Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please!
I lost my only set of keys, and unfortunately cant start the car. I was looking all night and cant find them.
I called the dealer yesterday , they told me i need to tow the car there, and it would cost around$489 to have a new key made including coding..
Seems like a ripoff to me. any ideas?
Thanks a lot.
i attached a photo of my key

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Lost your key:
I'm sure you looked in all the usual places. Just for the fun of it, try to load all the packages, purses, coats that might have the fob "hidden" inside. Put them in the car and see if the car will start, or come alive.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
How can you easily and cheaply make another?

That is NOT what they are telling me. From $255 and up.

Reactions: Jamtlx12

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lost your key:
I'm sure you looked in all the usual places. Just for the fun of it, try to load all the packages, purses, coats that might have the fob "hidden" inside. Put them in the car and see if the car will start, or come alive.
Actually very good idea! not relevant for me anymore but still. very smart!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is why you always have two sets of keys. If you lose one, you can easily and cheaply make another.
Well, now i know, and i do recommend everyone here to do that. it is much cheaper than to get a replacement. Trust me, i know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey everyone,

just wanted to post an update, after a long research i did, here is what i came up with.

I guess there is a huge difference between different keys, models, etc.

Also locksmiths and dealers charge different amounts for the very same key.

It helped me save a lot of money (more than $150).

Generally speaking, to get a replacement key, you have three options:

1.Call an automotive locksmith that offers a mobile service for cars. Here is a phone number for a company that have many different locations and locksmiths: 800-223-1453. I think they work all around the US but not sure. Give them a call and ask or any other local locksmith you find.

2.Tow the car to the dealer.

3.Order a key online and have the dealer or locksmith cut and program it for you (if necessary).

Here is the link to read more:

If you do call a locksmith or the dealer, don’t forget to mention some important information so they will check if they have the key blank and the necessary tools to code you the new key:

1.Year, make and model of the car

2.Your exact location including street address and zip (for the locksmith to find you easily)

3.VIN number of the car located on the dashboard – very important

4.Make sure you can show them proof of ownership – otherwise they will not make you a new replacement key.

Regarding the cost, it really depends on the type of key you had.
There are 3 main types of keys:

Non-chip keys: for older models (mostly 2000 and older)

Transponder chip keys – these types of keys must be coded on site with a special machine, otherwise the car wont start. These are more expensive to make

Key fob – push to start – these are the most expensive types of keys. Mostly made for models made after 2015.

The average cost is somewhere between $180-$450. It also depends on your location, time of day, weekend, etc etc.
Here is the link for some additional information:

Of course, i hope you wont need it ;)

·
Registered
2020 TLX, 3.5L, Tech package, Modern steel metallic
35 Posts
EXCELLENT write up and closure!!! Your information is clearly stated, and sooner or later will very likely help some of our readers/contributors.

Perhaps my biggest complaint about this website is that too often someone posts an issue or question and we never hear the eventual outcome. The original "poster" just drifts away and we're left to wonder if the issue was resolved... and what we might learn from the experience. This is despite the research and/or good advice offered by some of the website's solid contributors. In your case, painful as it might be, you "paid it forward" with you summation. Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
779 Posts
Whenever I get a new car, the first thing I do is to order two new key blanks (usually off Ebay) and then have them cut (most any locksmith can cut them or take them to any Honda/Acura dealer). Keeping in mind that they are still useless until they are programmed. Often with your master key there are instructions on how to program a 3rd or 4th key from the ignition. Some cars can do this, some cannot. I then put these two spare keys away for an emergency.

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
54 Posts
Whenever I get a new car, the first thing I do is to order two new key blanks (usually off Ebay) and then have them cut (most any locksmith can cut them or take them to any Honda/Acura dealer). Keeping in mind that they are still useless until they are programmed. Often with your master key there are instructions on how to program a 3rd or 4th key from the ignition. Some cars can do this, some cannot. I then put these two spare keys away for an emergency.
Don't forget to replace the battery on these every couple of years. If the battery goes totally flat they'll lose their minds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do the same usually. On previous vehicles of mine, I've been able to program a 3rd and 4th fob if I have the first two with the car. Does anyone know if that possible with Acura/Honda, or is it only through the dealer/locksmith that programming is possible? I've been looking online, for programming instructions, but have come up empty, so I doubt it's possible, but figured I'd ask. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts