Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I'm trying to get some guidance from the community on what might be happening with my daughter's 2015 2wd TLX 4 cyl. I've seen multiple posts with similar issues, but not exactly what I'm seeing.
Yesterday morning (around 8 degrees F here), she pulled out of the driveway and a few miles down the road the car began to stumble and multiple display messages (brake system failure, emission system failure, parking brake system failure, etc, etc) were presented along with the CEL flashing. She was able to get to our house with the car apparently in limp mode. My first thought was the battery, as the car had acted similarly about 42 months ago when the battery went south (the car was fine after that battery change). I checked the battery and it was a solid 12.4V with about 14.3V with the car running. The car cranks fine, no hesitation. I disconnected the battery for 20 mins and when I started it back up the messages were gone, but the car was missing badly. I then pulled a P0303 (cylinder 3 misfire) from the pending codes. Someone told me that multiple failure messages will be thrown up when a car goes into the limp mode, so the core problem may well be a bad coil. This doesn't make sense to me, but I'd like some thoughts on where to start with this. I've found comments on about six different possible causes, from the high pressure fuel pump to toe-in actuators, so I'm trying to zero in. Could a bad coil alone cause the "Christmas tree" failure messages and limp mode issues? Does it make sense to swap the cyl 3 coil to a different cylinder and see if the failure follows that coil? Thanks

· Super Moderator
2015 Acura TLX, V6, P-AWS, Advance package
1,139 Posts
This does not seem to be a quick fix. You have troubleshooted it, but you may need to have the TLX connected to the Acura diagnostic tester.
Additional checks:
  • spark plugs
  • wires
Let us know what you find out.

· Registered
22 Posts
Hey I have tremendous empathy and sympathy for you, I have a 2015 TLX that I am trying to zero in on a trouble code. It lights up like a Christmas tree with all the lights on and we have replaced the battery a few times, I am going out to clean the terminals excetera and want to pull the codes off of the OBD Oh, did you use just a regular old cheap odb2 reader? Like the one you can borrow from Advance Auto Parts Etc?

not exacly the same issue as you but we may find the same solution 😃

· Registered
22 Posts
there is a on board diagnostic you can get to
Start-up procedure and Diagnosis Menu
Press and hold Menu, Map/Guide, and Cancel buttons. Keep them pressed for approximately 5 seconds. The display screen then goes directly to the Diagnostic Menu

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a quick follow up to close this out, the fix in my case was a bad ignition coil. The car was putting up an OBD cylinder 3 misfire code (P0303), in addition to the many, many messages being presented on the display (brake system failure, traction control failure, emission system failure, etc, etc, etc). Now here's my theory.....the software people that wrote the diagnostic code made it such that you'd want to get right to the dealership with a serious ignition system problem (a cylinder not firing at all) to prevent ruining the catalytic converter among other things. If anyone has any other theory about why the many, many unrelated failure messages, I'm all ears. All I can say is that the car is back on the road.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey I have tremendous empathy and sympathy for you, I have a 2015 TLX that I am trying to zero in on a trouble code. It lights up like a Christmas tree with all the lights on and we have replaced the battery a few times, I am going out to clean the terminals excetera and want to pull the codes off of the OBD Oh, did you use just a regular old cheap odb2 reader? Like the one you can borrow from Advance Auto Parts Etc?

not exacly the same issue as you but we may find the same solution 😃
See my follow up below. Good luck. My OBD reader is a simple bluetooth unit that pairs with a tablet, definitely not a high end setup, but it's been good enough for me.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
This does not seem to be a quick fix. You have troubleshooted it, but you may need to have the TLX connected to the Acura diagnostic tester.
Additional checks:
  • spark plugs
  • wires
Let us know what you find out.
An bad ignition coil apparently caused the whole mess, it's back on the road. A more detailed summary is above.

· Registered
8 Posts
I had a similar issue just a couple of weeks ago on my 2015 TLX. On Rte 95, my dashboard suddenly lit up like the Fourth of July. Every light said another thing was wrong with the car. It was late, cold, and dangerous, so I limped 8.5 miles home, then had it towed to a mechanic the next day.

In my case, it was a frozen bearing in the water pump. That in turn snapped the serpentine belt and blew out the motor's temperature gauge. Luckily, the mechanic was honest (new mechanic; my usual guy was booked) and tested the engine and found it undamaged.

It set me back a grand, but the guy showed me everything he did and he used OEM parts. The car runs the same as it did before the issues.

The thing I don't get, other than a water pump fail at 45K miles, is why I couldn't get better info from the warning lights. These lights can practically tell you if there's peace in the Middle East, but they can't determine the death of a major component? :)

· Registered
33 Posts
Just a quick follow up to close this out, the fix in my case was a bad ignition coil. The car was putting up an OBD cylinder 3 misfire code (P0303), in addition to the many, many messages being presented on the display (brake system failure, traction control failure, emission system failure, etc, etc, etc). Now here's my theory.....the software people that wrote the diagnostic code made it such that you'd want to get right to the dealership with a serious ignition system problem (a cylinder not firing at all) to prevent ruining the catalytic converter among other things. If anyone has any other theory about why the many, many unrelated failure messages, I'm all ears. All I can say is that the car is back on the road.
How many miles on the car when the ignition coil failed? I happy that you figured it out.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a similar issue just a couple of weeks ago on my 2015 TLX. On Rte 95, my dashboard suddenly lit up like the Fourth of July. Every light said another thing was wrong with the car. It was late, cold, and dangerous, so I limped 8.5 miles home, then had it towed to a mechanic the next day.

In my case, it was a frozen bearing in the water pump. That in turn snapped the serpentine belt and blew out the motor's temperature gauge. Luckily, the mechanic was honest (new mechanic; my usual guy was booked) and tested the engine and found it undamaged.

It set me back a grand, but the guy showed me everything he did and he used OEM parts. The car runs the same as it did before the issues.

The thing I don't get, other than a water pump fail at 45K miles, is why I couldn't get better info from the warning lights. These lights can practically tell you if there's peace in the Middle East, but they can't determine the death of a major component? :)
Yeah, at the end of the day the stored code that I was able to pull out of the OBD system with a scan tool led me to the ultimate problem, but I'll never understand the endless failure messages that were scrolled across the dash (brake system failure?), your first thought is that it's a catastrophic failure of the car's ECM, just a really lousy system. It really makes owners that are not technical enough to do some troubleshooting be at the mercy of the dealership or an independent mechanic to be honest. I spent more time trying to figure out why the endless failure messages, while just a check engine light and the engine miss would have put me right on the issue.

· Registered
8 Posts
I was getting the same warning of brake system failure as well. Battery, engine danger, it was an endless display of catastrophe. Because the car still sounded fine, I was ready to believe in simple electric malfunction until I saw the serpentine belt curled up at the back corner like a ... well, a serpent.

· Super Moderator
2021 TLX Type S, 355 hp, twin turbo, curb weight 4221 lbs a little heavy
189 Posts
I was getting the same warning of brake system failure as well. Battery, engine danger, it was an endless display of catastrophe. Because the car still sounded fine, I was ready to believe in simple electric malfunction until I saw the serpentine belt curled up at the back corner like a ... well, a serpent.
Sorry to hear all the problem you have. Next time when you go to your dealer or mechanic, I usually tell them to put it on a lift and lift it up, see with your own eyes. It happen to my Volvo C70, everytime when I go to Washington DC my check engine light will on, couple of times later, I told my dealer lift the car up and I found out my bottom oil pan is bend. They replace it and trouble go away. It always need to raise questions, I always ask myself why. It is not bad luck but everything can be fix. Just have to look. Good luck.

· Registered
22 Posts
yeah , it did it again and went into limp mode as well , I ran the autel tester on it and cleared the codes

most of the codes went away but the P0711 is the one i am focused on here . I have not done the trans filters yet , I will

am i barking up the right tree here ,?

new report attached ( prior to clearing the codes)

:)

Attachments

· Super Moderator
2021 TLX Type S, 355 hp, twin turbo, curb weight 4221 lbs a little heavy
189 Posts
I am thinking of replacing the transmission sensor for temperature , does anyone have the right part number for this
How many miles your car has. It is worth for all the trouble? It sounds like a big job, unless you are a mechanic or you have a close friend is and specific in Honda and Acura. Or else I will advise you take it to a reliable shop. Sorry to hear what happen to you.
Last time my TL spin me off the highway , I change my car immediately. Don't like the trouble.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts