Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the pictures I saw of the TLX, I wanted a rear spoiler,but when I really looked at it in the dealership showroom, I immediately tookit off my option list. It really is not a spoiler in the sense of what aspoiler is. It is basically a rear deck paperweight. Air cannot travel underit, which defeats the whole idea of what a spoiler is. In actuality, it willcause a MPG loss for two reasons:

1) The added weight

2) You now have about a 1.5 inch x 60” or so, windstop on your deck

Beside the purely cosmetic and total non-functionality of arear deck spoiler, why would anyone have this put on their car?

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I got mine for purely cosmetic reasons. The same reason why a lot of people get the aero package. I doubt either will provide enough difference in the way air travels around the car to make a difference performance wise especially in the city where the majority of my driving is done. . It adds to the look of the car and that's pretty much it. It's plastic so I don't think it adds too much weight.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Purely cosmetic. The bigger and heavier 18" and 19" wheels and tires would be more detrimental to the aerodynamics then a little lip spoiler.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would also suggest that a true spoiler would add more drag? Its an inverted wing, the downforce energy has to be extracted from the energy of the horizontal airflow...

For myself it was cosmetic. I found the plain trunk deck not too appealing. Had one on my TL Type S as well, it finishes the rear end.

IMHO as always!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Always a personal decision when choosing to add something like this.

It truly is only intended as a cosmetic add-on. I decided for it to make the trunk look less plain. I like the very simple form fitting design. And it weighs something like 1-2 lbs. I doubt it will make a noticeable different in MPG

·
Registered
47 Posts
Weight

Hi,

With the shitty roads we have (can I say that here), the added weight of the tires make the potholes almost disappear. The A4 seemed light on the road compared to the V6.

The demo I had had all the trimmings, but didn't impress me, they look "glued" on.

Hunter

·
Registered
251 Posts
The added weight isn't really that much unless you are trying to shave seconds off some lap time. It is mostly just a cosmetic thing though. Think of it this way: its not about making your car go fast, its about making your car look fast.

·
Registered
35 Posts
for my opinion, i do prefer decklid spoiler than full wing for cosmetic reasons.

and anyway i really doubt that one day i have to ''use'' it, as it wont really add any downforce if im following speed limits (100 km/h)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts