Acura TLX Forum banner

2015 TLX Neutral Shifter Button Broken

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Gonzo 
#1 · (Edited)
My wife has a 2015 TLX. This week she wanted to go to a car wash, but could not put the car into neutral. The neutral shifter button appears to have dropped. The car drives fine. Drive, Reverse, Park all function fine.

I read another forum post where it appeared that the culprit was a spill on/into the shifter which caused it to stick. This case does not seem like that. You can see in the picture that the neutral button is lower. When I push on it it moves a little. It feels more like the spring or switch below the button has failed/broken.

I would appreciate any suggestions of what the problem is, and/or what the fix is.

Thanks,

John

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. It can be scary when you cannot shift when you have had to in the past. The car wash is always a little anxious when you get to the end. You NEED to put your foot on the brake to shift out of N into D.
But you have a different situation. The button for N appears to be stuck DOWN. But it also seems that you are really not in N when it is pushed Down! I have a problem like that at work with the "3" button on my phone, it's a little sticky when I push it. I really need to leave my desk when I eat!!
You are right to think that the button may have experienced a little spill. The Owner's manual warns against spilling liquids inside (p 470):
Do not spill liquids inside the vehicle.
Electrical devices and systems may malfunction if liquids are splashed on them.
But it does not give any help on correcting it. How about compressed air?
There are others on the forum who may have some tips or countermeasures.
Let us know what you find out.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum. It can be scary when you cannot shift when you have had to in the past. The car wash is always a little anxious when you get to the end. You NEED to put your foot on the brake to shift out of N into D.
But you have a different situation. The button for N appears to be stuck DOWN. But it also seems that you are really not in N when it is pushed Down! I have a probelm like that at work with the "3" button on my phone, it's a little sticky when I push it. I really need to leave my desk when I eat!!
You are right to think that the button may have experienced a little spill. The Owner's manual warns against spilling liquids inside (p 470):

But it does not give any help on correcting it. How about compressed air?
There are others on the forum who may have some tips or countermeasures.
Let us know what you find out.
you are correct - it is definitely not in neutral because the car properly shifts into P, D, R all the while with the N in the position in the picture.

I am pretty certain that it's not stuck from a spill. I doesn't feel like that. Feels much more like the "toggle" switch below the N button has broken.

#4 ·
#5 ·
I believe there was a post where someone took their console apart. That may let you know what you’d be getting in to.

Edit: This is the post I was referring to.

#7 ·
If the button is broke, it probably broke in the OFF or not N position.
Try some chewing gum to stick to the top of the button and see if it will pull up (just like the vacuum could). You may find that it is caught on something that is preventing it from "unclicking" up!

Reactions: andre12dbsi
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.