Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been going back and forth between lower end cars and higher end cars, deciding what price point I want to hit with my new car purchase... I've gone from 2015 Honda Accord, to 2016 Nissan Maxima, to the 2014 (or 2015) Infinity Q50, now I'm taking a strong look at the 2015 Acura based on the advice of my brother in law... I actually like the Acura's a whole lot however there is something that bothers me and I'm not sure of - see I'm an IT guy and smartphone interface and tech stuff is my passion... it appears that because Acura (and even the other model cars I've looked at) is using a crazy dual touch screen infotainment/nav setup with some very proprietary connections I cannot install a 3rd party/aftermarken head unit in the car... Which means I'm stuck with the factory installed dash system which may or may not be updated with new features and upgrades as time goes on; I've already read that the 2016 TLX will have carplay but it will not be backwards compatible with 2015 models by way of an update - UGH! So my question is, am I missing something? Can TLX's really not be upgrades with a 3rd party/aftermarket headunit/nav system? I've spent some time playing with the TLX's Nav system and it's not even as full featured as my pioneer Nav from 6 years ago so it worries me if I'm stuck with the OEM installed system. Like I said, I'm an IT guy so tech in my car is of the utmost importance to me.

So what do you guys think? Have you heard of or seen anybody successfully installed an aftermarket headhunt? Is this just not possible with the TLX? Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond

·
Registered
71 Posts
While it may not be impossible to do so, there are huge drawbacks that would make an aftermarket headunit inadvisable. The lower screen controls much more than the audio sources as it also ties into climate control, seat heaters, etc. and also works hand-in-hand with the top screen. While not the fanciest system out there, I actually do like it a lot as everything works well together between the top and lower screens. It is quick to respond and doesn't freeze like I noticed in the Q50 when I test drove it (I think this is still a common problem with Infiniti's InTouch system...).

I can see aftermarket headunits becoming less common as car manufacturers start to migrate to these kinds of systems like you have seen in Honda/Acura and Nissan/Infiniti.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

So I've been going back and forth between lower end cars and higher end cars, deciding what price point I want to hit with my new car purchase... I've gone from 2015 Honda Accord, to 2016 Nissan Maxima, to the 2014 (or 2015) Infinity Q50, now I'm taking a strong look at the 2015 Acura based on the advice of my brother in law... I actually like the Acura's a whole lot however there is something that bothers me and I'm not sure of - see I'm an IT guy and smartphone interface and tech stuff is my passion... it appears that because Acura (and even the other model cars I've looked at) is using a crazy dual touch screen infotainment/nav setup with some very proprietary connections I cannot install a 3rd party/aftermarken head unit in the car... Which means I'm stuck with the factory installed dash system which may or may not be updated with new features and upgrades as time goes on; I've already read that the 2016 TLX will have carplay but it will not be backwards compatible with 2015 models by way of an update - UGH! So my question is, am I missing something? Can TLX's really not be upgrades with a 3rd party/aftermarket headunit/nav system? I've spent some time playing with the TLX's Nav system and it's not even as full featured as my pioneer Nav from 6 years ago so it worries me if I'm stuck with the OEM installed system. Like I said, I'm an IT guy so tech in my car is of the utmost importance to me.

So what do you guys think? Have you heard of or seen anybody successfully installed an aftermarket headhunt? Is this just not possible with the TLX? Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond
I have been an IT guy since 1987 (commercially) and I find the tech in my 2014 TLX Tech package to be enough for me. I guess if I wanted more tech I could have gone with the V6 Advance.

I drive my car a little more than 2 hours a day. It has plenty of features and music options to keep me entertained. There are many reports concerning the two monitors. Maybe I am adaptable, but I find them easy and comfortable to use.

Since I know how to get to work, NAV is not a necessity for me. I also do not take long trips with my car on vacations. I fly and rent local, giving the TLX a vacation as well. The NAV, when needed, is fine for me.

The Bluetooth options open up other areas of entertainment. I listen to audio books when I get tired of listening to music from Pandora, XM, FM, CD, HDD or USB. Gee, I can even listen to music over Bluetooth. I did find a radio station on TuneIn Radio based in Ouray, Colorado. I find it neat to listen to the ski reports when it's over 90F in South Florida. (:::Mountain Chill:::)

Part of the fun is the actual drive itself. After almost a year, I still enjoy how it handles on the road.

Everyone can have an opinion. The above is my own. :D

Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
#summest is spot on. I too love tech. The most tech you will find in cars these days is NOT in the infotainment arena. So CarPlay/Android Auto (CP/AA) is the latest carrot for auto manufacturers.
Look at the 2016 Accord CarPlay demo.
When I saw that demo, I severely downgraded my desire for either CP or AA.

The realm of car tech will be the "nanny" features that protect the driver and vehicle.

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
228 Posts
It sounds like you may want to wait for or choose a vehicle that has CarPlay or Android Auto. Seems like that would be better than forcing an aftermaket unit into your vehicle. That's my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think you'd be able to replace the bottom screen (the actual touch screen) but not the top. I'm not sure how they're connected so it might disable the top screen when you remove the bottom. That's the only thing I'd be concerned with...

If you're willing to go to a custom audio shop they can do anything, it's just going to cost you.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think you'll be extremely pleased with the Tech Pkg. We went through the same cross shopping process as you and landed with the TLX 2.4l Tech Pkg. Came VERY close to buying a 2016 Maxima SV. We def made the best decision.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts