Acura TLX Forum banner

2017 TLX SH-AWD Advance 61-12 issue

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Pwrhse/enrgy 
#1 ·
So, I've 36,000 miles on this car and its been a pleasure, except for 1 thing....

I've had it in the shop 11 times for a persistent issue with 61-12 Stability/Brake system error. At first it was very bad and a new controller module fixed most of it. Since then the error only occurs with the auto stop engaged, typically on adaptive cruise control and in stop and go traffic. When the car stops and the engine begins to shut down, but almost at the same time the car in front moves ahead and the engine tries to restart almost while still stopping, the error occurs and the parking brake engages!

This is not such a big deal in stop and go traffic, but it has happened twice in an intersection where I started to turn across the traffic, thought better of it and stopped to let a speeding car go by, then I try to clear the intersection. In that brief stop and then go, the same thing has happened twice, suddenly stopping me in the middle of a busy intersection and sometimes in an awkward placement. Sure, maybe I should not have been there, but still, it seems very dangerous.

So after 11 tries Acura has replaced loads of stuff and now they say that the car is behaving as designed and I should disengage the auto-stop in order to prevent this error. We all know how irritating that amber warning light is, and its hard to ALWAYS turn the thing off. So I feel its a design defect that endangers the driver in specific instances. I've appealed to Acura America and they have said the same thing. There is NO problem. I've made a report to the NTSB, and am thinking about talking with a liability attorney. Any thoughts or suggestions? I really like the car, but I now have to practice vigilance in tight situations.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.
It's unfortunate that your first post is about the Stability/Brake system error.
Let's see what other forum members have to say about this error.
I personally have not heard of this error and only a few times have had a "system" error. But a restart fixed it.

#9 ·
I am new to this forum and I recently purchased 2017 tlx tech and that message has come up twice. I took it in they said it was my tmps they corrected it. It came back on a week later but it doesnt stall or anything plus I drive with the auto stop off. I read on a acura forum it's the alternator to small for all the jazz....coming from a dealers ear to a car owner.

#3 ·
I thought it might be useful to some to post my recent experience with repeated VSA Error 61.12 a week or so ago.

I have a 2015 3.5 L Elite model. The car has done 60,000 km in the 4 1/2 years I have owned it since new. The only warranty work done was to replace the original battery after 2 1/2 years.

A week or so ago, I had about 10 occurrences of the Error 61.2 message. The first time it occurred was shortly after a very short auto stop/start cycle. It subsequently occurred when stopping or pulling away from a stop, even with the auto stop/start turned off. During this period, the car was just used for short local trips. After a few days of this, I took the car out for a short run, maybe 25 km, at higher speeds and experimented with auto/stop start, heavy acceleration and heavy breaking and I could not get the message to come back. After that run, I put my battery charger on the battery and it reported that the battery was less than 50% charged. So over the next two or three days with the help of the battery charger, I demonstrated to my satisfaction that the battery was not doing its job. I have now replaced the battery and all seems to be well (i.e. two batteries in 4 1/2 years). I will report back if I subsequently find that there is another problem

#4 ·
Hope that's all it was. There's a lot of strange behavior (warning signs) that occur with these cars when the battery starts to die and it's not always obvious that the battery is the culprit!

#7 ·
When the batteries in my two TLX's started to weaken I got no system warning. The tell tale sign for me in both cases was certain things didn't work right or consistently - such as: 1) driver seat memory position was lost, 2) car wouldn't consistently auto-lock when I shut the door and walked away.

#6 ·
In my recent experience with batteries, after 2 years you're on borrowed time. You'll get credit for the remainder of the three year warranty but don't expect it to last three years. Check if your alternator is producing a full charge.

#8 ·
I'm on 3+ years with no battery issues! I know that the SH-AWD have the AGM battery whereas all others have the traditional Lead-Acid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.