Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone experiencing their 2015 TLX turning off whilst sitting in traffic? This has happened two days in a row now. I took my car in the next day to the dealership but they didnt work on it and i needed a car to get home. So i was given my car back. On the way home around 7pm the car again turned off wholst sitting in traffic. Both times an amber colored edison bulb popped up and the message was "shift to park" which only lasted about to secs. So i was unable to capture a pic. I put the car in park and restarted the car without a problem. I cant imagine this is a safe way to drive especially when both times this happened i was at a traffic light.

My other issues of course is the jerky gear shifts. the down shift paddle when used to slow the car down only seem to accelerate the car (started happening a couple months ago). Making a right turn into oncoming traffic only to have the car stall and the rpms went up but the car wont move; I shifted immediately into neutral and then bk into drive and was able to drive off. The garage remote doesnt work once a week. When changing from park to drive or reverse, the car tries to lunge forward but i know to keep my foot hard on the brake now. Sometimes there is a pause in the acceleration which didnt happen in the beginning. I know im missing other issues. Ohh another. In my garage a few months ago the car would not start tho the dash bluetooth and stereo worked. The engine would turn but not turnover and start. I tried both keys i had. I tried everything i had in front of me. there was no way to turn the car dash stereo etc off. Finally 25 mins later it worked. Pushing the button finally worked. There was a sound and it seemed like a reset was done. And dont forget all the weird lights on the dash. Dealer found nothing wrong of course. The prob hasnt happened again. Very disappointed in this car.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Maybe post in the new owners thread when you have some time.

That obviously isn't normal behavior for the car and hopefully they can get it fixed for you. Let us know what the results are. I believe there was another member who had to have his car towed because it wouldn't start. That was in his garage though. I'll see if I can find it.

Too bad they don't have loaners at your dealership. It would save you having to deal with yours. It's probably not safe if it's stalling in traffic especially if you're turning left across lanes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got my car back from santa monica dealership 5 days ago which was wednesday sept 30. They said they couldnt find anything wrong and were unable to duplicate any of my issues. So they "reset" a few things whatever that means. So far i havent experienced the jerky transmission when driving nor the other problems. The car does seem smoother tho. I will wait to see what happens.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Thanks for coming back with an update.

Hopefully the stalling was something they fixed with the reset that they did. It might specifcy what was reset on your invoice.

The transmission may have received the latest update which may explain the smoother shifting.

Either way I hope it's smooth driving from here.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I didn't see it mentioned... do you have the I4 or the V6? FWD or AWD?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They didnt list that anything was done. For each item the noted they cudnt duplicate the problem. No where on the papers i received did it note that any resets were done, except to the garage opener, nor any updates done. I was told the tech mgr worked on the car and took it home two nites in a row. I was also told they left all the items they cudnt address as open orders on the account.

It is an AWD vehicle.

It is running smoother and much less jerks while im driving as the transmission changes gears. Before, now and then but more often, it wud change like a person learning to drive a stick but not as bad. Now, when i do change gears from park to reverse there isnt that clunk id get sometimes before.

Its interesting that i was told no updates were available for my car and why is it driving so much better right now. Im glad it is tho until the next prob.

It is too bad acura isnt on their game on a new release kinda like having a new release of apple ios... The issues.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
From past vehicles I've learned to expect issues from first year vehicles. I'm not saying it's right, just expected.

Hopefully yours is better. Let us know either way.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but since you do have the AWD, I have to ask... Are you sure you're not talking about the Auto Idle Stop feature? In the AWD version, the car is designed to cut the engine when you stop at a stop light, and will automatically restart when you let up off the brake pedal (or touch the gas pedal, if you have brake hold on) or slightly turn the steering wheel.

You can avoid this by turning AIS off (last button on the shift column), but this will default back to "On" every time you start your car. You can also (mostly) avoid it by having a light touch on the brake when stopping, since it only activates with firm brake pressure. This is what I do. Light brake pressure when I know the light is about to change, or firm pressure when I know it's going to last awhile.

(I know this is an older thread, so even if this was it, you've likely figured this out by now... but posting this to help others.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am experiencing the same issue. It only happens once every couple of months when I am in stop and go traffic. The car goes into idle while I am at a light or at a stop sign and then the car goes from idle to complete shut down with the dashboard lights coming on saying to switch the car to park followed by the message to step on the brake and press the engine button to start the car. I took the car to my Acura dealership and they said two people drove it and didn't happen to them, which is not a surprise because it only happens once in a while when I am in stop and go traffic. It is super frustrating and I would appreciate any suggestions to resolve.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Defective battery.
AutoStop/Start does not work well with a defective battery. The dealer changed my 2 year old battery under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has happen to me 4-5 times and it can put you in a very dangerous situation expectantly if your in the middle of an intersection or trying to pull out in to fast moving traffic.
I've found that if you go to release the brake and the exact same time as the Auto Idle Stop feature kicks in the car shuts down. not only does it shut down it goes into some weird accessory mode where you can't restart with out going through a huge routine and if your in the middle of intersection and the lights have changed it can cause quit a panic.
My only solution has been to disable the Auto Idle Stop feature before I drive and never buy another Acura.

·
Super Moderator
720 Posts
I would agree that the battery in these vehicles are heavily stressed with all the electronics and even more so with the AIS that turns the car off and on many times each trip. If you are driving a 2015, that means your battery is already 3 to 4 years old. Likewise, if you use the AIS, seat heaters and other options heavily, you could have a battery starting to fail or already at a point where it is causing problems like the OP had. Personally, I turn off the AIS system as an automatic reaction whenever I get into my car.

On a more humorous note, I was moving cars around in our driveway and got into my wife's Toyota, pushed the automatic start, and then reached down toward the end of the console by habit, and pushed her straw through the plastic lid into her drink. I told her that it just fell in..........

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I had my battery replaced under warranty... at the time I didn't have any symptoms with anything including the AIS. About 6 months ago I had very spastic AIS issues. Where one in about 10 AIS restarts the car would barely start but did. The dealer kept the car for a day could not reproduce it and confirmed the batter was OK. So after that I tried to video tape it with my phone for about a week. It never accrued again.... then 3-4 weeks a I still had the issue but perhaps once every 40-50 AIS restarts.

So until I can capture it on video to show the dealer I'm stuck with this very random issue. Personally I don't feel like its a battery issue but a software restart logic issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 TLX AWD. I live in Northeast New Jersey and have had my car stall in traffic 3 times. I live outside of Manhattan where there is a ton of traffic and am very concerned for my safety and the safety of other drivers. I have taken it to my local Acura dealers twice now and they have found nothing wrong. Also, I can’t even take it now to get looked at because my dealers don’t have loaners for a week or 2. I would have to take days off of work just to get my car assessed and hopefully fixed. This entire situation is frustrating and at times dangerous. I have been given a verbal “we will fix this issue if it persists, even when your warranty runs out” do to the fact that they couldn’t fix it while it was under warranty. Needless to say I am extremely disappointed with Acura.
Has anyone else experienced this stalling issue and if so, how was it resolved?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have a 2015 TLX AWD. I live in Northeast New Jersey and have had my car stall in traffic 3 times. I live outside of Manhattan where there is a ton of traffic and am very concerned for my safety and the safety of other drivers. I have taken it to my local Acura dealers twice now and they have found nothing wrong. Also, I can’t even take it now to get looked at because my dealers don’t have loaners for a week or 2. I would have to take days off of work just to get my car assessed and hopefully fixed. This entire situation is frustrating and at times dangerous. I have been given a verbal “we will fix this issue if it persists, even when your warranty runs out” do to the fact that they couldn’t fix it while it was under warranty. Needless to say I am extremely disappointed with Acura.
Has anyone else experienced this stalling issue and if so, how was it resolved?
Have you replaced your battery since new?
I would start there and see what happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
had similar issues in my 15 TLX Base FWD. 3rd time this happened. Re-started the car drove for about 5 minutes the lights reset itself...Had to go back to Acura Serramonte the next day since they didn't have loaners. Also each time I hit a bump, the car felt like over-steering and very loose...Hopefully I get my car back tomorrow. Had to replace rear brakes and re-surface rotors so all in $478 and previous A3 was Tran Flush and Oil Change. That time they said the Rears were at 7mm now it's at 3-3.5 and previously was the same.. I'm keeping records to see what else these techs don't know....Keep everyone posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
Funny enough, I got a mailer from my local dealer with offers.
One of those offers was for a battery replacement for $130.
It came with a long warranty (don't recall how long) but that warranty excluded 2015-2017 TLXs with the V6 engine...sounds like they know they put too small of a battery in these cars with the Auto Idle Stop.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts