Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 TLX base and I didn't notice when I leased the car at first but around 10K miles I notice my car is pulling to right and I decided to take to good year since I had 3 year alignment package from them.. long story short after 2 trips to Goodyear my alignment is still off and they're telling me it's due to my right caster being off (negative) -3.0. Shop manager also said this is due to hitting something really hard and something is bent and I should take my car to body shop. I'm the only driver and I can guarantee I have not hit anything out the ordinary to cause something to be bent in suspension. My 3 year alignment deal was coming to an end this month at good year and I think they didn't care much to look into it because they're not making money off of it. Anyone can chime in how this can be fixed? or should I try Acura I'm concerned and worried the car does pull to right more on local roads than freeways. Currently at 20K miles and do not notice any uneven tire wear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can't help you but I can tell you that you aren't the only one. My 15 pulls to the right also and has worn out two tires, one in the front and one in the rear, on the inside of the tire and cut a slit in them. I've taken the car to be aligned twice and both times the alignment is said to be fine. This is my second Honda product in the past 6 years and both of them have has this same issue. The car before this I had to buy aftermarket suspension parts just so the alignment could be adjusted to a satisfactory point because Honda didn't make anything except what was already on the car. This will be my last Honda product I own.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
781 Posts
Acura for the most part does not warranty alignments. They will sometimes do one warranty alignment per car as long as the customer is under the 12 months 12,000 miles, informing the customer that if they notice damage, the alignment will be CP (Customer Pay).

Back to the problem at hand. I probably would have originally taken my TLX back to the Acura dealership, but that’s water under the bridge at this point.

Should Goodyear be expected to do a good job? Does Goodyear hire the top technicians? Sadly no on both counts.

I have seen many problems after a vehicle was repaired at Goodyear, Firestone, Midas, Car X, Walmart and other aftermarket shops.

Would I take my car to one of the above shops for an alignment? Nope. It’s not that they absolutely couldn’t do a good job, but I just don’t have time to go back to have them redo it for a second or third try and do it right. Not to mention the cost for installing wrong parts and labor.

Even though an aftermarket shop might have modern looking equipment, often the software is not always updated. What if Acura made a revision to the alignment specs? Acura dealers would get immediate notice of this and would update their alignment machine. On the other hand, aftermarket shops don’t always get updates as people with very new cars go back to the dealer, so why spend hundreds to update the alignment machine. The aftermarket shops that I know, update their software every 2 or 3 years. This applies to OBDII scanners too.

I get asked all the time where someone should take their vehicle for repairs, and I always recommend the dealer. It’s just too chancy recommending any aftermarket repair shop.

Back to the problem. I would suggest that you take it back to the dealer and see what they say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

Dealing with alignment issue currently after shipping car cross country on open trailer. One thing it could be is a dragging brake caliper. Advise cleaning and greasing slide pins. You can also take a temp gun to both rotors to verify they are approximately the same temp after a long drive. I have 40k miles and suspect a few of the front suspension components are getting worn at this point including control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends. Will tighten everything I can get my hands on when I go for the slide pins and will also rotate front tires side to side to see if problem follows. Also, be sure to reset tire pressure. Another thing is to put it in neutral, rear parking brake on, jack up front and rotate wheels and make sure they both spin freely ad maybe get someone to apply light brake pressure to make sure both calipers are biting down at the same time.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Didn't see it mentioned, could be a bad tire. Had issues with another car years ago would always pull slightly. The garage I used at the time was so nice probably checked the alignment 4 times... when the tires were fially replace I was so happy it drove straight as an arrow. Tech thought perhaps a "cord" shifted in the tire or was defective from the start. Not sure if that was it but it was a bad tire in my case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for comments and replies.

Update: after 3 trips to Good year and 2 alignments performed at my local Acura dealer the issue still persists. Dealer inspected the car for suspension components and did not find anything. Not sure what it is at this point and I’m very frustrated with the car.

Currently sitting at 31K and waiting for my lease to be up so I can get rid of the car. My tire wear looks fine but still noticing pull to right. This is my last alignment printout.

·
Premium Member
4,988 Posts
The stock good years aren’t great. If you look around the forum there have been lots of vibration complaints about them.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
One of the Goodyear tires that came on mine not only pulled to the right but it wouldn't balance either.I went through hell to get Goodyear to replace it.

Once I got the new tire I haven't had a problem since. I had 16K miles when they replaced the tire and now I have 47K, so the new tire has more mileage without a problem than the old did when replaced.

Reactions: Gonzo
1 - 10 of 10 Posts