Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 TLX V6 base model with about 34k miles on it and I've noticed it's been jerky in stop and go traffic. Is anyone else experiencing these issues? It is very smooth when accelerating but when I slow down sometimes it jerks down hard. I know it isn't anywhere near as bad as the issues with the 2015. Has anyone had a transmission software update on the 2017 TLX or is that even a thing to do? I know that it is not recalled with Acura. The sport mode and econ mode are much smoother than the normal mode, but I prefer normal mode best minus the jerkiness. It's not horrible it's just annoying.

·
Super Moderator
904 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Plenty of discussion topics here about the 9-speed. Take a read of all the good and bad points about this transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum.
Plenty of discussion topics here about the 9-speed. Take a read of all the good and bad points about this transmission.
Thank you for the response. I've seen replies about the 2015's but I haven't seen to much on the 2017s. Or the year hasn't been specified.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Perhaps you are experiencing the torque converter... at what speed are you experiencing this? When cold, warm both?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps you are experiencing the torque converter... at what speed are you experiencing this? When cold, warm both?
I would say roughly around 5-20 MPH. I'm in Texas so it's been really hot like around 100. Would the torque converter be effected from hot weather? But also if you meant for the engine, then maybe soon after starting it.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Hot weather shouldn't bother it... but I don't think its that... its normally lower than 20 when it engages and disengages. I would have the dealer have a look... might be a software update.

I would check the transmission fluid level just to eliminated that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought my 2017 Acura TLX Base model. I like the car but at times transmission slips. I don’t know much about cars but I hear Acura’s are reliable so I got one. I’m nervous about going to the dealer or mechanic if it needs a new transmission. It was an Acura dealership in Peoria, AZ. It was certified pre-owned and bought extended warranty. What should I do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 TLX V6 base model with about 34k miles on it and I've noticed it's been jerky in stop and go traffic. Is anyone else experiencing these issues? It is very smooth when accelerating but when I slow down sometimes it jerks down hard. I know it isn't anywhere near as bad as the issues with the 2015. Has anyone had a transmission software update on the 2017 TLX or is that even a thing to do? I know that it is not recalled with Acura. The sport mode and econ mode are much smoother than the normal mode, but I prefer normal mode best minus the jerkiness. It's not horrible it's just annoying.

I had the same issue with my 2017 TLX Base.
normal mode jerks randomly in traffic. I could be slowing down or accelerating. Not over the top but annoying when I want to have a smooth ride.

·
Super Moderator
841 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2017 TLX Base.
normal mode jerks randomly in traffic. I could be slowing down or accelerating. Not over the top but annoying when I want to have a smooth ride.
Welcome to the forum! So you have the 4cyl model with the 8-speed DCT? The overwhelming majority of transmission issues have been with the 9-Speed ZF transmission in the V6 model. I'd bring it back to the dealer and have them go on a test drive with you. Vince is the service manager there and he would be the most knowledgeable. (I bought my 2018 TLX at the same dealership).

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car was doing the same thing I took to dealership the problem was the transmission needed update and tht fixed my problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello All - I have a 2018 A-Spec too and for the last several months have been experiencing that jerky feeling in the lower rpm’s it’s kinda freaking me out. I’m around 36k miles on it. I have an Appt with the dealership too next month. I told the guy I had the transmission fluid changed at 30k and he freaked out and said it was too early for it. Should be done at around 50k. Would that mess the transmission up changing the fluid to early? I wouldn’t see that as the cause of the issue. Thoughts?!?

·
Super Moderator
904 Posts
Changing the fluid too early: mess it up? Check that dealership's credentials! Was it this dealership that performed the fluid change?
If that vehicle is still under warranty, you can push for all the countermeasures they have for that transmission. If they finally determine that the transmission is at fault, it should be replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Changing the fluid too early: mess it up? Check that dealership's credentials! Was it this dealership that performed the fluid change?
If that vehicle is still under warranty, you can push for all the countermeasures they have for that transmission. If they finally determine that the transmission is at fault, it should be replaced.
the dealership did not change the fluid. I have a friend who owns his own shop. I’m hoping that wouldn’t void the warranty though. I’m reading other years of this vehicle have a similar issue so that’s why I was questioning the response from the dealer when he said I changed it too early. Im just hoping it’s an easy fix. I’ve only had it for two years and I bought it brand new

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can’t chance the ATF too often. Remember that the ATF was brand new when the car was assembled on the factory line. That did it no harm. Correct?

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can’t chance the ATF too often. Remember that the ATF was brand new when the car was assembled on the factory line. That did it no harm. Correct?
thats what I’m trying to figure out. If changing the fluid too early caused it to become jerky in lower rpms or is it just an Acura known issue??

I’ll find out soon enough when the dealer looks at it. I just don’t want to be taken advantage of because I’m a girl. I don’t want them to tell me I need all this other crap done when my car is perfectly fine and I don’t want them to tell me the issue was my fault for changing the fluid too early. Just wanted to get other perspectives on this issue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Changing the ATF more often than prescribed by the service minder is completely harmless. In fact it’s extremely helpful to remove contaminants from the factory assembly process and contaminants from clutch pack and bearing wear. The fluid itself won’t have lost its shear capacity (ability to transmit torque), but clean fluid is an automatic transmission’s best friend. The only screw-ups are over-filling and under-filling or using the wrong ATF. The 9-speed is made by a third party company called ZF from Germany, and it won’t work properly (and probably would be damaged) if the correct fluid is not used. And again, fresh clean ATF was what you got when you received the car brand new, so it’s almost like starting from new again in a way.

·
Registered
73 Posts
By the way, I’ve noticed some jerkiness when decelerating / coasting with foot off the brake at low speeds. It seems the transmission is sometimes trying to downshift too soon as the vehicle slows down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
the dealership did not change the fluid. I have a friend who owns his own shop. I’m hoping that wouldn’t void the warranty though. I’m reading other years of this vehicle have a similar issue so that’s why I was questioning the response from the dealer when he said I changed it too early. Im just hoping it’s an easy fix. I’ve only had it for two years and I bought it brand new
Hello i also have a 2018 tlx that I bought new and I am having the same jerky issues..took to the dealership and they did a transmission flush but I am still having the jerky issues around 5- 20 miles..so to answer your question,no it did not hurt the vehicle when your friend change the fluids

·
Registered
Acura TLX 2018 V6 Tech Package
5 Posts
Hello i also have a 2018 tlx that I bought new and I am having the same jerky issues..took to the dealership and they did a transmission flush but I am still having the jerky issues around 5- 20 miles..so to answer your question,no it did not hurt the vehicle when your friend change the fluids
Hey I also have the 2018 TLX V6 with some jerk problems when shifting from 1 -2 (sometimes 2-3 too) around 5 - 20 miles also. Did you ever get yours fixed or looked at again?

My dealer said my 2018 model has a 9 speed transmission and the subtle jerk (the technician was able to replicate the subtle jerk) is considered a "characteristic that is normal" and he said "I wouldn't call it a problem". He told me they couldn't fix anything because no problems were identified (no software updates available, no light warnings occurred, and nothing showed up on the computer)...He said I can call the Acura 1888 number; I did and they said they can't do anything about it since the dealer said that there weren't any problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey I also have the 2018 TLX V6 with some jerk problems when shifting from 1 -2 (sometimes 2-3 too) around 5 - 20 miles also. Did you ever get yours fixed or looked at again?

My dealer said my 2018 model has a 9 speed transmission and the subtle jerk (the technician was able to replicate the subtle jerk) is considered a "characteristic that is normal" and he said "I wouldn't call it a problem". He told me they couldn't fix anything because no problems were identified (no software updates available, no light warnings occurred, and nothing showed up on the computer)...He said I can call the Acura 1888 number; I did and they said they can't do anything about it since the dealer said that there weren't any problems.
Oh wow that’s not cool. My dealer said because of all the new electronic technology in the car that they have a specific machine/computer they have to plug in to reset everything after the transmission fluid change. He said after 200 miles the car should re-learn how I drive and the jerking should subside. I’ve driven well over the 200 miles and I still feel the jerk in the car. If this is such a known issue why don’t they do a recall?? It’s not normal whatsoever to feel that when you are driving; especially at a lower rpm. I’m kinda at a loss...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts