Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! New member here! I thought I would ask this question to the group hoping that someone has experienced the same thing. We have a 2015 TLX base model with 103,000 miles. In the past year or so, when the car is idling in Drive, there's a significant rattling noise that comes from the front of the car. We think it's either in the engine area or somewhere in between the driver and the engine. It usually starts happening after the car has been warmed up on any drive, so it doesn't happen right away. Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions/thoughts as to what it might be? Thanks so much!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Acura TLX, V6, P-AWS, Advance package
1,127 Posts
As tough as this may sound to diagnose, you will really have to limit each area to zero in on the correct area. You will need to be out of the driver’s seat to find this noise/rattle. The sound in the passenger cabin gets bounced around off the windows and can lead you to the wrong area,
You may also slowly rev up the engine to start the rattle and then back off to stop it. This will help you zero in on that rattle.
Let us know what you find.

·
Super Moderator
888 Posts
Drive with your windows down and next to a curb on the right. The sound will reflect off the curb. Do this again on a one way street for the left side of the car. This will tell you if the noise is on the left or right side of the car.

While the vehicle is idling, put on the parking brake and drive the vehicle up to a curb or concrete parking block (for extra safety) and then get under the vehicle to see where it is rattling. Might be best to have a second person in the vehicle with foot on the brake too.

My "guess" is the catalytic converter is rattling or perhaps a heat shield.

Lastly, when the vehicle is making the rattling sound, get out your phone and record the sound. We have lots of knowledgable people here and I'm sure someone would be able to identify the sound.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Do you feel vibration in the steering wheel when in drive and stopped at a light? If so it may be one of the electronic motor mounts! One in the front and one in the rear of the engine. Honda and Acuras are noted for these mounts to wear out! The vibration maybe traveling causing a component to rattle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts