Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody else has put one of these stick on rear deck wings on their TLX. I have a 2018 TLX and bought one of these and have had it on for about 4 or 5 months and its already starting to come off. I'm thinking about getting one of these like in the 2nd pic. Anybody have one of those on their TLX .Thats what I'm thinking about getting and having wrapped in carbon fiber style wrap. Thanks Eyewear Font Auto part Fashion accessory Bicycle part
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Hood

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
294 Posts
Unless it's a bolt on it's going to come off.
Not true at all......

I put a stick-on spoiler on the decklid of the BMW 3 series that I used to own. I only owned it for about a year after that, but I never had a single issue with it. That 3M tape is amazing stuff.

EDIT: I posted below but I wanted to say that the stick-on spoilers are fine for a short term solution but bolt-on is a better long term solution.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As a ASE and GM certified mechanic for the last 40 plus years I had seen many of them come off. You got lucky. And yes I will agree with you the 3M tape is some amazing stuff once it starts to lose its adhesive properties that spoiler is coming off.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
294 Posts
As a ASE and GM certified mechanic for the last 40 plus years I had seen many of them come off. You got lucky. And yes I will agree with you the 3M tape is some amazing stuff once it starts to lose its adhesive properties that spoiler is coming off.
I think a lot of it depends on what you want. The adhesive tape should last around 2 years based on what I've seen and heard. Past that, it should be replaced or at least checked regularly. I agree 100% that it's not something that should be considered a permanent solution. For a lot of people that want to make a difference to their car without a lot of work......it's fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think a lot of it depends on what you want. The adhesive tape should last around 2 years based on what I've seen and heard. Past that, it should be replaced or at least checked regularly. I agree 100% that it's not something that should be considered a permanent solution. For a lot of people that want to make a difference to their car without a lot of work......it's fine.
I agree with you 100%. But if you want to make it permanent it needs to be bolted on. I have seen and heard of the horror stories about them coming off when they were stuck on with just adhesive and hitting the windshields of the cars behind them on the roads and highways

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not true at all......

I put a stick-on spoiler on the decklid of the BMW 3 series that I used to own. I only owned it for about a year after that, but I never had a single issue with it. That 3M tape is amazing stuff.

EDIT: I posted below but I wanted to say that the stick-on spoilers are fine for a short term solution but bolt-on is a better long term solution.
Thanks for the comment. I have looked online alot and havent found much that I really like so far. You have any links where I might look for a bolt on spoiler. I dont want some huge ridiculous looking thing. I just thought the 2018 tlx could use a little something back there

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with you 100%. But if you want to make it permanent it needs to be bolted on. I have seen and heard of the horror stories about them coming off when they were stuck on with just adhesive and hitting the windshields of the cars behind them on the roads and highways
Lol yes I dont want it flying off at 70 or 80 mph while on the hiway. I dont think it would do much damage to the car behind you because it literally weighs nothing. But still wouldnt want that to happen

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Something like this is what you want.
I was looking at that one because there isnt alot out there apparently for a tlx. Wonder what it would cost to wrap it in carbon fiber look wrap to match my hood. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was looking at that one because there isnt alot out there apparently for a tlx. Wonder what it would cost to wrap it in carbon fiber look wrap to match my hood. Thanks
Is your hood carbon fiber? If it is a carbon fiber hood than I'm sure you can probably sign says a carbon fiber bolt on spoiler that would fit your TLX. If it carbon fiber vinyl wrapped then it would be best to ask local customizing shops around you to find out what type of carbon fiber designs they have to match your hood. Also check their reviews before committing to anything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is your hood carbon fiber? If it is a carbon fiber hood than I'm sure you can probably sign says a carbon fiber bolt on spoiler that would fit your TLX. If it carbon fiber vinyl wrapped then it would be best to ask local customizing shops around you to find out what type of carbon fiber designs they have to match your hood. Also check their reviews before committing to anything.
My hood not carbon fiber. Its a carbon fiber look wrap. I'm in no hurry so I'll probably look around and make sure what I get is what I want. Thanks for the input. I'll post new pics soon my original pics were before I had the hood wrapped and put the rear deck wing on

1 - 14 of 14 Posts