Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all! I am new to the forum and have read quite a few of your threads. I apologize if the topic of my thread has already been started somewhere on the site; it is possible I missed it.

Anyway, I am posting because I am at my wit's end with this vehicle. It is my 4th Acura (all were leased brand new) and I am so disappointed with what has transpired since I leased it in September of 2014.

I, like many other people, am experiencing the "jerky" transmission and hesitation when I press on the gas from a stop. I have almost gotten into two accidents due to this issue. My vehicle has been in to the dealership to be repaired four times now. Much of my time has been spent trying to convince the people at Acura that there is a problem and a significant safety issue with the vehicle. The second time it was in the shop, they had the vehicle for around 3 weeks and after taking "snapshots" of the transmission, performed a software upgrade on the vehicle, which they feel completely resolved this issue. It didn't. The last two times it has been in the shop, they claim they are unable to duplicate the issue I am having.

My case went to mediation and I am being offered $4,500 as a cash settlement to take my [defective] vehicle back. Taking the offer would mean Acura (Honda) would have no further responsibility for the transmission of the vehicle, which I find to be completely unacceptable.

I will not bore you with all the details of this case, but my main reason for posting is this: has anyone who has experienced this issue with their vehicle filed and won a lemon lawsuit? This is definitely my next step. I have been a loyal customer to Acura for many years and do not feel I have been treated fairly during this situation. All I want is a reliable vehicle that works!

Thanks for listening/reading and for any advice or personal experience you can offer!

Be well! ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Your case went to mediation with who? Do you currently have an attorney? If not, check out the lemon laws in your state and talk to one. The consultation is free and they don't get paid unless you win your case, and they're paid by the manufacturer.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Hello to all! I am new to the forum and have read quite a few of your threads. I apologize if the topic of my thread has already been started somewhere on the site; it is possible I missed it.

Anyway, I am posting because I am at my wit's end with this vehicle. It is my 4th Acura (all were leased brand new) and I am so disappointed with what has transpired since I leased it in September of 2014.
[Edited for clarity]
I will not bore you with all the details of this case, but my main reason for posting is this: has anyone who has experienced this issue with their vehicle filed and won a lemon lawsuit? This is definitely my next step. I have been a loyal customer to Acura for many years and do not feel I have been treated fairly during this situation. All I want is a reliable vehicle that works!

Thanks for listening/reading and for any advice or personal experience you can offer!

Be well! ;)
Welcome to the Forum! Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I wish you could have posted in happier times. I understand you are frustrated. Have you complained to Acura Customer Relations directly and also filled a report with NHTSA or Travel Canada?

Maybe someone here can assist. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
727 Posts
Good advice listed here. Best to take advantage of things already in place to protect the consumer. Thankfully it seems efforts across the board to protect consumers have ramped up over the years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Get a lemon lawyer. Acura will pay the attorney fees.

If you take their offer they're not responsible to you for anything else.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

·
Registered
27 Posts
I assume you are talking about the 8-speed DCT.

Have you seen this post by another user?

www.tlxforums.com/forum/tlx-issues-problems/10201-good-news-8-speed-dct-people.html
interesting...

Read the repair procedure...looks like a dance...lol...
8.Press down on the brake pedal and release it.
9.Press down and release the accelerator pedal three times.
10.Press down on the brake pedal, shift from Park to Neutral, then release the brake pedal.
11.Press down and release the accelerator pedal three times.
12.Press down on the brake pedal, shift from Neutral to Park, then release the brake pedal.
13.Press down and release the accelerator pedal three times.
14.Press down on the brake pedal and hold it.

why go through all that when they could probably put it in the break mode using some software switch....i wonder

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi ohnoyoudidnt,

Sorry to hear that man - I certainly understand the frustration dealing with ACR and the TLX. So, I started the Lemon Law process at the start of this month by requesting for a final repair to be done to my vehicle, based on me being in the shop multiple times for the same transmission issues with my 2.4L 8sp DCT. I have been in multiple times for the same jerky shifting issues and have experienced the 'slip' to neutral saftey concern where the vehicle revved up in RPMs leaving a parking lot, but the vehicle did not move until I let off the accelerator and it jumped back into gear. Acura had a District Parts & Service Manager (DPSM) come out to my dealership, test drive my TLX and then recomended to replace the entire transmission! They performed that work as part of the Final Repair under Lemon Law, and gave me my car back last week. I have driven on it for about a week now and sadly the new transmission did not fix any of the problems, even added some new ones. The transmission now has this freaky shaking sensation when shifting in lower gears that it never had before.

Yesterday I sent in my notice to Acura to request a refund for my TLX. I have not heard back from them yet, but I am hoping they will be reasonible and fulfilll my request, but honestly I don't know how they are going to react. This is my first car purchase and its very unfortunate how everything has played out so far...I'm really hoping it doesn't come to this point, but if they refuse my request for refund I will be moving forward with an attorney I have spoken to about my case. I don't know much about this process, but I am hoping if it does come to this point that it won't be expensive to pursue. Others have mentioned that Acura will pay for the attorney fees? I am just not sure how all this works as its my first vehicle purchase and I'm having to go through this Lemon Law ordeal...

Hope my story helps somewhat, I'll be sure to follow up when I hear back from Acura on how they would like to proceed.

-Bryant
Sorry to hear about your trouble. Am certainly highly doubting my future acura purchase now. Did the service technician experience the symtoms you experienced and acknowledged there was an issue?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Transmission problems?

Sport +
Traction control off
Idle stop off
Brake hold on
Wait for the green
Boom! She HAULS off the line.

I think under those parameters, my TLX is quicker then my Genesis out of the hole.

I dont have a problem with that.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

interesting...

Read the repair procedure...looks like a dance...lol...
[Edited for clarity]
why go through all that when they could probably put it in the break mode using some software switch....i wonder
Welcome to the Forum. Glad to see you made your first posts today.

Please take some time to read through messages concerning transmission issues. This is not a new topic. Some members have experienced problems while some have not.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Glad to see you made your first posts today.

Please take some time to read through messages concerning transmission issues. This is not a new topic. Some members have experienced problems while some have not.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Where do y'all bury the posts with Trans Issues? Months ago you had pages upon pages of issues. It seems that they get closed out and put somewhere. I understand that some people do not have this issue but there are many that do. Is it just my search feature that does not work?
Help me here... Please

·
Registered
144 Posts
Where do y'all bury the posts with Trans Issues? Months ago you had pages upon pages of issues. It seems that they get closed out and put somewhere. I understand that some people do not have this issue but there are many that do. Is it just my search feature that does not work?
Help me here... Please
Welcome to the forum.

I am using Safari on an iMac and just tried the search function by clicking on the magnifying glass and typing in "transmissions" and it listed several pages worth of threads about transmission issues. I also located one thread under "Active Topics" that was devoted to transmission issues.

Fortunately, I have not experienced any transmission problems yet.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Help me here... Please
Click this link -> Acura TLX Forum - Search Results for Transmission Issues

If a post is closed there could be a reason. Posts can become stale and your info may be buried 7 pages deep past closed incidents. If you have an issue or problem and the post is closed, become an Original Poster (OP) and state your issue. We can then use that thread as yours while we track your progress. Once the issue has been resolved as stated in your closing post, we close the thread. Nothing is deleted.

If your issue is just a complaint or question, please state it within the Complaints section. If you car is currently in the shop or under a lemon law case and the issue is active, state you issue under the Issues section.

When you get a chance, try search again. It is a helpful tool.

Also, tell us about yourself. We tend to help people with more enthusiasm when they share information. Information is a two-way street. We do not charge for this service, but we would like to learn more about you and your TLX. :)

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
[Edited for clarity]...
Fortunately, I have not experienced any transmission problems yet.
Thanks @Wade for giving help.

We both are in the Lucky No Transmission Problems Group. :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks @Wade for giving help.

We both are in the Lucky No Transmission Problems Group. :D
No tranny issues at all. As fact, it shifts superbly in all modes.

Weird shifting with no clutch. Reminiscent of my '69 Beetle w/ AutoStick...

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Maybe less users of this forum are experiencing these issues? Maybe there is just more complainers on AcuraZine lol. My car shifts great. Like I mentioned early, you really have to drive appropriately for what IDS mode its in. If you granny it in Sport+, the shifts can be kinda harsh for example.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi,

I have had a few TLX's (4cyl) for demo's and always commented to the dealer on the poor shifting and hesitations I felt. I talked to the dealer and they tell me that some notice it and some don't.

What I have noticed was that if your heavy footed in ECONO or NORMAL the hesitation is really noticeable. Like @MTD mentioned "you really have to drive appropriately for what IDS mode its in".

I have a friend with a Honda Accord that's supposed to have the same transmission and he has absolutely no hesitation issues (and I've driven with him to see for myself).

I have purchased a V6 for the transmission issue that I do not want to have.

Hunter

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I believe the 4 cyl TLX and 2016 ILX are the only two platforms using the new 8 speed transmission. The Accord still has the 6 speed. I'm guessing the 2016 Accord may have it though.

Either way I hope you enjoy your V6 TLX and that the wait is the worst part of your experience. ;)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Chatting with my dealer yesterday, and she has the 4 cylinder. Her husband has noticed the bizarre loss of power for a few seconds, and the occassional surge. But no complaints on jerkiness.

I dont think Zcamada has the software updates yet, so we will see.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts