Acura TLX Forum banner

Which engine are you getting?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TLX engine options have been confirmed! Which engine are you getting?

Engines:
  • 3.5L V6 Engine + 9-Speed Automatic Transmission
  • 2.4L Inline-4 Engine + 8-Speed Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Guess this is as good a place to ask as any... will both engines require premium?

I ponder this question more now since the last 11 years I've only ran my TSX on premium (as required) but wonder why this is still necessary?

With all the advancements in technology available and since other cars are able to achieve extreme compression ratios with regular fuel (Mazda) why aren't all brands doing away with premium fuel requirements?

The way I see it companies are quick to brag about their high fuel mileage numbers (which ironically are government mandated) as a way to entice ppl into buying which suggests everyone is interested in saving money and their cars are "economical" to own. But when you mandate premium fuel that sort of wipes out any fuel consumption savings.

I don't believe anyone will feel "cheated" that they only need to use regular grade fuel in a "premium" car...

·
Registered
8 Posts
You mean the 2014 model? I haven't looked into it but if they did that, at least they "saved" it, it always helps to have a coupe in manual.
Yep, it's still alive but wish they still offered the drivetrain in the sedan... sort of a poor man's BMW

·
Registered
17 Posts
I want the 4 cylinder but it will not be offered with the Advance package which I want more, plus living in the NW, probably a good idea to get SH-AWD which also is only available with the 6 cylinder. So I guess I will be getting the 6:rolleyes:

·
Registered
430 Posts
This really has had me baffled since Acavetti fist showed us TLX. I mean it makes next to no sense to exclude the sportier gearbox from the most powerful engine, and it makes even less sense to restrict AWD to the 6.

I mean I get the thought is locking AWD into the 6 will goose margins as people will be forced to upgrade, but all that does is force people to look elsewhere, not upgrade and spend their dollars with you...

Feck it, might just get a legacy, new one is prettttyyyyyyy

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
People spending their money elsewhere should scare Acura, that's the last thing they need people doing

·
Registered
17 Posts
People spending their money elsewhere should scare Acura, that's the last thing they need people doing
I am "considering" the Germans but my loyalty is with Honda/Acura for now. I so wish they would give us other options...4 cylinder w/SH AWD and Advance pkg. The 2016 RDX MMY update is rumored to be available with Advance package, should be an interesting next few years for Acura, make or break:confused:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am "considering" the Germans but my loyalty is with Honda/Acura for now. I so wish they would give us other options...4 cylinder w/SH AWD and Advance pkg. The 2016 RDX MMY update is rumored to be available with Advance package, should be an interesting next few years for Acura, make or break:confused:
Depending on what exactly you want in a car you may go the german route, what is it that you want in a car?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Depending on what exactly you want in a car you may go the german route, what is it that you want in a car?
All the things that come standard on the Acura Advance package, best MPG's in class (okay with 4 cylinder) and AWD. BMW, Audi and Lexus are in my consideration set in addition to Acura.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All the things that come standard on the Acura Advance package, best MPG's in class (okay with 4 cylinder) and AWD. BMW, Audi and Lexus are in my consideration set in addition to Acura.
I think Lexus is good to consider, the new ES is really nice and I think it competes with the TLX. A lot of new cars are out, you should check them out.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Pretty even split on our forum between the two engine options. I chose the 3.5l v6. I wanted the bigger engine and I also wanted to try out the 9 speed transmission.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pretty even split on our forum between the two engine options. I chose the 3.5l v6. I wanted the bigger engine and I also wanted to try out the 9 speed transmission.
It comes down to what you want and need, and thats where the divide is.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I voted for the 3.5L V6. If I am buying a luxury car like the TLX then I want the best version of it. With Acura I think it is more about the tech and performance than it is about the looks.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I want the 4 cylinder but I guess Acura has determined that I need the 6 to get SHawd and Advance package.:mad:
Not sure what it is but maybe the 4 cylinder isn't suitable with SH AWD in that platform, maybe it's better off in a smaller chassis like the ILX.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts