Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if somebody else has the same issue, but this one is re-occurring for me.

When on D (Direct) and waiting still, idle should be enough to not let the car to shake.
During cold days (temperature below 10C/50F) idle RPM is normal around 700-800 RPMs and no shaking is felt. During warmer days (temperature above 10-15C/50-60F) idle RPMs go down to 600-650 which causes the car to shake. I've seen this multiple times and I am sure it is related to the outside temperature since it always happens. If I get transmission to N, idle goes back up to normal RPMs.

Left the car to be checked by the dealership and nothing wrong was found. Dealership statement was that it is normal for 4-cylinder engines to vibrate and shake the car while on idle but with V6 it does not happen. I find this response bs as the shaking happens because RPMs go too low and I do not recall this happening when I got the car initially.

Just was wondering what your thoughts are and whether somebody experiences the same.
Thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
In my experience, Honda tends to use pretty low idle RPMs in order to save gas, especially on the 4-bangers. I haven't noticed it that much on the TLX, but it was pretty noticeable in most Civics I've driven as well as a couple loaner ILXs I got.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my experience, Honda tends to use pretty low idle RPMs in order to save gas, especially on the 4-bangers. I haven't noticed it that much on the TLX, but it was pretty noticeable in most Civics I've driven as well as a couple loaner ILXs I got.
fiatlux: Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same for my 2.4 I picked up few weeks ago. Same thing...sales man told me because it was 4 cylinder and it was cold weather. Now it’s warm and my car still has rough idle. I took it in for check up and tech said it’s normal. It vibrates though my leg and I could fell all over my body. How can this be normal? But car drives so smooth. Don’t know what to do. Dang.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
What happens to the idle / vibrations if you place the car in Neutral?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Inline 4 cylinder engines are inherently unbalanced. This issue can usually be felt more whenever at idle.
I noticed that I can feel this more on cool days where the AC compressor isn't running.
However, whenever the AC compressor is running, either to cool or to defrost, I don't feel much of a vibration at idle.

Here's a good video that shows what I'm talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgpDTVBeHOw

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem been to the dealership 7 times and they hate me they can never fix or diagnose it. Mine has gotten progressively worse over the last year the steering wheel shakes now. And it even surges idle when I turn the ac on initially. Heard it’s a software thing but they’ve yet to come out with an update. We’ll see I don’t believe the service manger. Called Acura and documented it. Only thing you can do is make a lemon case and get your money back or swap it out. So disappointing honestly they don’t make cars like they used too this generation on TLX sucks royally. They probably fixed it on the 2019 cuz I called and complained so many times before it was released. My brakes squeal also and apparently that’s normal ducking bukkahit if you ask me feel like a waste of money I’ve never hated a dealership so much should have gotten the Lexus or Mercedes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still the same idle issue. When it goes down to 600RPM I can hear something rattling underneath the drivers seat lately.
Anybody got that properly diagnosed and fixed? It seems 4 cylinder TLXs are being affected by this "design flaw".
1572615618035.png

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Do you hear it from inside the car or is the nose outside "under the seat"? Might be a heat shield that came loose if outside the car from something on the road. I have not heard of any "design flaws" about this before.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you hear it from inside the car or is the nose outside "under the seat"? Might be a heat shield that came loose if outside the car from something on the road. I have not heard of any "design flaws" about this before.
It is coming from outside. Sounds to me like the exhaust pipes are hitting into something. Checked underneath and everything looks tight and in place.

But hey, at this low 600RPMs everything starts to shake. I think the idle RPMs should never go below 700-800.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Acura TLX... My problem is I don't feel roughness after the car is done shifting when the car is cold... But once it gets warmed up that's when I notice the roughness after its done shifting.... If i press the accelerator and pick up speed it goes away once its back at a steady speed it comes back... I took the car back twice and they keep telling me its normal ... anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions

·
Premium Member
4,937 Posts
I have a 2016 Acura TLX... My problem is I don't feel roughness after the car is done shifting when the car is cold... But once it gets warmed up that's when I notice the roughness after its done shifting.... If i press the accelerator and pick up speed it goes away once its back at a steady speed it comes back... I took the car back twice and they keep telling me its normal ... anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions
A couple suggestions might be to try another dealer or to find one at the dealer and take it for a drive to see if it behaves the same as yours. That should give you an idea if it’s normal or if yours is behaving differently.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts