Acura TLX Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Acura TLX 2018 V6 Tech Package
5 Posts
Oh wow that’s not cool. My dealer said because of all the new electronic technology in the car that they have a specific machine/computer they have to plug in to reset everything after the transmission fluid change. He said after 200 miles the car should re-learn how I drive and the jerking should subside. I’ve driven well over the 200 miles and I still feel the jerk in the car. If this is such a known issue why don’t they do a recall?? It’s not normal whatsoever to feel that when you are driving; especially at a lower rpm. I’m kinda at a loss...
It's getting very frustrating. When I called the Acura 1888 number, the lady suggested I can get a second opinion by going to another dealership. I'm doing so on Saturday. I just have this feeling that they're going to say "it's normal" or "nothing's wrong". I don't know what to do.

I posted a thread and one of the moderators posted a transmission reset, but I'm kind of nervous to do it alone to be honest...

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's getting very frustrating. When I called the Acura 1888 number, the lady suggested I can get a second opinion by going to another dealership. I'm doing so on Saturday. I just have this feeling that they're going to say "it's normal" or "nothing's wrong". I don't know what to do.

I posted a thread and one of the moderators posted a transmission reset, but I'm kind of nervous to do it alone to be honest...
Yeah I wouldn’t do anything like that on my own. Too complicated and sketchy. Let me know what the second opinion tells you! It is very frustrating to be driving and as soon as I feel the jerk I have a mini heart attack every single time. It’s not cool at all. I’m ready to trade in this car!!

·
Registered
Acura TLX 2018 V6 Tech Package
5 Posts
Yeah I wouldn’t do anything like that on my own. Too complicated and sketchy. Let me know what the second opinion tells you! It is very frustrating to be driving and as soon as I feel the jerk I have a mini heart attack every single time. It’s not cool at all. I’m ready to trade in this car!!
I have an update! I got a second opinion and they said pretty much the same thing like the first dealership. With 9 speed transmission, it is a normal characteristic to have a jerk. The advisor said it usually happens during low mph. I mentioned my big concern are issues (shift, transmission) in the long run/future. The advisor said they haven’t had any issues so far (in relation to my problem). They did hook my car up to the computer and did the diagnostic thing. No software updates or warning lights or problems occurred. They said they called Acura to research into the problem and suggested to do a transmission reset which resets the transmission and it will relearn my driving style. After, I have to give it 500 miles. It took about a 4 hour wait, and I got my car back. I do notice a difference and it does feel a bit more smooth. Let’s see how it goes!

·
Super Moderator
841 Posts
I have an update! I got a second opinion and they said pretty much the same thing like the first dealership. With 9 speed transmission, it is a normal characteristic to have a jerk. The advisor said it usually happens during low mph. I mentioned my big concern are issues (shift, transmission) in the long run/future. The advisor said they haven’t had any issues so far (in relation to my problem). They did hook my car up to the computer and did the diagnostic thing. No software updates or warning lights or problems occurred. They said they called Acura to research into the problem and suggested to do a transmission reset which resets the transmission and it will relearn my driving style. After, I have to give it 500 miles. It took about a 4 hour wait, and I got my car back. I do notice a difference and it does feel a bit more smooth. Let’s see how it goes!
Good luck! I hope the transmission reset did the trick!

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the forum, My wife has a 2017 TLX SH-AWD and it's been at the dealer twice for hard shifts at lower speeds, sometimes not even accelerating at all just coasting along and it BANGS into gear. The dealer has done a software update to it and it didn't seem to change a thing. They couldn't get it to duplicate the problem. The bigger issue is that it does it more when it's cold rather than warmed up. When on the highway and accelerating it seems to shift fine. My wife is concerned that if she keeps this car long term that she will end up flipping the bill on the transmission when its out of warranty. What do you guys think? Have others had problems severe enough with the 9 speed tranny that it needs replacing? Should we take it back a third time and ask them to do a reset? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 TLX V6 base model with about 34k miles on it and I've noticed it's been jerky in stop and go traffic. Is anyone else experiencing these issues? It is very smooth when accelerating but when I slow down sometimes it jerks down hard. I know it isn't anywhere near as bad as the issues with the 2015. Has anyone had a transmission software update on the 2017 TLX or is that even a thing to do? I know that it is not recalled with Acura. The sport mode and econ mode are much smoother than the normal mode, but I prefer normal mode best minus the jerkiness. It's not horrible it's just annoying.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2018 TLX V6 Tech bought new. Around 25K miles around 25 mph it will rev and hesitate and jerk into higher gear. It’s always the same gear. Happens when going steady speed or when you start to slowly accelerate. It now has 32K miles. I’m going to try the transmission reset. This has been a big disappointment thinking Acura had finally fixed their transmission issues. But obviously not. I own 3 Acura’s. I still drive my 2001, has 330K miles on it. Of course that transmission went out and had to replace. Also have a 2013 TL which has had zero issues other than constant warping of brake rotors. And of course this 2018.

·
Super Moderator
841 Posts
New to the forum, My wife has a 2017 TLX SH-AWD and it's been at the dealer twice for hard shifts at lower speeds, sometimes not even accelerating at all just coasting along and it BANGS into gear. The dealer has done a software update to it and it didn't seem to change a thing. They couldn't get it to duplicate the problem. The bigger issue is that it does it more when it's cold rather than warmed up. When on the highway and accelerating it seems to shift fine. My wife is concerned that if she keeps this car long term that she will end up flipping the bill on the transmission when its out of warranty. What do you guys think? Have others had problems severe enough with the 9 speed tranny that it needs replacing? Should we take it back a third time and ask them to do a reset? Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum. Hunt around the various discussion threads here and you'll find numerous threads about the jerky ZF 9-speed transmission. Keep after the dealer. Many have had transmission replacements. This has been a problem with the 9-speed since 2015.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts