Acura TLX Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
651 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your detailed assessment with your first post! I've got the 2.4L model also and feel like it's got plenty of get up and go, especially in Sport mode.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This is a post that the V6 owners aren't going to fully agree. Does the 4th cylinder have enough power for everyday driving? Sure! So does a Chevy Aveo. I see little 4 cylinders on the highway every day doing 80- 85 mph which any car could do today without too much problem. It's when you're off the line or in fifth or sixth gear and those extra ponies make a big difference with the power if you really want to have a little fun. If you need a daily driver the four cylinders great, the six cylinders great too. It's all what you want, what you want to spend, and can spend. I had the 4-cylinder TSX's and always wanted more. The V6 Honda engine is not a muscle car engine by any means. You could either just leave the brand and go to something more sporty and more muscle and that's a different league. Those cars are not going to ride as nice as a TLX. However, the Honda V6 is a great engine and could hang up there with just about most cars on the road at highway speed and also off the line., but it's not a muscle car or comparing to even other German imports like the BMW 7 series or 5 series those cars will smoke the Honda V6. I don't find myself drag racing off the line with this car. It's all what you feel comfortable with. Sometimes posts are made to get a feeling of reassurance that what you bought was adequate enough. It's all about what you feel comfortable with and if you're enjoying the car great, if you aren't too happy with it then maybe look at something else. Overall these are great cars whether you get the 4 cylinder or 6. Let see what the 2021 model looks for final production. I bet every TLX fan is excited about that.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I've driven both and obviously I went wit the V6.... to me I found the 2.4 lacking the umph I wanted. No right or wrong here... but I'm totaly happy with the V6, never field it too heavy and esp on the highway it moves most satisfactory. I personally don't enjoy needing 5000 RPM to feel the speed but I will say when the V6 jumps in RPMS you felt it for sure and this engine in so smooth an quiet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've driven both and obviously I went wit the V6.... to me I found the 2.4 lacking the umph I wanted. No right or wrong here... but I'm totaly happy with the V6, never field it too heavy and esp on the highway it moves most satisfactory. I personally don't enjoy needing 5000 RPM to feel the speed but I will say when the V6 jumps in RPMS you felt it for sure and this engine in so smooth an quiet.
Yeah it's buttery smooth. Honda has perfected the J35 V6. They've been making it for many years now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was in the market for a new car as interest rates were like 2 or 3% from the dealer. Could only afford 30k at the most, looked at Lexus, Mazda, Honda. Accord sport was 26k, Mazda 6 was more than 30k, Lexus is250 was over 30k. Wanted a mid size sedan and tlx was the most affordable so ended up with a base tlx for 31k otd. After owning the 2.4 i4 for 4 years, 40k miles, I am impressed that it continues to feel faster and faster. I've redlined this motor at least 3000 times and it didn't feel broken in until 30k miles. I've done spark plugs and transmission fluid in addition to oil/filters, always Honda oem. Transmission shifts very fast in sport+, only mods are intake and the sprint booster. If I had to do it again id probably gone for a used is350. Brakes are terrible though but for being such a heavy fwd car I'm impressed with the handling, do wish it had more power.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts