Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on getting an OEM remote start kit which comes with 2 new key fobs. I have a scan tool that can program the new key fobs to the car but I want to get the emergency keys cut. I know that the keys are laser cut but can any locksmith cut the keys? I called my local Acura dealer and they were wanting $350 to program and cut one key. So I was hoping if anyone knew if the dealership HAS to cut the emergency key.

· Super Moderator
2015 Acura TLX, V6, P-AWS, Advance package
1,139 Posts
Are the fobs the same as the OEM Acura fobs? Would not the "key" from that fob fit your new fob?
Another thought:
If you have the tool to reprogram, why not reprogram your OEM fob? Then you would have the "key" with the reprogrammed fob! (but that OEM fob may not have the engine start button!)
An yet another thought about cutting a key:
I would call any of your hometown locksmiths. They must have the tools to do that job. If not, they will tell you.

Reactions: Procondor

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the fobs the same as the OEM Acura fobs? Would not the "key" from that fob fit your new fob?
Another thought:
If you have the tool to reprogram, why not reprogram your OEM fob? Then you would have the "key" with the reprogrammed fob! (but that OEM fob may not have the engine start button!)
An yet another thought about cutting a key:
I would call any of your hometown locksmiths. They must have the tools to do that job. If not, they will tell you.
It is the OEM Acura part so it would be like the key that came with the car when I bought it except it would have a remote start button.

I would like to use the new "key" just for the fact that I am very anal about how my stuff is and the "key" with my current fob is loose and rattles around.

I was planning on checking with the locksmith in town tomorrow but I was wanting to see if just any locksmith could do it if they had the machine. I wasnt sure if there was something special that needs to be done to the "key" or if it was just straight up cut and go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts