Acura TLX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner of 2015 Acura TLX Tech package as of Friday 10/31, guess the trick was on me as it was Halloween. Returned 2 days later with transmission issues that have yet to be resolved. Dealer is working with me to resolve but not interested in a car with less than 50 miles having a rebuilt transmission.

Anyone else experiencing issues?

Concerned.....

·
Registered
317 Posts
Depends. If you are talking about 8 speed DCT there is plenty of material on the forum to get familiar with as there are quite a few of us that have been experiencing "issues" with this tranny, mainly related to surges in switching in lower gears and delay in engaging gears when shifting from R to D or vise versa.

I don't recall any posts complaining about the 9 speed tranny that comes with the V6 FWD/AWD models.

What was/is your issue ?

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome!

New owner of 2015 Acura TLX Tech package as of Friday 10/31, guess the trick was on me as it was Halloween. Returned 2 days later with transmission issues that have yet to be resolved. Dealer is working with me to resolve but not interested in a car with less than 50 miles having a rebuilt transmission.

Anyone else experiencing issues?

Concerned.....
Welcome to the Forum! I see this is your first post.

Venture through the forum or use search. You will find loads of transmission issues.

Luckily, I am not experiencing problems with my tranny, yet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If they determine that there is actually a tranny issue with this car, I'm sure they will be giving those affected a new tranny. When I had my 2000 TL, my tranny went in 2007 with about 120,000 km on it. I was given a rebuilt one because they were not producing them anymore. It only lasted 10,000 km and they gave me another rebuilt one which lasted until someone t-boned me. But they were very good about replacing it for free which is partly why I keep buying Acuras.

From my experience, I fully expect them to handle any issues like this properly. That's why I didn't hesitate to buy one in it's first year. Just my opinion, but I think everyone needs to be patient and give them a chance to figure out what the problem is. There is no point for them to rush out a fix only to find out that they overlooked something.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have about 2,000 miles on my I4 TLX and experience some of the trans issues you mention. It doesn't occur often enough to worry me and I've read some info telling me some of the issues are just part of the way the trans is supposed to work. There is actually intentional slippage built into the trans. You have to be careful because I've had the car surge a time or two and had to make sure my foot was firmly on the brake. I have noticed there is really quite a difference when selecting different modes. I prefer the Normal setting as Eco is too sluggish and Sport is a bit twitchy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Depends. If you are talking about 8 speed DCT there is plenty of material on the forum to get familiar with as there are quite a few of us that have been experiencing "issues" with this tranny, mainly related to surges in switching in lower gears and delay in engaging gears when shifting from R to D or vise versa.

I don't recall any posts complaining about the 9 speed tranny that comes with the V6 FWD/AWD models.

What was/is your issue ?
I am having the exacts same problems ... this is the fist DCT transmission built by Honda ... maybe the problem ... I'll call my dealer for sure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If they determine that there is actually a tranny issue with this car, I'm sure they will be giving those affected a new tranny.
You are correct in Acura will install a new transmission, mine was installed with 400 miles on the original. However, even after re-programming the transmission control unit on the new transmission they were still unable to stop the transmission from lurching and shifting harshly.

To the original poster, Acura does not have a fix for this issue, save yourself all the time and hassle and ask to get out of the contract. This is coming from someone who after 2 months of fighting, finally got out of my defective TLX. Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Heck no! Everything will be made whole, I.E. Like it never even happened.

Car shopping is proving to be fun, lots of Holiday Deals right now!

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's a hard question but the short term answer would be yes. Im looking at other manufacturers right now and have no intention of ever owning an Acura again. It makes me kinda sad because I LOVED every Acura I owned before. I owned two (98) (00) Integra GSR's and a (11) TSX.

Side note: Drove my loaner I4 TLX in the snow yesterday for the first time, did a fairly decent job, will most definitely get AWD with the next car I pick. Supposed to test drive some cars tomorrow but there is 8 inches of snow on the ground. : (

·
Registered
35 Posts
That is a sweet ride, hope you enjoy it ( saw your pic on the other post )

Got a Infinity Q50 AWD scheduled for tomorrow : ).

I apologize if we are not really staying on topic with this thread, not trying to devalue your issue with the transmission. I wish everyone the best that is experiencing issues and hopefully Acura can figure it out soon.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
That is a sweet ride, hope you enjoy it ( saw your pic on the other post )

Got a Infinity Q50 AWD scheduled for tomorrow : ).

I apologize if we are not really staying on topic with this thread, not trying to devalue your issue with the transmission. I wish everyone the best that is experiencing issues and hopefully Acura can figure it out soon.

Be sure to check out the Q50 forum if you haven't already (2014 Infiniti Q50 Forum). I initially looked at the Q50 when it first came out, but walked away from it quickly. Their InTouch system had a lot of freezing issues (it froze 3 times when I went on a test drive). All the issues it had at the time (about a year ago) were too much. They also incorporated "Direct Adaptive Steering" which is like drive-by-wire. Steering didn't feel right to me and there's no mechanical steering column...

So, I waited and saw the TLX was coming out and got that instead :)

Reactions: J233

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Be sure to check out the Q50 forum if you haven't already (2014 Infiniti Q50 Forum). I initially looked at the Q50 when it first came out, but walked away from it quickly. Their InTouch system had a lot of freezing issues (it froze 3 times when I went on a test drive). All the issues it had at the time (about a year ago) were too much. They also incorporated "Direct Adaptive Steering" which is like drive-by-wire. Steering didn't feel right to me and there's no mechanical steering column...

So, I waited and saw the TLX was coming out and got that instead :)
Welcome to the Forum! I see this is your first post.

Tell us more about what TLX you bought.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow just checked out the Q50 forum, for starters seems like people are taking things pretty personal and getting nasty with each other... So kudos to the fine people of this forum, keeping it classy!

Seems to be a number of issues with that car. I did read they finally have a hard update for that in-touch system (which seems to be everyone's main gripe) but I will definitely approach this car tomorrow carefully.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Wow just checked out the Q50 forum, for starters seems like people are taking things pretty personal and getting nasty with each other... So kudos to the fine people of this forum, keeping it classy!

Seems to be a number of issues with that car. I did read they finally have a hard update for that in-touch system (which seems to be everyone's main gripe) but I will definitely approach this car tomorrow carefully.
Good luck. Look forward to your review. Maybe post something in the TLX VS Competitors section? :)

Acura TLX Versus the Competition - Acura TLX Forum

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tranny issues

I have had my TLX I4 w/ tech package for 3 weeks and love the car except for the awful transmission. As some of the others have posted, mine is really jerky in the lower gears and very sluggish going from R to D. I took it in this past Wednesday and they checked it out only to find no error messages on the computer. I am beginning to think I bought the car version of Apollo 13!

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I have had my TLX I4 w/ tech package for 3 weeks and love the car except for the awful transmission. As some of the others have posted, mine is really jerky in the lower gears and very sluggish going from R to D. I took it in this past Wednesday and they checked it out only to find no error messages on the computer. I am beginning to think I bought the car version of Apollo 13!
Welcome to the Forum! I am sure you will find plenty of friendly members with transmission issues. It is unfortunate, but hopefully someone at Acura can get to the bottom of this issue.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.