Acura TLX Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am experiencing the same issue. It only happens once every couple of months when I am in stop and go traffic. The car goes into idle while I am at a light or at a stop sign and then the car goes from idle to complete shut down with the dashboard lights coming on saying to switch the car to park followed by the message to step on the brake and press the engine button to start the car. I took the car to my Acura dealership and they said two people drove it and didn't happen to them, which is not a surprise because it only happens once in a while when I am in stop and go traffic. It is super frustrating and I would appreciate any suggestions to resolve.
I had the same issue. I took it in twice to the dealership - and they reset something - and it happened again. FInally, after opening an issue with US Honda, I decided my safety and life were worth the $200. I took it in to replace the battery myself - but in fact it came up as defective at the Acura dealership - and the battery was changed out under warranty. My car is 18 months old.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Unbelievable that you had to go through that... for something like a battery... glad your issue was resolved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Now, the million dollar question is - how do I know when my battery has to be replaced next time? Will I have to be stranded several times before it tests bad? Why does the engine fail to restart from an "idle engine stop" before the battery tests bad? This has me pretty worried. Anyone else have an answer?

·
Super Moderator
869 Posts
I cannot offer an answer.
That would be a great question to ask the service manager next time you take your car in for service.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I know what you mean... had similar issue happen (my head lights would dim and the car would turn over very slowly from the auto idle restart)... odd part I never once got a low voltage / low battery etc on the display. No idea how one would tell . IMHO there is a software defect with the idle restart in not seeing a bad battery.

At one point I was going to install a small LED voltmeter... just to see what it is reading when the engine is started (un heavy load) - killed that proejct couldn't find any place to put the display without looking like a 2 year old installed it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's an odd one, for sure.
nah not odd, happen to the wife, in stop in go traffic, would not turn over, then the dash showed it in neutrol, then in park then she was able to
to push start button, and the engine turned over, took to the dealer, found nothing wrong, said it's the Gas we used, we use United Oil, gas,
been using it for years on our other cars, they have no answers...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you replaced your battery since new?
I would start there and see what happens.
yup the wife has on the start stop feature, on stop & go traffic, she said she was so scared she tried to start, nothing, not even a click sound, then she said the car showed it was in neutral, then in the park then she was able to push to start, took it to the dealer, said its the Gas we use, hog wash been using the same gas with our other cars with no problem, they said because the other cars don't have the start stop feature...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I think the NHTSAshould get involved... this is unsafe.. and prob due to a weak battery but there is no warning on the dash your battery is getting weak.

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2015 with V6 and AWD and idle-stop. After about 3 years, mine also would engage auto-shut-off, then instead of restarting, would go to neutral and say shift-to-park. I also took it to the dealer a few times and they found nothing wrong. I decided to replace the battery and for the past 2 years it has not failed to restart. I guess that when the battery gets weak, it's time to replace it or shut off the idle-stop until replacing the battery. Also, I got an Interstate battery with more CCA and lower cost than the Acura battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this same issue with my 2015 TLX AWD 6 cyl, which I purchased new. I've taken it to the dealership, they tested the battery and updated the software connected to the fuel pump issue. They could not "recreate" the problem and basically suggested it was user error (surprise - I'm not a fan of this service dept). It still happens intermittently and is extremely dangerous and I tolerate it for some unknown reason. I just try to remember to turn off the feature.
I loved my 2004 TL and do not have the same trust or affection for this car. I will not be purchasing another Acura. This car has been a disappointment. I'm glad I found this thread, though. Confirms I am not crazy.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts