Acura TLX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't think it would be so soon that I got to experience this service.
48hrs and 86kms after purchase, I went to go home after work only to find my beautiful TLX deader than dead :(. Seems like the battery drained, and I had to get it boosted. Uggghh...... not the way I wanted my first Acura experience to start

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Didn't think it would be so soon that I got to experience this service.
48hrs and 86kms after purchase, I went to go home after work only to find my beautiful TLX deader than dead :(. Seems like the battery drained, and I had to get it boosted. Uggghh...... not the way I wanted my first Acura experience to start
I wonder what caused the drain? I keep a spare jumper battery in the garage.

I sit in the car at lunch in accessory mode for about 45 minutes each work day. I am glad I haven't seen this issue. Maybe you got a bad battery? Curious to hear of your findings. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
This is why I rather depend on a company that solely does roadside assistance, at least with them you can expect better. Some are big enough that people spot them on the road everyday.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I had a similar experience but it happened at home. After playing in accessory mode for 30-45 minutes there was insufficient juice to turn the engine over. Called Acura roadside assistance and was able to boost it. Drove to the dealer and they first had to boost the battery before doing a full load test. Found that the battery was weak but there were none in stock, and thought that I should be ok until a new battery came in a week later.

Well, next morning same problem. This time I just jump started it and went for a 1 hour drive to charge the battery. Next morning same problem. The dealer was able to get a new battery out of an unsold car at another dealer. This was 2 months ago and the new battery is fine since then.

The roadside assistance guy says that he gets lots of calls from MDX owners who have been sitting in accessory mode with the radio cranked up and then have difficulty starting. Suggests that the radio draws lots of current. My speculation is that if the battery is already weak, usually, a few years old, then a reasonable drain can bring it to its end.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Anyone know what group size the battery is?
This happened to my sister's '10 Accord. However, on her car they used a battery half the size of what would fit in there to save weight and increase fuel economy...and save cost to Honda I'm sure. She had the radio on one night while camping and killed the battery. It would would not start the car in the mornings and I went out and got her a new battery. However, I got her the one that was twice the size of the factory battery...all I had to do was bend the bracket that held the smaller battery in place (took 2 seconds). The crazy thing is that both the original half sized battery and the new larger battery cost the same at Autozone!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Lots of potential issues here that could be the cause. Going through this on my wifes 2011 Odyssey, no known resolution BUT google Parasitic Battery Leak...seems Honda products are known for these problems

The dealer couldnt tell me how many amp-hours a Honda battery has, as that is an indication of how long you can run something. The thought that a radio can discharge a battery that deeply is an indication of something else IMHO, unless the battery is in rough shape

Finally it seems newer cars are very susceptible to a smaller voltage drop, and then refuse to start-courtesy of the onboard electronics.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Just looked up the battery on an Acura dealer's online store and it looks like it is a group 35 battery. It shows that it only has 440CCA. That is surprisingly low if you ask me. If mine ever goes out I'll probably buy an Optima red top. I had one for 8 years in the car I just sold and it was still within 50CCA of its rated capacity...which was still way higher than what the factory battery had. In this case the Group 35 Optima Red Top has 720CCA.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Just looked up the battery on an Acura dealer's online store and it looks like it is a group 35 battery. It shows that it only has 440CCA. That is surprisingly low if you ask me. If mine ever goes out I'll probably buy an Optima red top. I had one for 8 years in the car I just sold and it was still within 50CCA of its rated capacity...which was still way higher than what the factory battery had. In this case the Group 35 Optima Red Top has 720CCA.
Great info when it comes to getting the car started.

I would suggest however, that when determining a drain situation (apparently the cause here?) then A-H or Reserve Capacity are important measurements - thats what matters in determining how long to leave the radio or lights on.

Once the energy (AH or RC) level drops, the voltage drops, and CCA will suffer. And a 'wounded' battery only worsens both metrics.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
As with the spare tire going away to reduce costs for the dealer to make the car look price attractive and to reduce weight; I guess they will give us a smaller battery that only lasts a few minutes with the understanding that you will no longer be able to sit in your car to listen to the radio for extended periods greater than a few minutes. Get in and drive then park and get out. No lingering around. A smaller battery will reduce costs for the dealer to make the car look more price attractive and reduce overall weight.

Maybe I am being too cynical and/or it is time to got to bed. :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Makes me nervous when trying to start at -20C....

·
Registered
222 Posts
worry when it hits -30.

one time we got -30 weather and about 1/2 the people i spoke with that day said their car wouldn't start, fortunately my civic did :D

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Block heaters certainly help with cold starts. Batteries in most newer cars aren't what they used to be. Not the batteries that they put in them from the factory at least.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Agreed! Hate to think we need battery blankets, but as the factory batts become less robust these problems will continue.

Remember the old cold batt hint: turn on the headlights to get some current flowing through the battery and warm it up. Then the CCA will jump.

Not sure if this ever worked though. Probably should be on a different thread too.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I am a southerner who only spent 5 years in Maryland, so I don't have the "cold" experience most of you have.

I would think someone could make a battery warmer, just thinking out loud and doing no research. Maybe there is a safety / explosion issue with heating the battery? :)

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Battery blankets/warmers exist. I've never used one though. We use a block heater for the car that isn't lucky enough to sleep in the garage.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I did have a similar problem, but entirely my own fault. I spend a day on accessory loading CDs onto the hard disk. The car finally shut down and did all sorts of strange behavior.

Jump started the car (Had to leave the connection on about 10 minutes before there was sufficient power to start the car.) Then went for the long drive to re-charge.

Everything is fine now, but I don't run on aux very often any more. Just leave the car in idle. Rather waste some gas than deal with the flat battery. Still, "all day" on aux with the CD running is not so bad a performance.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I did have a similar problem, but entirely my own fault. I spend a day on accessory loading CDs onto the hard disk. The car finally shut down and did all sorts of strange behavior.

Jump started the car (Had to leave the connection on about 10 minutes before there was sufficient power to start the car.) Then went for the long drive to re-charge.

Everything is fine now, but I don't run on aux very often any more. Just leave the car in idle. Rather waste some gas than deal with the flat battery. Still, "all day" on aux with the CD running is not so bad a performance.
This still scares me - back to my Reserve Capacity thoughts. Without the numbers at hand, it still sounds like these batteries don't have a lot of guts.

maybe I'll do some math in my spare time...more to follow

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys, sorry been away travelling on business. No further issues with the car not starting. I left it for 8 days in the driveway, and upon return it fired up no problem. Maybe just a fluke problem here, hoping for the best !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.