Acura TLX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
The smartest way to shop for any car in my opinion is by getting the dealer invoice price. If you are in Canada, I'd recommend unhaggle.com

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
The smartest way to shop for any car in my opinion is by getting the dealer invoice price. If you are in Canada, I'd recommend unhaggle.com
In the US, we have truecar.com and some others. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
In the US, we have truecar.com and some others. :)
+1 for Truecar.com

Also, consider visiting more than one Acura dealer, taking a test drive, and giving if possible a firm date in the near future that you will make a decision. You need to be upfront with them and make sure the salesperson understands that you appreciate their efforts to earn your business but will be visiting other Acura dealer(s). They will want to know and believe that you have decided trim level, color, options. My advice is to tell them that you plan to buy a car on (example) Friday Feb 28th. What I usually tell them and do is say that I plan on taking that day off with the intention of completing the purchase, but also having plenty of time to confirm final dealer out the door price. Inventory levels of TLX are good so your best chance of a deal is the last weekday of the month in whatever month you purchase.

Terms to use in conversations with dealer salespersons - politely but very directly...

"I am not interested in a back and forth negotiation process, the dealer that clearly and completely provides me with the best out the door price will earn my business"

"I have allocated plenty of time to reach my decision and will do so on (specific date), not before."

Keep in mind that the salesperson has been trained to "train" you to say yes. This is important (I used to sell cars).

For example:

Would you like a cup of coffee or a soft drink?
Isn't this feature nice?
Do you like the color?

They know the more they get you to say yes, the more likely you are going to continue to say yes.

Other tips - Avoid going inside to discuss price before you are ready. Stick with the story that you are only interested in their best out the door price when the time comes. You have to decide whether or not to give them your contact info. If so, make it a point to tell them you don't want phone calls but prefer email contact. Reply with courtesy to their emails (they will send) but keep the responses to "Nothing has changed, I will still be making my final decision based on best out the door price on blank date, and thank them for the information without acknowledging any other "pressing" reason they want you to act or commit now/ASAP, etc. Don't put anything more in the email response than that. Likewise, if they call and they probably will even if you ask them not to, keep your response to verbatim the same as suggested for the email response.

Good luck

·
Registered
520 Posts
What I did is buy a New Car Price Report from Consumer Reports for around $15. This let me know what the dealership paid for the car after some discounts. Next I added 3% for dealer profits to the amount in the report. I then told the salesman that I didn't want to spend time going back and forth and told them how I came up with my price (new car price report and 3% profit). I also told them that this was the "out the door" price I wanted to pay, including their $399 documentation fee. They agreed!

This price was quite a bit lower than the TrueCar.com price. They are also the only Acura dealer within an hour and a half of me.

Oh, one last thing, I did this all over email. I would have only gone to the dealer twice if they hadn't messed up the warranty they sold me. I went once to test drive the car in September and then didn't go back until December to pick up my car after it came in. I had to go back two days later to resign all the paperwork because they screwed up...but that's a different story that is posted on this forum elsewhere.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I didn't think to get the Consumer Reports pricing report. Now that I bought my car I don't think I want to know.

Truecar.com indicated that in Oregon I would probably wind up paying sticker or maybe even a little more.

AAA offers a car buying service where they shop for deals on in-stock cars. They offered me a bit of a discount from MSRP for a car that was almost what I wanted.

I wound up using the Costco auto program. I paid invoice +$900 + Destination ($895) + Protection Package 1 +licensing. Discount came to about $1,800. Better than retail but probably not the very best I could have done. I was swayed by the fact that it was the only car in Oregon with the right color combination. Everyone but me seems to want black leather.

And the dealer offered me much better financing than I could get elsewhere.

·
Registered
317 Posts
$1,800 is quite the discount i have to say, good savings to turn into accessories and then of course you can always pocket it.

But if you are getting accessories, what are you getting?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Does $38700 sound about right for invoice on 2015 tlx shawd? Should I keep searching?
I purchased a pricing report such as from a consumer magazine or the services mentioned above and in December '14 Dealer invoice was $40,064 for TLX SH-AWD Tech, noting a dealer holdback of $829 which comes to $39,235. This included $920 destination charge and included fees of $300 in the dealer invoice amount. The Advance SH-AWD model at the same time was $42,178 vs $39,235 for the SH-AWD Tech.

$39,235 - $920 Dest Charge -$300 Fees = $38,844 which is pretty close to your figure of $38,700 but you will need to pay the destination charge no matter what.

A car is a big investment, I would purchase an up to date pricing report for your region to have the most recent figures.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Informative Thread Alert

This is a very informative thread. Thanks contributors. :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
I second the recommendation of purchasing a new car price report for your region. It's only $15 and could save you quite a bit since you'll have something in writing to tell the dealer that you know the maximum amount a car is costing them. (chances are that they actually pay less as I believe they get money back from Acura based on the number of cars they sell)

I'll give more details on my new car price report and purchase:
I purchased the report in late November which stated that the dealer invoice for the Tech package was $34,118. Subtract from that $701 in dealer hold backs and the bottom line price on the report is $33,417. Knowing that dealers have to make a living I added 3% to this for their profit and expenses for a total of $34,419. This was the out the door price that I offered the dealer and told them how I came about the price, specifically mentioning that I was giving them 3% for profit and expenses. They accepted right away...which made me wonder if I should have offered less, but it was still less than MSRP. The actual breakdown of the amount on my sales contract is a follows:
Sales price: $34,010
Lien Fee (from my lender): $10
Documentation Fee: $399
Total: $34,419

I put $4,000 down ($,2,500 on my credit card to get the points!) and financed the $30,419 remaining @ 2.24%.

The dealer also gave me free wheel locks and color matching mud guards because I told them I didn't want the protection package 2 and they had accidentally installed it the day I went to pick up the car. I assume they removed the rubber trunk mat included in the protection package 2 as it was easier to remove than the wheel locks and mud guards. I also figured that the car would be delivered late so I had them throw in free 15% window tint all around as I had already made an appointment and had to cancel it due to the delay.

The price report states that a "good price" would have been $36,040 and that the estimated price would be $34,018 for the 4 cylinder tech model. The V6 SH-AWD tech for that time frame in my region was estimated at $37,928.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Oh, one last thing, I just noticed that the MSRP of the Tech model has gone up by $475 from when I bought mine in December. I'm assuming the other models have also gone up by similar amounts since last year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mr moo thank you for sharing your experience, i am trying to buy a car TLX I4 tech and wanted to know the price you mentioned 34419 is including taxes? In what area did you purshase the car?

·
Registered
110 Posts
A few more things to know about cross-shopping dealers -

- go to the dealer websites for several that are within say a hundred mile radius and look closely as they probably have incentives for potential customers that may be farther away. For example, they may offer free delivery, special discounts to lure you even if they aren't the closest Acura dealer to where you live. Also, you can simply call them and ask too but I have found enticements on their web pages.

-Anytime you visit an Acura or Honda dealer and they get your contact info, and then visit another different Acura or Honda dealer, you can pretty much count on each salesperson knowing that you have visited another dealer. This assumes you have given your contact info at each dealer. For example, if you visit an Acura dealer and give your contact info, then visit another and give your contact info, there is a good chance you will get a call from the first fishing for info on whether or not you were checking out other dealers. In order to do this, I think they use some common contacts database. It may not be the case in all areas, but I found it to be true in mine. I suspect that both Acura and Honda dealers are on the same contacts database.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks so much for all your help! I want the TLX shawd but not sure if figures going to work out....but Im determined to see if we can make it happen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If anyone can come up with a good out the door price of a 2015 TLX SHAWD Tech please please give me heads up......I would love to trade by end of month but trying to do my homework before hand. THanks for all help!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.