Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Both of these are great cars. And, obviously, under the skin there are some common elements to the Accord and the TLX. The question here is: is it "worth it" to move up to a base TLX from 4 cylinder Accord? From my subjective pov, it is worth it for 2015.

The Accord EXL 4 has an msrp of 28,420, while the TLX base 4 has an msrp of 31,445. In other words, the difference is only about 3k. And for that the upgrade from the Accord is pretty big.

First, for me, and perhaps it sounds shallow, is styling. The Accord is a very nice looking car imho, but the TLX is beautiful. It's clearly a matter of taste, but I think the TLX might be the most elegant and yet "sexy" sedan of its size for sale right now. I think it has great lines and details from every angle. And, the Accord, while attractive, is seen everywhere. The TLX is obviously something quite a bit more rare, and therefore interesting. It's challenging to put a price tag on such a thing, but at this moment the looks alone are worth at least a grand to me.

And then there's the interior. Again, the Accord is quite nice, but the seats, controls, interior trim, carpets, door handles, instruments, etc. all just seem significantly better on the TLX. But, I have to admit, I haven't actually been in one yet lol. I did see one parked on the street and took a look inside, however, and I've also looked at a lot of pix and videos online. Again, very subjectively, the interior is worth about a grand to me too.

Then, again subjectively, the TLX has a 206 hp engine (vs. 185 for Accord), which might be valued at c. $400 or so, better tires and wheels ($400 again), PAWS $400, the 8-speed DCT with paddle shifters vs. the CVT ($800), longer warranty ($400), etc., etc.

You see where this is going. To me, very subjectively, the base TLX is definitely worth it over the Accord EXL.

But I've got at least two problems. First, I need to convince my wife. Second, I've got navi on my current car, a 2008 Accord EXL, and I really like it. But moving up to that on the TLX is maybe a bridge too far....

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
But I've got at least two problems. First, I need to convince my wife. Second, I've got navi on my current car, a 2008 Accord EXL, and I really like it. But moving up to that on the TLX is maybe a bridge too far....
I don't have the first problem. :)

When I was considering buying my TLX, I thought the difference between Tech and Base was too far. I thought about going with the base, but was afraid I would regret it and want more later. As a gadget guy, I am glad I spent the extra and got tech. I did hold off on going V6 and advance.

But then on the other hand, many people are happy with their base TLXs.

Maybe a visit to the showroom and a test drive can help.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Do not drive the TLX unless you are prepared to buy it.

I have had a 2013, 2014 and two 2015 Accord EX-L'S and there is no comparison.

The TLX took me a week or two to get used to after the Accords. But if you swing it get the TLX.

Even in base form it is worth the premium over the Accord.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Do not drive the TLX unless you are prepared to buy it.

I have had a 2013, 2014 and two 2015 Accord EX-L'S and there is no comparison.

The TLX took me a week or two to get used to after the Accords. But if you swing it get the TLX.

Even in base form it is worth the premium over the Accord.
Thanks for thoughts. Since you previously owned Accords, I'd be interested in hearing about the things that especially stand out for you as better about the TLX each time you drive it....

For instance, how is the seat comfort compared to the Accord? The Accord's seats are quite comfy, but those TLX seats look really luxe.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I love the seats in the TLX especially with the cooling venting for the boys. The Q50 didn't offer that in any trim level does the Accord?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Both of these are great cars. And, obviously, under the skin there are some common elements to the Accord and the TLX. The question here is: is it "worth it" to move up to a base TLX from 4 cylinder Accord? From my subjective pov, it is worth it for 2015.

The Accord EXL 4 has an msrp of 28,420, while the TLX base 4 has an msrp of 31,445. In other words, the difference is only about 3k. And for that the upgrade from the Accord is pretty big.

First, for me, and perhaps it sounds shallow, is styling. The Accord is a very nice looking car imho, but the TLX is beautiful. It's clearly a matter of taste, but I think the TLX might be the most elegant and yet "sexy" sedan of its size for sale right now. I think it has great lines and details from every angle. And, the Accord, while attractive, is seen everywhere. The TLX is obviously something quite a bit more rare, and therefore interesting. It's challenging to put a price tag on such a thing, but at this moment the looks alone are worth at least a grand to me.

And then there's the interior. Again, the Accord is quite nice, but the seats, controls, interior trim, carpets, door handles, instruments, etc. all just seem significantly better on the TLX. But, I have to admit, I haven't actually been in one yet lol. I did see one parked on the street and took a look inside, however, and I've also looked at a lot of pix and videos online. Again, very subjectively, the interior is worth about a grand to me too.

Then, again subjectively, the TLX has a 206 hp engine (vs. 185 for Accord), which might be valued at c. $400 or so, better tires and wheels ($400 again), PAWS $400, the 8-speed DCT with paddle shifters vs. the CVT ($800), longer warranty ($400), etc., etc.

You see where this is going. To me, very subjectively, the base TLX is definitely worth it over the Accord EXL.

Today you can buy a 2.4 TLX with Tech Package for 32,500....this will be 4k more than the Accord, but plenty of equipment. Go to the dealer, drive the car and start some talks...

Good Luck

Fred

·
Registered
78 Posts
I currently drive a 2009 Honda Civic. I convinced my wife that the TLX will be our next car simply by taking her to the 2015 New York Auto Show and we sat down in a TLX. Once she saw the high quality of the car, she was convinced that it will be our next car (she originally wanted the new Nissan Rogue).

OP, what you might have to do is just test drive a new fully-loaded Accord and TLX 2.4 with Tech, and you will obviously be blown away by the TLX and will want to buy one the same day.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Years back I was debating between a 99 Acura CL and an Accord. Once I drove the Acura the Honda was done and we've owned Acuras ever since. One of the extra pieces in decision, well, something that helped me rationalize at the time but saved me a fortune when the transmission died and Acura replaced it shortly after the warrantee period (yes, AFTER the period), was the fact that the Acuras have longer warrantees across the board than their Honda counterparts. Acura also tends to treat you with a little more, well, luxury.

Accord (2015)
3-Year/36,000-Mile New-Vehicle Limited Warranty.
5-Year/60,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty:
3/36k roadside assistance

TLX (2015)
4-year/50,000-mile limited warranty
6-year/70,000-mile limited warranty - Powertrain
4-year/50,000-mile Roadside

·
Registered
110 Posts

I've driven both and have TLX AWD V6 Tech.

Comparing TLX base to Accord EX-L

Seats - comfort same, TLX material slightly better
Transmission - As a preference, I would take DCT transmission (TLX) over CVT any day

Interior trim - little better on TLX, both are fairly plasticky

Styling - the best way to think of TLX is what you would have when you take the Accord 2 door coupe and make it a 4 door. The roofline is one of the things that looks most different from the Accord 4 door sedan.

Featurewise, I think Accord EX-L has merit since you don't get the safety suite in TLX until you step up to Tech level. Things like blind spot, lane-keeping, cross-traffic. Accord has the driver's side camera in EX-L trim for blind spot. Acura's method with sensors and indicators on both sides in the Tech trim is much better, but not offered in the base TLX.

Overall value - Accord EX-L Navi

Prestige and style - TLX

My advice - take your wife to test drive both.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank, folks, for all your helpful points.

In terms of the suggestion that I take my wife with me, however, she actually loathes even stepping foot into a car dealership. Just a pet peeve of hers. And so for all the cars we've bought in 25 years together, I've been the main (or only) person doing it.

What gets tricky about all this for me is when you factor in the improvements to the 2016 Accord, which on the EX model and above includes CarPlay/Android Auto (which can replace navi, iirc), HD radio, split folding seat, remote engine start, xm, etc. We have yet to find out for sure if there are any changes for the 2016 TLX—although Motor Trend recently said no changes of note.

But is built in Navi better than "phone" navi? Probably there are pros and cons. But I don't really know what they are.

The other thing is that because of Honda quality there's really nothing wrong with my 2008 Accord EXL navi. The tires and brake pads have been replaced, and it only has 73k miles, and so I might go another year with it. The extended HondaCare warranty I got for it expires Jan. 3rd of 2016, but right now I'm feeling ok about driving past that—at least for a little while.

If I go TLX, I'm leaning toward the Tech level. I like music, and the ELS music system sounds really, really sweet. That's one of several things that aren't available on any Accord.

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
I too compared both, but when I took the TLX out for a ride, there was no looking back.

...In terms of the suggestion that I take my wife with me, however, she actually loathes even stepping foot into a car dealership. Just a pet peeve of hers. And so for all the cars we've bought in 25 years together, I've been the main (or only) person doing it. ...
One thing you could ask at the dealer is to take the (extended) test drive alone (without the sales-person) and get the vehicle home. Then your wife might have an easier time helping you in the decision. I did that with my TLX V6 Advance. This is the ONLY time that my wife has driven "our" TLX (when we didn't own it)!

The timing is good for you regarding a 2015 of both the Accord and TLX. Unfortunately, if you can afford to wait, the 2016 Accord will soon find its way to dealerships around the country. There are no more 2015 Accords being made, whereas the 2016 TLX has not made it to mass production. So you could compare the 2016 Accord to the 2015 TLX, but you won't get as good as a deal on the new 2016 Accord as you will on either a 2015 Accord or TLX.

Reactions: benjaminh

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I prefer the TLX interior.... what does interest me is the Garmin NAV and the Android OS... that is interesting. CVT in the 4 cyl.. I'm a big fan of the CVT but I must say thus far I don't regret not having it compared to the 9 speed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i know i'm a little late to the game on this topic but i'll put my .2 cents in. we are trading our 13 accord ex-l navi 4 cylinder cvt in for a 15 tlx sh-awd tech. when we bought the accord we traded our 07 tl type-s in on it. we bought that one new and wanted to keep it but at the time we were tired of paying for premium, it was pricey then. anyways the accord is a great car and is 80% a tlx in most aspects. i enjoyed the steering, the interior quality and ride quality. even the cvt is pretty darned good compared to other brands cvts(like nissan yuk!) after driving the tlx the first thing that i noticed was how much road noise is absent compared to the accord. acura did a great job in with this. both are great cars with honda quality!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts