Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a transmission question, this is an overall driving experience question.

I've been in the market for a TLX (or even a '14 TL) for quite some time. But, I've been biding my time. Well, it's now come to a point where I need to make a decision sooner rather than later. I've been mostly looking at pre-owned TLXs hoping to get more features at the price point as a used car then buying new. Like maybe being able to get a 3.5 instead of a 2.4, maybe even be able to get SH-AWD (tech package is a must for any car). So, since my need for a newer car became a priority, I decided to test drive a new '17 as the dealers were trying to unload them. I drove a 2.4 and it just didn't seem to have the umph I was looking for. It's not like I'm a speed demon, but for passing and getting on the highway, I want it to go when I press the pedal. My current car is an '06 Accord EX with 6 cyl. so it's not like I'm used to a ton of power. But, it will get up and go enough when it has to. So, my question to those of you that have the 2.4... do you regret not getting the bigger engine? Are you happy with the 2.4? Would you get it again if you had to do all over again?
I know you can put in different modes, but even in sport mode it just didn't "go". I have driven both the 2.4 and the 3.5, just not in one visit to the dealer. I know someone will say, "you just need to drive them both and see for yourself". Well, I will drive them both and I will make up my mind based on that, but I'd still like to hear other people's opinions on the subject since, as current TLX owners, you have more experience with the car than I. Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, I would do it again! And my last car was a 2014 TL Tech. I used to spin out all the time coming out of a stop esp if roads were wet but sometimes even if they weren't wet. I think a car with that much HP needs AWD/SHAWD. Or a light foot after a red light ;)

I actually CHOSE the 2.4 over the 3.5 this time. I've had no issues with delayed throttle or anything. Passing is fine. Merging is not going to be quite as good as a V6 but I have not had any concern with getting rear ended or anything bc the car doesn't pick up enough. If anything, the opposite and I have to apply brake but that's prob more bc of damned Miami traffic than the car :)

I would def get the 2.4 again but I know many who won't touch a 4 cyl car.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My 2016 V6 AWS Tech TLX is a bit faster than my 2008 TL. I drove a loaner 2016 base 2.4 and didn't like it, as it felt under-powered. And yes, I would buy another Acura- but not for a long while, mine is only 14 months old.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is not a transmission question, this is an overall driving experience question.

I've been in the market for a TLX (or even a '14 TL) for quite some time. But, I've been biding my time. Well, it's now come to a point where I need to make a decision sooner rather than later. I've been mostly looking at pre-owned TLXs hoping to get more features at the price point as a used car then buying new. Like maybe being able to get a 3.5 instead of a 2.4, maybe even be able to get SH-AWD (tech package is a must for any car). So, since my need for a newer car became a priority, I decided to test drive a new '17 as the dealers were trying to unload them. I drove a 2.4 and it just didn't seem to have the umph I was looking for. It's not like I'm a speed demon, but for passing and getting on the highway, I want it to go when I press the pedal. My current car is an '06 Accord EX with 6 cyl. so it's not like I'm used to a ton of power. But, it will get up and go enough when it has to. So, my question to those of you that have the 2.4... do you regret not getting the bigger engine? Are you happy with the 2.4? Would you get it again if you had to do all over again?

I know you can put in different modes, but even in sport mode it just didn't "go". I have driven both the 2.4 and the 3.5, just not in one visit to the dealer. I know someone will say, "you just need to drive them both and see for yourself". Well, I will drive them both and I will make up my mind based on that, but I'd still like to hear other people's opinions on the subject since, as current TLX owners, you have more experience with the car than I. Thanks!

Honestly, it doesn't matter what other people think. Every person perceives things slightly different. If you noticed it on the test drive, you'll notice the same thing every day you own the car. I was like you, the I4 just didn't do it for me on the test drive. I got the v6 and I'm so glad I did. Make sure you test drive a v6 too, it might be something else that's making you feel that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts

Hey dude - I really enjoyed the peppy nature of the 2.4 - I really loved how quick it snapped off gear changes. However, I chose the V6 because it sounds better, feels more refined, and feels more premium as a result of the refinement. I drove two 9th gen Accords with V6 engines for a few years, and spent the last 18 months in a 4-cylinder version. With that being said, I loved how the steering on the 4 felt compared to the 6, but for what I use a car for, the V6 was the car for me. Same is true for the TLX.

As someone mentioned, if you got a feeling from the car that wasn't desirable, that's probably a sign to get something else. And at the end of the day, you should get what you like. Especially if you're gonna spend the next 4-5 years paying for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
My last Acura was a 2000 TL V6 and I put 234,400 miles on it. Best car I ever owned. Made me want to buy another Acura.

Bought a 2016 TLX 2.4 with Tech package back in September 2016 and am perfectly happy about it. Love the 8-spd DCT, the TLX handles well, does everything I want and I've got 13,600 miles on it. I've never felt the need for more power than I have and have never felt that I had to add to/modify the car in any way to get what I wanted.

Try/drive them both: only you will know what's best for you.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I had a '15 3.5 Tech and I have a '18 3.5 A-Spec now. The SH-AWD is a great handling car with the proper tires, even more so with the A-Spec suspension. They have almost 300hp and are decently quick compared to most cars on the road. Ive had a 2.4 for a few days as a loaner. The PAWS handles great, very tossable and light on its feet. The DCT shifts great too, but dont expect an AUTO experience, as it shifts more like a MT. BUT, having driven a 3.5 on a regular basis, the 2.4 feels underpowered and lethargic. I think if you are used to something with some power, the 2.4 might leave you disappointed. Its still a great car, just not my cup of tea. That being said, BMWs base 3-series only has 180hp, so a 2.4 TLX aint bad at all.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I4 for sure and im not saying that because i have one. the car is so much lighter and agile against the v6. not to say that a v6 sh-awd isn't fun, but the 2.4 is great.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
To each their own... love the V6 and the extra 84 horses certainly make up for any weight difference. Test drive both and make the call yourself... ask 100 people and you will get 100 opinions on this one :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
To each their own... love the V6 and the extra 84 horses certainly make up for any weight difference. Test drive both and make the call yourself... ask 100 people and you will get 100 opinions on this one :)
I'm fairly certain the 4 cylinder will be be faster and handle tighter at a small, tight track or autocross.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input. Exactly what I was looking for. I know everyone has their own likes and dislikes for each drive train. And I will inevitably make the decision, but it's nice to hear other's people's reasons on why they like the 2.4 vs the 3.5 or vice versa. Sometimes you bring things up that I didn't think of having only a couple test drives, such as the PAWS comment (PAWS just seems like an after thought to me) and the "luxury cruiser" comment make me think as well. All great input guys. Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I cant speak to the experience of driving the 2.4 but i did just (2 weeks ago) buy a lightly used '16 3.5 sh-awd tech and it drives great! Its not super quick off the line, it feels like it needs to pick up speed gradually. The 3.5 and extra hp does come in handy when merging and overtaking on the highway, you can feel the difference compared to any 4 cyl car. I went with the 3.5 because of value. When comparing prices of used 2.4 and 3.5 cars, the 3.5 sh-awd tech that i found was only a few thousand more compared to a 2.4 tech. The added value of a 3.5 and the sh-awd was a no brainer!

Edit:
I would definitely look into getting a lightly used car over a brand new one. Many of the original TLX's are coming off lease and on top of that the new '18 refresh just came out. Both those reason should lead to competitive pricing on all used TLXs

·
Registered
43 Posts
I test drove all the TLX variants before I decided on the base V6. For one, they discounted mine by over 10K (it was new). I didn't feel like I needed the tech package, as the only thing that was of interest to me was the blind spot monitoring system, and I'm over that now. The ADV package I actually disliked, mainly due to the engine start/stop feature (that can't be permanently defeated) - plus, that car did feel heavier.
Like others have echoed, the v6 feels much smoother and more refined than the 4cly. I had a really hard time ignoring the steering wheel vibration at idle with the 4cly...

Sure, the 4cyl is a bit lighter on its feet than the base v6 (93lbs), and is a bit more agile because of that - but the power of the V6 (for me) more than makes up for it. The V6 sounds fantastic and will put a smile on your face every time you open up the throttle. I just hit 10,000 miles on mine, and I'm not sure why I haven't noticed it before (maybe the car has to hit a certain amount of miles first?), but I can now hear (and certainly FEEL) the VTEC kick in at 5,300rpm. It just feels like a totally different car than the 4cyl.

You basically have to choose which you think you will value more over the course of ownership; lots more torque/power, or a bit more agile handling.

One thing ALL TLX owners should get is a SprintBooster though. I'm not an employee or paid by them in any way - but the little device works wonders on this vehicle. Power delivery is so much more responsive now - I could never go back to stock.

Good luck in your decision!

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I'll chime in here. While my 18 3.5 Elite was in for a recent service, I had an 18 2.4 Tech as a loaner.

I think my biggest complaint from coming from a 3.5 is how much louder and rougher the powertrain in the 2.4 is. The 3.5 is so smooth and quiet compared to the 2.4.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'll chime in here. While my 18 3.5 Elite was in for a recent service, I had an 18 2.4 Tech as a loaner.

I think my biggest complaint from coming from a 3.5 is how much louder and rougher the powertrain in the 2.4 is. The 3.5 is so smooth and quiet compared to the 2.4.
That's what I felt exactly when I test drove V6 and 4 cylinder models back to back.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Had driven both... some say the I4 feels lighter but the extra horsepower makes up for that without issue. Don't get me wrong the I4 was fun to drive too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I test drive both a went with the 2017 TLX 2.4 because of a few reasons. The 3.5 felt much heavier and the pickup was much slower due to this. The 2.4 is lighter which allows it accelerate extremely quick, no matter what speed your driving at. In the 3.5 you need to be over 5.000 rpms to really feel the acceleration. I’ll use a racing acronym, the 2.4 is a quarter mile/Need for speed race car, where the 3.5 is more of a nascar race car made for high speeds for a longer period of time. I’ve never had any issues with the 2.4 lagging or being unable to pass someone or change lanes very quickly. Also the 2.4 shifted much smoother with the duel clutch transmission and you have push button shifters on the steering wheel. Also it get much better gas mileage. In summary, I feel the extra 80 horsepower does not justify the cost difference, due to the weight adding an extra 95 lbs. Also u will save money short term (cost of car) and long term (gas mileage) with the 2.4. Plus if u really want u can add a performance air intake or other accessories to increase the horsepower on a lighter car, for much less than the price difference. Also the 2.4 is a very quiet and smooth ride, can’t say the same for the 3.5. You can’t go wrong with either one but I wanted to give my opinion.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts