Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the thread!! So I recently purchased a 2017 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD Advanced Package with 24,000mi on it. Car was riding find until recently I've noticed that the engine does jerk (pretty hard) while cruising, and it takes a couple of seconds to get some giddy up to make a quick lane change. Also I don't know if anyone else brakes slip while coming to a stop...super weird. The vibration of the gas pedal while going highway speeds is another concern and FINALLY...if I let the car sit overnight and start it up the next morning, it makes this weird noise...almost like a tiny lawnmower trying to start but fail (best I can make out of the sound). If anyone could please give me some info on this car, I love the Sport drive style on this car but I want to love the WHOLE car.
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
As for that lag when accelerating is normal with the V6 engine. Honda/Acura uses Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) to save gas.
With normal cruising, the engine shuts down cylinders to save gas and when you punch it, that lag is for the other cylinders to come back on line.

That noise at startup, I had a similar noise with my 2016 V6 Pilot. The dealer told me not to worry about it as it had to do with the oil pressure at startup.

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
Welcome to the forum, again!
The V6 engine and 9-speed transmission is a strange combo. I too had concerns at first drive. I did get the transmission replaced (see my signature below). With this combo, it will learn your driving technique and you will learn its performance (and limitations). I find that punching it will result in some dissapointment, but if I feather it a little , then the reaction will be more expected.
So it learns you and it teaches you.
@mdd2018tlx is correct with the VCM. My TLX kicks it in around 40-44 mph. It also kicks in around 60. I feel it most in the 40's but I don't hang around too long in the 60's, but it is not as profound in the 60's.
That starting in the morning, the "tiny lawnmower trying to start" noise is a new one to me. Then again, I always have the windows closed when I start the car.

·
Super Moderator
748 Posts
All true above. There are some things you can do about the "accelerate by wire", which you can research a SprintBooster. I have it on my TLX and it eliminates 95% of that hesitation. Also I have on my car a VCM Muzzler II which prevents the engine (VCM) from going into 4 and 3 cylinders. Basically it forces the engine to run all 6 cylinders all the time. And just last week I added an IdleStopper which makes it so you don't have to push the Idle Stop Off button, which really frustrated me from day one of owning this car. Adding these small mods has made this vehicle much more enjoyable (especially when you want to drive aggressive) (y).

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
All true above. There are some things you can do about the "accelerate by wire", which you can research a SprintBooster. I have it on my TLX and it eliminates 95% of that hesitation. Also I have on my car a VCM Muzzler II which prevents the engine (VCM) from going into 4 and 3 cylinders. Basically it forces the engine to run all 6 cylinders all the time. And just last week I added an IdleStopper which makes it so you don't have to push the Idle Stop Off button, which really frustrated me from day one of owning this car. Adding these small mods has made this vehicle much more enjoyable (especially when you want to drive aggressive) (y).
You have created a Franken-TLX!!
With all the electronics in the cars these days, this is the equvalent to adding a 4-barrel carburetor of days gone by!

Reactions: mdd2018tlx

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Now Gary, you are showing your age.... 😃

Reactions: gary325

·
Registered
6 Posts
I started getting the growling (lawnmower) sound on startup around 90K miles. As was mentioned elsewhere it is most likely due to low oil pressure on startup. A couple of observations that support that theory. I don't hear the noise if the car has been driven within an hour or so before starting and oil is still in the upper part of the engine. Also, the noise is louder if the car has been sitting for 1-2 days or longer and oil has drained out of the valvetrain. Finally, when starting the car after a recent oil change the noise was quite loud. So, most likely what is happening is that oil is draining from the upper parts of the engine (valvetrain) and when you start the car it takes a second for the oil to get pumped back up there so the valves aren't real happy until they get oiled so there is the noise. This is a first for me with Acura engines and I hope it doesn't get worse and lead to valve train issues and premature engine failure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts