep the mileage down a lot as time passes by. I have only one picture of her so far, so here she is when she came home from the dealership.

·
Super Moderator
765 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the upgrade!
You can always take the "loooooong" way to work!
Plenty to find out about your TLX here.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
Hi all, made a big purchase yesterday. A 2018 TLX V6 SH-AWD A-Spec in Bellanova White Pearl with the Red leather interior. I came from a little automatic 2000 Acura Integra LS that I'd been driving for the past 7 years. With only 132,000 miles on the Integra, it will make a great reliable car for the next owner. On that note, damn this TLX is fun to drive. Can't wait to go on a nice long drive with it this upcoming weekend. I live only 0.6 miles away from work so I won't have that typical nice, decent drive to enjoy every morning. On the plus side it will keep the mileage down a lot as time passes by. I have only one picture of her so far, so here she is when she came home from the dealership.
Very nice choice and welcome to the forum! The Bellanova White looks sharp on this car (I'm a little biased :) )

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the upgrade!
You can always take the "loooooong" way to work!
Plenty to find out about your TLX here.
Thanks. I'm usually in a rush to get to work even though I live 0.6 miles away. I work for a hospital (RN), so getting to my unit and getting situated to my patients' issues and concerns is a priority, even if the "long way" to work is maybe 0.2 miles further. Hah. Looking forward to reading others' stories and learning about this exciting and fun machine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Love the ASpec look... enjoy your new ride... I am still enjoying mine after almost 5 years. Been a good car thus far.
Thank you. I do love the A-Spec look too. I test drove a 2018 FWD 3.5L V6 Fathom Blue Pearl TLX before the A-Spec. It was nice, but once I test drove the SH-AWD A-Spec, I couldn't wrap my mind about going back. It's coming up on two weeks since having the A-Spec. Still so fun to drive. Spent a couple hours in it this morning just to learn all of the electronic options inside. Discovered the "thigh support" option on the driver seat. Just awesome comfort and support. Fell in love all over again. I'll have to take a look in your profile and read up on any posts you've made. Plenty to learn.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice choice and welcome to the forum! The Bellanova White looks sharp on this car (I'm a little biased :) )
Thank you and thank you! I've always told myself in the past that red leather is a bit too flashy. I had never sat in any before my test drive in my A-Spec. In person, the red leather just looked so sharp with Bellanova White Pearl and the 19" dark gray wheels. Not too flashy, but just the right amount. Looking forward to reading and learning more about these fun machines, and I'll have to look into some of your posts to get some ideas.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
Thank you and thank you! I've always told myself in the past that red leather is a bit too flashy. I had never sat in any before my test drive in my A-Spec. In person, the red leather just looked so sharp with Bellanova White Pearl and the 19" dark gray wheels. Not too flashy, but just the right amount. Looking forward to reading and learning more about these fun machines, and I'll have to look into some of your posts to get some ideas.
You're welcome! Lots of good info on this forum and feel free to contribute.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're welcome! Lots of good info on this forum and feel free to contribute.
Something that I'm curious about and can't quite find is a recommendation on what fuel grade to use for this vehicle. At the dealership I, before I drove it home, I was told it doesn't need premium, but I think I've also seen someone on here say that the manual says to use it.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
The manual does recommend premium fuel. There's a few discussion threads on this topic, here's one:

In addition, here's a screenshot from the manual:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The manual does recommend premium fuel. There's a few discussion threads on this topic, here's one:

In addition, here's a screenshot from the manual:

View attachment 25077
Awesome. Thank you. My first fill-up I used BP's Amoco Ultimate gasoline, which I believe was 91 octane. Possibly 93. Since it's my local one down the road I'll have to pay more closely attention next time.

Next concern. I've done some searching around on both this TLX forum and AcuraZine. Spare Tire Kit. Part# 06421-TZ3-A80ZA. Acurapartswarehouse.com says the kit is discontinued. I did a basic Google search with the part#, and I found a website who says they have it in stock:

I'm curious what anyone thinks about this. Is it even possible this is legitimate? Piecing together each part of the kit comes out to be much more than the kit.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
I've never bought any accessories off of these 3rd party suppliers and so cannot comment on its legitimacy. Are you trying to save money over what the dealer would charge for the kit? Or the dealer is saying it cannot get it because of it being discontinued?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've never bought any accessories off of these 3rd party suppliers and so cannot comment on its legitimacy. Are you trying to save money over what the dealer would charge for the kit? Or the dealer is saying it cannot get it because of it being discontinued?
Well actually, this site says they are a certified Acura OEM parts dealer from Ohio:

"Bernardi's Acura parts and Acura accessories store is owned and operated by Bernardi Acura Of Boston, a certified and authorized Acura OEM parts dealer in Brighton, Massachusetts. It is, therefore, licensed by American Honda to sell all OEM Acura parts and accessories. These products are backed by American Honda's one year limited warranty.

To offer you the best possible internet prices, the internet store is operated from our warehouse and not from the dealership. Therefore, products purchased through the internet store may not be picked up from or returned to the dealership."

However, seems like the parts eStore of the dealership that I bought my TLX from can have the kit shipped to them for pick-up. I'll have to call them tomorrow to talk details since on the dealership eStore it's not called the Spare Tire Kit, it's called the Temporary Kit NH690L. However, same part # 06421-TZ3-A80ZA.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
Good luck, was there a reason why you didn't opt to get the spare tire kit when you bought the car and now want it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Good luck, was there a reason why you didn't opt to get the spare tire kit when you bought the car and now want it?
I simply did not know about it when I bought it. Otherwise I, as one poster has said he did, could have negotiated the dealership put it in as part of my purchase contract.

I found out about the issue from this TLX forum. I've read the numerous comments on how people feel that Acura skimped out to save money and weight. Now us owners need to pay extra, on top of the tens of thousands of dollars to add a safety essential that should be included in the first place. I realize I'm a little late to the party on this topic, now buying a 2018 TLX in 2020.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Talked to the dealership. They said they can get the kit shipped to them. Kit + spare tire (not included in kit, only wheel) just under $400. Not including installation. I'm sure I could do it myself, however. Seems fairly simple.

So I guess the only question is what I would rather spend $4/500 on:

• A kit, have everything look nice and tucked away with the downfall of having a limited 17" wheelie/tire, or
  • An OEM 19" wheel & tire that simply sits in my trunk that could possibly get in the way when I need the space
Gut tells me just get myself the same OEM 19" wheel and buy myself the same Pirelli tire that my wheels currently sit on

Heart tells me this is a bunch of BS that I even need to make this decision

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
Talked to the dealership. They said they can get the kit shipped to them. Kit + spare tire (not included in kit, only wheel) just under $400. Not including installation. I'm sure I could do it myself, however. Seems fairly simple.

So I guess the only question is what I would rather spend $4/500 on:

• A kit, have everything look nice and tucked away with the downfall of having a limited 17" wheelie/tire, or
  • An OEM 19" wheel & tire that simply sits in my trunk that could possibly get in the way when I need the space
Gut tells me just get myself the same OEM 19" wheel and buy myself the same Pirelli tire that my wheels currently sit on

Heart tells me this is a bunch of BS that I even need to make this decision
I'd do the kit - will aid in resale value later on. Just my opinion though. It's your money.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fedex delivered the trunk tray I ordered from acurapartswarehouse. Geeze, for $120 you'd think it'd be more like the WeatherTech floor mats. It's thin plastic. I'm happy I have some sort of protectant for the trunk, but common now.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
Fedex delivered the trunk tray I ordered from acurapartswarehouse. Geeze, for $120 you'd think it'd be more like the WeatherTech floor mats. It's thin plastic. I'm happy I have some sort of protectant for the trunk, but common now.
Yeah, I've got one too, came already installed in the car and that, along with a few other add-ons I negotiated to have them throw in for free. I agree, not heavy-duty or at all rugged but does the trick.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts