Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Fellow 2015 TLX Owners,

It has come to be that time and my extended warranty expires in roughly a week's worth of driving (1000km's). I have a two part question for this thread;

1. Do I extend my coverage, I'm looking for the opinions of others based on my driving habits?

2. What do I want to look for and try to get fixed at my service appointment this week?

I purchased the car second hand in April, 2017, with approximately 40,000 km's on it and have since driven roughly 60,000 km's. When I bought the car it came with 100,000 km's of warranty coverage with the option to extend the coverage. At my last service I got a price for another 100,000 km's of coverage, 7 years 200,000 km's. The price I got was $3078+tax. Unfortunately I will chew through that coverage in less than 2 years. So my question for the group is, in the next two years does anyone think it's likely I will get $3078 worth of work done that would be covered under warranty? Also, what do we feel is a fair negotiated price for the warranty extension?

If I chose to not extend my coverage, I have one last service under warranty next week. What should I specifically look for before my service? As it stands right now I don't have any pressing issues. 2nd to 3rd shifts are a bit rough in the cold, but that seems to be standard with the V6.

Thank you all for your help

·
Registered
6 Posts
If I chose to not extend my coverage, I have one last service under warranty next week. What should I specifically look for before my service? As it stands right now I don't have any pressing issues. 2nd to 3rd shifts are a bit rough in the cold, but that seems to be standard with the V6.

Thank you all for your help[/QUOTE]

I'd get the techs to look at the transmission for sure I just bought a 15' V6 Base with 21,260 miles and mine was shifting hard in 2nd and 3rd. I kept insisting until they dropped in a new transmission under warranty. I've read that the 9-Speed ZF is unpredictable.

As for spending the $3078 I would say its a hit or miss IMO. If you have kept the car up to date on its regular maintenance I think it should be good.

My 2 cents, hope it helps. :)

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Its all how you feel if you will sleep better at night, then get it. IMHO I never purchase the extended warranty... and thus far from all my cars never needed it. Its a Honda so the odds are in your favor.

·
Super Moderator
800 Posts
Its all how you feel if you will sleep better at night, then get it. IMHO I never purchase the extended warranty... and thus far from all my cars never needed it. Its a Honda so the odds are in your favor.
Agreed! Plus the 4 yr/48000 mile warranty is a full year and 12000 miles better than most manufacturers new car warranties.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my experience the warranty is only as good as the dealership that does (or doesn't) support. I've dealt with five different Acura/Honda dealerships and have had fantastic experiences with three of them and awful experiences with the other two. The great ones pro-actively diagnosed and fixed issues, made me aware of recalls and service bulletins when I brought the car in for servicing, and never tried to dodge any issues when I raised them. They saved me thousands of dollars over the years.

The awful dealerships were the opposite and should be banned from selling Honda/Acura products as they give a bad name to the brand. The worst was Yellowhead Honda in Edmonton, Alberta. We bought a clean Honda Accord from them which later had a failed seal which led to the timing belt needing to be replaced. When we bought the car they assured us that the car had been serviced at their dealership. When we called them to get the service records after the seal failed they claimed they had no record of the car ever being serviced there. When I spoke to the store manager his first comment was "do you have anything in writing." A real sleazy sales/service experience.

The other dealership is Crown Acura in Greensboro, North Carolina. They are my local dealership and I really want to work with them, but their attitude towards service is literally "if it ain't broke we won't fix it." So if something is leaking or making a noise but still doing what it should, it won't be covered under warranty. The transmission in my 2015 TLX started making a groaning noise when in Drive and parked at a traffic light. This was around 60K miles so was still covered under warranty. I took it to Crown Acura and at first they tried to claim they didn't hear the noise. Then the service rep said he had heard it. So the story changed to, "well, maybe there is a noise but the transmission still works so we aren't going to fix or replace it." They said they would take it apart if I insisted, but if they didn't find a defective part I would be responsible for all costs. And the basis for their position was that since the transmission still worked the warranty wouldn't cover it.

Long story short, vehicles are complicated and a lot can go wrong that can be very expensive to fix, so an extended warranty is worth getting as long as you have a dealership that will honor that warranty and support you. They are out there if you can find them. But beware the sleaze balls. For reference, the great dealerships are Silverhill Acura in Calgary, Alberta; Regina Honda in Regina, Saskatchewan and Meidl Honda in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts