Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I settled on the 2.4 with tech package. The dealer doesn't even have one in the pipeline for weeks. I don't mind waiting. They do have the car I want but it's 3.5 v6 with tech. It's $3200 more than the 2.4 I plan to buy. Dealer says in this class of car I should be buying the v6, better engine, better transmission, better resale value, better value overall. I understand he wants to sell a car before the end of the month. I don't know enough to know if what he says is true about the 6. Early reviews I have read by the experts seem to favor the 4 cyl. Any advice would be appreciated as I am making this purchase on my own and am not a car savy woman, although I did get this far on my own!

·
Registered
438 Posts
best way to find out is to test drive the 3.5 and see how it feels

coming from a civic-like car with only 127hp, its a huge change for me and i was quite overwhelmed, but thats just me and im sure i will get used to it in time if i do go for the 3.5. but then i am opting for the 3.5 for the AWD so that's another issue. i do wish 2.4 is being offered with AWD but alas

if you feel that u do not need the extra horsepower, then stick to your 2.4 order, or ask for another discount since:

- to YOU the 3.5 engine has little value for your needs, no matter how much more powerful the engine is compared to the 2.4
- to HIM he just wants to sell the car to reach his monthly quota

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
I settled on the 2.4 with tech package. The dealer doesn't even have one in the pipeline for weeks. I don't mind waiting. They do have the car I want but it's 3.5 v6 with tech. It's $3200 more than the 2.4 I plan to buy. Dealer says in this class of car I should be buying the v6, better engine, better transmission, better resale value, better value overall. I understand he wants to sell a car before the end of the month. I don't know enough to know if what he says is true about the 6. Early reviews I have read by the experts seem to favor the 4 cyl. Any advice would be appreciated as I am making this purchase on my own and am not a car savy woman, although I did get this far on my own!
Welcome to the forum.

Personally I went with the 4 cylinder tech because I was happy with my previous TSXs that were 4 cyl. For me the concern was gas mileage over power. I feel the I4 Tech is peppy enough for me. It has the get up and go when I want it. I drive 75% of highway traffic in sunny South Florida. It's nice to be able to pass people with ease. This car has the pep.

I also read that the I4 was more fun to drive because of the lighter weight. Some also like the Dual Clutch Transmission over the 9sp on the V6.

I guess the real differences that may matter from a buying perspective, do you need the SH-AWD? I4 does not have SH-AWD, but both have the P-AWS. Another difference that stands out is the gear shifter is push button instead of stick shifter on the V6. Also, on the V6 you can get the advance package. The ACC is nice as well as other features, but is it worth the cost to you?

Again, I am very happy with my I4 tech because it meets my requirements to get to work and run around town.

At least the colors are the same. Have you decided on a color combination?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I very much appreciate the advice. I drive 75% freeway commute in sunny Southern California. Don't need the AWD. Perhaps a v6 is nice if you load the car with four adults and luggage and drive to Vegas but that isn't an everyday occurrence. I want white with black interior. Apparently the factory makes them in color batches. Have confirmed with several local dealers that color not expected until late October. Black on black or grey is available. I drove both. The v6 was more powerful when pushed but also felt heavier. I saw someone refer to it as a bit nose heavy, I thought that was a good description. Not sure about all the fuss dealer is making that it's a better value and will be worth twice what the v4 will be worth upon resale.

·
Registered
438 Posts
all the resale speculation is total BS, dont fall for it

·
Registered
317 Posts
Welcome rht.
I was agonizing over this very choice for the last 4 weeks and after a second extended test drive of both, back to back I settled on I4 (with TECH) for the reasons you just mentioned and what Summest put in his post above.

Funny you mentioned that the dealer was telling you to go for V6; I heard the exact opposite from one dealer I visited during my homework, mostly based on the same arguments. His take was that I4 is really a great fun to drive, lighter (140lbs) and 3 K (in Canada) less, better choice if you don't need AWD.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got the 4 cyl Tech last week, and just love it. Lot's of power, great ride, super stereo, quiet as a church on Monday morning.
If you feel like a road trip , my dealer has the white/black int Tech on the lot...of course, its 3500 miles away and the money is coloured here, but if you can't wait!!..))

·
Registered
130 Posts
Don't worry about what the dealer is saying. If you don't mind waiting and don't need the extra power, just stick with the 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yer just stick with the 4 cyclinder, even you state its too much. He just wants to sell a car this month that's all. If you wanted the v6 and they only had the 4 he would have told you the exact opposite like J233 got!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I live in a mountainous region and the V6 is definitely the way to go, you will really notice the difference when you go up anything more than a 6% incline. If you do mainly flat driving there obviously wouldn't be as much difference. Yes you lose some tossibility but with the AWD you can trick your car into some very cool cornering behavior.

·
Registered
2 Posts
TLX 2.4 Tech vs 3.5 Tech

I am in a similar situation now as rht was in Sep 2014 (at the time of the original post);
I should mention - to my dealer's credit - he has not been pushy or biased towards either the V6 or the I4 at all, almost to point that I get the impression he really does not care if he sells me a car or not

After test driving the v6 and the I4 TLX, I am close to settling on the 2.4 I4 for the following reasons

(I am coming from a Nissan Maxima that has a v6 (FWD) but prev generation that put out ~230hp; while TLX v6 was my initial leaning , the I4 @209 hp is not bad)

- my need is mostly work commute and getting around town and occasional long distance on the highway
- the I4 feels less 'top heavy' and more maneuverable than the v6
- I4 has peppy pickup and good passing on the highway
- smoother shifting (I think one of the earlier posters on this thread said this is a dual clutch as compared to traditional 9 speed transmission on the v6 - I think that shows on the v6 where some of the initial shifting seems very 'jerky')
- better gas mileage (although v6 is quite decent with the variable cylinder mgmt. contributing to better highway and overall mileage - 25mpg V6 avg vs 28 MPG I4 avg)
- the only feature I could miss with the tech as I4 compared to v6 + advance pkg is the adaptive cruise control
- I am having the remote engine start added to the I4 Tech by dealer (standard with the Advance pkg) - nice in colder climates (Ohio) in the winter

Any comments welcome...

·
Registered
164 Posts
That's a great analysis and it seems like you've already made up your mind. Oh, welcome, by the way!

I think that most here would agree that highway mileage on our I4's and some V6 owners exceed the highway EPA ratings.

I have a Tech and wish that I would have been able to get the 4 with the Advance package. Cooled seats. It's all about the cooled seats. The 4 is fine for me and really like it in Sport mode. Holds revs longer, throttle mapping is more aggressive and the steering firms up really nicely.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Whichever car you choose hopefully you will be happy with it. :)

I have the V6 FWD Advance package and am very satisfied with it. I have not experienced the transmission issues that some of the others have and feel fortunate. I like the adaptive cruise control but still suffer from the "will it or won't it" syndrome. I sometimes second guess the car and go for the brake pedal before the cruise control does its thing. However, the more I drive it the more I trust it. ;)

I think you will be happy you added the remote start. I got my ride in February and used the remote start quite often in the cold, Indiana winter. I was a little concerned initially about the possibility of car jacking with the engine running and the car unoccupied but you have to lock the doors before you can start it and when it is running the only thing that is running is the engine and the climate control. Nothing else works including the transmission until you get in, put your foot on the brake and press the start button. You must have the key Fob on your person to be able to do that. I might add that the remote start works equally well in the hot Indiana summers. :D

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Ah the dealer will tell you what ever they need to sell a car esp. if one is on the lot and another isn't. Its called closing the sale. If you like the feel of the I4 and can wait then wait for it.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I am in a similar situation now as rht was in Sep 2014 (at the time of the original post);
I should mention - to my dealer's credit - he has not been pushy or biased towards either the V6 or the I4 at all, almost to point that I get the impression he really does not care if he sells me a car or not

After test driving the v6 and the I4 TLX, I am close to settling on the 2.4 I4 for the following reasons

(I am coming from a Nissan Maxima that has a v6 (FWD) but prev generation that put out ~230hp; while TLX v6 was my initial leaning , the I4 @209 hp is not bad)

- my need is mostly work commute and getting around town and occasional long distance on the highway
- smoother shifting (I think one of the earlier posters on this thread said this is a dual clutch as compared to traditional 9 speed transmission on the v6 - I think that shows on the v6 where some of the initial shifting seems very 'jerky')
- better gas mileage (although v6 is quite decent with the variable cylinder mgmt. contributing to better highway and overall mileage - 25mpg V6 avg vs 28 MPG I4 avg)
- the only feature I could miss with the tech as I4 compared to v6 + advance pkg is the adaptive cruise control
- I am having the remote engine start added to the I4 Tech by dealer (standard with the Advance pkg) - nice in colder climates (Ohio) in the winter

Any comments welcome...
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post. :)

Personally, I think you made a good choice with the I4, but it is definitely your decision.

I thought about the ACC as well, but the LKAS keeps me entertained enough. :D

I still love the drive to and from work. The sporty feel is still fun and the TLX is almost a year old. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts

Any comments welcome...

If you can wait, the 2016 TLX may come with an Acurawatch trim you can add to the 4 cylinder models which will add adaptive cruise control, collision mitigation braking system, and possibly other safety features that only the Advance package has. Acura is standardizing this trim level across all Acura models because it contributes to the safety rating of their cars (at least in the U.S.)

I think my concern with I4 vs V6 engines is not with how much power the engine makes, but how refined and luxurious the engine is. I'm coming from an 8th generation 2009 Honda Civic where you feel every vibration the engine makes, hear every sound it makes (not just high RPM driving, but even idle), and how smooth the engine is. I need to test drive both TLX engines to see which one is more luxurious. I know V6 fans think only V6 engines are luxurious, but I believe 4 cylinder engines have come a long way. I would also tolerate the TLX 4 cylinder which you can hear only at high RPMs (since most of my driving is really low RPM driving anyway).

·
Registered
2 Posts
The one most noticeable quality of the TLX is the sound deadening inside the cabin. They have really done that extremely well in this one. So V6 or I4 - the difference wrt engine noise that you can hear inside would be marginal at best.
Many reviews I read lists sound proofing the cabin as the area where the TLX excels compared to its competition. One review described this as 'vault like' silence and I would totally agree. I did extensively test drive the TLX I4 - several hours and the v6 for a half hr on highway and local roads. Engine noise inside the cabin is a non issue in both; I think in the sport+ mode they deliberately pipe some in through the audio or something to that effect but I did not pay attention to or notice that. High RPM - you can hear the engine a bit as you accelerate from standstill for example on both but I would seriously doubt that it will be anything close to the civic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just wanted to put in my 2 cents and mention that every single thing everyone has said so far is absolutely correct.
I was extremely close to going with the 3.5L myself, but ended up with the 2.4L. Was it because the MPG difference? with only 3 mpg combined difference, no, that's not a big enough difference to sway my decision. Was it the cost of insurance difference? I didn't get a quote for both vehicles, so no, it was not a determining factor for me. Was it the power difference? sort of, although I could feel the extra power of the V6, the 4cyl with the 8speed DCT felt just as fast. It was a combination of two things. Number one color, I wanted expresso interior and we had the right color combo's in the 2.4L and I didn't want to wait a month for a 3.5L. And the other reason, oddly enough, was the gear shifter lever. Without that lever in the v6, my right hand couldn't find any comfortable place to sit while not holding the steering wheel. It was awkward for me. I don't know if I'm alone on that one, but it was a big enough difference that I just felt more at home in the 2.4L and decided to go that route.
No matter what you choose, you can't go wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
I just wanted to put in my 2 cents and mention that every single thing everyone has said so far is absolutely correct.
I was extremely close to going with the 3.5L myself, but ended up with the 2.4L. Was it because the MPG difference? with only 3 mpg combined difference, no, that's not a big enough difference to sway my decision. Was it the cost of insurance difference? I didn't get a quote for both vehicles, so no, it was not a determining factor for me. Was it the power difference? sort of, although I could feel the extra power of the V6, the 4cyl with the 8speed DCT felt just as fast. It was a combination of two things. Number one color, I wanted expresso interior and we had the right color combo's in the 2.4L and I didn't want to wait a month for a 3.5L. And the other reason, oddly enough, was the gear shifter lever. Without that lever in the v6, my right hand couldn't find any comfortable place to sit while not holding the steering wheel. It was awkward for me. I don't know if I'm alone on that one, but it was a big enough difference that I just felt more at home in the 2.4L and decided to go that route.
No matter what you choose, you can't go wrong.

Funny you mention the shifter. I traded a manual car for the TLX. It was very odd at first not having something to rest my hand on. Like anything though you get used to it. You aren't alone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts