Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been Really Curious Which car was faster Ive thought the 2014 Acura TL SH-AWD With 3.7l V6 with 305 HP was faster than the 2015 Acura TLX with 3.5 V6 with 290 hp but according to automobile catalog with both full specifications the 2015 is faster is this true or is the 2014 faster. I hope the 2014 is faster because It has better styling on my opinion bte the 0-60 time on the TLX was 5.7 and for the TL was 6.2 but it doesnt make sense the only way this would be true is the weight I think weight has alot to deal with this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Honestly in a 4 door sedan with a 4cyl or 6 cal. who cares. If you want fast sedan, buy a new GSF or M5. Those are cars where it matters how fast, but the Acura is nothing more than a grocery getter.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've been Really Curious Which car was faster Ive thought the 2014 Acura TL SH-AWD With 3.7l V6 with 305 HP was faster than the 2015 Acura TLX with 3.5 V6 with 290 hp but according to automobile catalog with both full specifications the 2015 is faster is this true or is the 2014 faster. I hope the 2014 is faster because It has better styling on my opinion bte the 0-60 time on the TLX was 5.7 and for the TL was 6.2 but it doesnt make sense the only way this would be true is the weight I think weight has alot to deal with this.
You answered your own question in the last sentence. The TLX weighs less than the TL.

·
Registered
191 Posts
SinCityTSX, can you say anything nice about the TLX? Seems all three of your posts take a dump on the TLX >:D
Maybe regrets by doing the mistake of going with a Lexus where he would have a BMW... and missing the fact that Acura have both of the two worlds (... but in which way... >:D )

·
Registered
134 Posts
There is a minimal difference in weight (150lbs?) but I believe it has more to do with the transmission (9spd ZF vs 6AT). I did have a 2010 TL w/6mt which is definitely faster than the TLX (0-60 of 5.2 vs the TLX) so once again I would say that reflects more with the transmission than anything else. Still, neither is meant to a true sports car but rather a good blend of luxury reliability with some performance thrown in and nobody would compare it to an M5. The GS, well that's definitely in its wheel house because the F-Sport is really just window dressing on a GS with better suspension but who's AWD does not compare well with the SH-AWD. While the GS is no slouch overall its not a sports car either and is more adept at fetching groceries too. Performance wise its close to the TLX but for some reason the roll-on 5-60 the GS350 F-Sport AWD is almost a half second slower which again speaks to the gearing set up.

SinCityTSX, I know you referenced the GS-F but as it is not on the market yet I can't in good faith compare it to anything currently in the market (hence the GS-F sport. Reviews thus far OK yes I can see you mentioned it in the same breath as the M5 but I think that is still a stretch for Lexus. Time will tell.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Honestly in a 4 door sedan with a 4cyl or 6 cal. who cares. If you want fast sedan, buy a new GSF or M5. Those are cars where it matters how fast, but the Acura is nothing more than a grocery getter.
I don't take my TLX to get groceries, too many shopping carts. I let all the BMW's and Mercedes get the door dings while my TLX looks stylish parked at the golf course a quarter mile from everyone. ;)

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
usually folks that have some concern or issue to point at have valid reason and justification for it
You are too kind.

Differing opinions are definitely welcome. The point I was trying to emphasize is that some people stop by to take a dump and dirty the towels. You won't see them for a week or so and then they repeat the dump process each following week.

I could see spreading some unfavorable opinions, but some day it would be nice to hear at least one good remark to show some balance. If you totally don't like the TLX, why post here? It could be me. :)

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Don't know why others knock the looks for the TL.... I liked it myself... a little attitude but still some Honda shinning through.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I always thought the TL had a very nice aggressive presence on the road. Overall the car looked great, it just had a bit too much of a grill and some odd choices of the trim and chrome. Acura has received a lot of flack the past few years over it esthetics, but the TLX has certainly toned it down.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Liking something is a very person preference, e.g,. I like most of the Acura models but not the external looks of the 4G, and the 1G RDX. But once you are inside it is a completely different feeling and quite enjoyable. Much like so many other things in life.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I always thought the TL had a very nice aggressive presence on the road. Overall the car looked great, it just had a bit too much of a grill and some odd choices of the trim and chrome. Acura has received a lot of flack the past few years over it esthetics, but the TLX has certainly toned it down.
I agree - and have both the '13 TL SH-AWD and the '15 TLX SH-AWD -both have the tech package. TL appearance is in the eye of the beholder but I find it more aggressive compared to TLX.

TL feels faster, but lacks low end with the 6AT. As said by another, the 6MT TL is significantly faster than TLX. TLX is less powerful but the 9AT has more low end due to the spacing and speed of the first 3 gear changes. So TLX, may be 1/2 second faster 0-60. In actual driving, TL 3.7 seems far better for highway passing.

The other day, my daughter was driving the TLX and I was in front in the TL. When I looked in the rear view mirror, I never noticed before how "not-sporty" the TLX looks. (too much ground clearance, smaller tires I think) I'm turning in my beloved TL in a few days on a new MDX SH-AWD Advance. Not counting the RLX which didn't really interest me, I had to step up to the MDX Advance to get the same leather that the TL Tech has and to get the same build quality e.g. how the doors sound when you close them. To be fair, I haven't tried a TLX Advance but I think the 4th Gen TL was the benchmark for how the driver's seat should be - MDX is a close second.

TLX has it's points - the transmission is quicker to shift (rough 2nd to 3rd though for me). Maybe a little quicker 0-60. Has better handling when equipped with good tires, and gets better gas mileage and has more safety features.

TL has probably the best V6 engine ever made by Honda - highly over-engineered, has a better audio system, better build quality and value proposition, better engine sound, and those wonderful seats.

I'd like to find one of few TL SH-AWD MT's made in the last year of production - that will be my project next year I think.

I've driven Honda products like the Accord and CRV as work-comped vehicles for years. I can't say that I ever felt that TL ever reminded of the Accord in any way. TLX, however, is a little too much like an Accord with SH-AWD. It's in the first year, so maybe it can evolve a little more.

·
Registered
148 Posts
A lot of factors go into velocity(miles/hour) and acceleration (miles/hour/hour). You also have power/weight ratios, transmission ratios, trans axle gearing, tire grip, front/rear traction allotment,...

Just too many variables for a static comparison! You need to get both vehicles on a track!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Well if the "automobile catalog" claims it, the numbers must be true.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We have both a 14 TL FWD and now a 15 TLX AWD. The TLX is still in break in period at 1100 miles so I can't give a good apples SOP (seat of the pants) evaluation, however I will say that her TL definitely seems "spunkier" than my TLX. The TL seems more torquey AND more willing to rev out, and with the 6 speed more pronounced though good shifting. On the paddles up in the revs it's a hoot! The TL does have an occasional odd "bungee cord" 2-3 shift now and again. Oddly and at the risk of jinxing myself, my XF 9 spd shifts great, every time and every where, so far... Despite not being as peppy feeling, the SH AWD connectivity does make me feel that on the twisties, the TLX would prevail for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts