Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this forum, so I’m hoping someone with some experience can help me out a bit

In December 2019 I bought a 2015 TLX Elite AWD from my local Acura dealership (I used to work for the AutoGroup that owns this dealer). I also purchased the 7yr/130xxx km extended warranty from Honda Canada. The car is fully paid off. This past week something unexpected happened while driving home.

The engine light came on halfway through my drive home, however it wasn’t solid, it was flashing. I could tell it was a misfire, because the car was rough idling and It was struggling to accelerate as well. When I got home and scanned it, the code was P0305.

The next day, I took it to the dealership for a diagnostic. The service manager told me that the issue was related to the “short block” and that they were opening a case with Honda Canada.

Has anyone ever dealt with the P0305 engine code? If so, what was the solution? I know of course it varies depending on what triggered the misfire, but any information would help. Everything is covered under the warranty, but I’m concerned about the longevity of the motor and how reliable it will be for the next few years. The service team has not been very transparent with me, and I’ve yet to see the written report (it’s been 4 days since they’ve had the car). They also did the oil change for me last week. Me being the conspiracy theorist that I am, I have a hunch that maybe the dealership may have done something that may have triggered the issue (knowing because of COVID business is slow, and the repairs would be covered by Honda Canada anyways). Not saying they did it, but it’s something to consider.

Any info helps! And yes I will contact the service manager again. This is my 3rd car in the Honda/Acura family, and this one has given me more problems than any of the ones before it (EJ6 and Fg2)

·
Super Moderator
781 Posts
The P0305 is a specific code for cylinder #5. Whereas P0304 is for cylinder #4 and P0303 if for cylinder #3, etc. etc. This is an important code meaning something in cylinder #5 is a problem. Do not drive the vehicle too much when this code pops up. You could damage the catalytic converter among other parts.

I would ask you:
Do you drive the vehicle like a race car or old woman? Since you just purchased this vehicle about 8 months ago, I guess you really don't know the full history.
Has the spark plugs been changed ever or very recently?
It could also be a bad fuel injector, bent valve, bad piston rings, intake manifold leak, etc. etc. But most likely a bad spark plug at number 5 cylinder. If it were my vehicle, I would pull the number #5 spark plug. Examine it and then probably replace it with new to see what happens.
Otherwise, probably about time to take it into the dealer to get checked out.

And yes, dealerships often "Create" work on vehicles that are covered under warranty when things are slow in the shop. Warranty doesn't pay the best but it is still better than nothing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The P0305 is a specific code for cylinder #5. Whereas P0304 is for cylinder #4 and P0303 if for cylinder #3, etc. etc. This is an important code meaning something in cylinder #5 is a problem. Do not drive the vehicle too much when this code pops up. You could damage the catalytic converter among other parts.

I would ask you:
Do you drive the vehicle like a race car or old woman? Since you just purchased this vehicle about 8 months ago, I guess you really don't know the full history.
Has the spark plugs been changed ever or very recently?
It could also be a bad fuel injector, bent valve, bad piston rings, intake manifold leak, etc. etc. But most likely a bad spark plug at number 5 cylinder. If it were my vehicle, I would pull the number #5 spark plug. Examine it and then probably replace it with new to see what happens.
Otherwise, probably about time to take it into the dealer to get checked out.

And yes, dealerships often "Create" work on vehicles that are covered under warranty when things are slow in the shop. Warranty doesn't pay the best but it is still better than nothing.
Thanks for your response!

Recently I’ve been driving pretty hard (Sport+ and paddle shifters lol)

it’s quite possible my intense driving could’ve caused the problem. I believe the spark plugs haven’t been changed yet. The car has around 860000 Km (53400 miles roughly)

I’ve asked the service manager to send me the technicians written report. They emailed me a report on Wednesday, but now the link is no longer available. Pretty weird in my opinion. I will definitely ask to see the condition of the spark plugs with my own eyes as well as the compression test results etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts