Acura TLX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Some of us are repeated self-proclaimed car idiots.
I have changed the oil in my cars before... when I had a 1981 monte carlo. ;)
I'm slowly building up the confidence to do this type of stuff... (as I said, changed my air and cabin filters... but that's not quite the same as oil/brakes etc.).

Generally, I agree cutting costs is a good thing when possible.
I feel like there's a push-pull between "i own a 'luxury' car and shouldn't 'have' to or don't want to do these services myself" and "the dealer knows what I just said and feels they can charge whatever they want". As Chris1980 said... this doesn't feel much like Acura... more Merc or higher end "treatment".

I will ask my guy today what the quote for a full B, B1, and B12 service is.
I agree that as my cars got nicer and income grew, I just let the dealer do the work....seemed like a hassle to do it myself. So I totally get it.

But over the past few years my dealer began to "find" things that needed to be done. I got sick of them finding work or suggesting BS that was not in the scheduled maintenance. So I started to visit online forums and YouTube for how to videos...there is a video for almost every DYI for almost every car out there. For example, dealer wanted over $500 for front brakes. Found YouTube for my car and did the job in about an hour for about $150 (which included new and not resurfaced rotors). Repeated a year later for rear brakes. I just replaced a radiator for $140 and dealer wanted over $900.

I am not mr. handy, but for $750 I am willing to give it a try. Now I actually enjoy working on my car.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree that as my cars got nicer and income grew, I just let the dealer do the work....seemed like a hassle to do it myself. So I totally get it.

But over the past few years my dealer began to "find" things that needed to be done. I got sick of them finding work or suggesting BS that was not in the scheduled maintenance. So I started to visit online forums and YouTube for how to videos...there is a video for almost every DYI for almost every car out there. For example, dealer wanted over $500 for front brakes. Found YouTube for my car and did the job in about an hour for about $150 (which included new and not resurfaced rotors). Repeated a year later for rear brakes. I just replaced a radiator for $140 and dealer wanted over $900.

I am not mr. handy, but for $750 I am willing to give it a try. Now I actually enjoy working on my car.
That's awesome. Thank you... might push me in the same direction.
I'll probably build up a price vs. tolerance for pain in my butt chart in my head and act accordingly. ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quick update on the B service quote from my dealer: My dealer paid for my oil change today as a thank you for my patience while they replaced my transmission... so I didn't even think about asking him about the B service costs... however he did say since I had replaced the air/cabin filters myself, the only thing left was the oil change. I will try to remember to ask next time, or just call to get a quote and see what they say.

·
Registered
81 Posts
They charged for COMPLETE fuel system service (over $200), brake fluid exchange ($169) 4 wheel align ment ($130) which is covered on my optional mx contract for which we paid $439 at time of lease. The car only had 12,264 mi and was 16 mos old at time of service! Total ripoff by Mac Churchill.
Try to get reimbursed for what you can, and then run, don't walk, from that dealer. Horrible!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Had my car serviced today at Acura Peabody - fully synthetic Mobil 1 oil change with filter, state inspection ($35) rotate tires, 4 wheel alignment, multi-point inspection $281 - didn't think that was too bad. Plus they finally listened to me and found an issue with the silicon sheet in front of the windshield camera so hopefully next time it rains my wipers behave in intermittent mode.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
With this drought it might be a while.

Seriously fuel system service. Not needed on such a new car. Do not even get me started on the brake fluid change. Good luck... honestly your wife should have talked to you before approving the services.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
With this drought it might be a while.

Seriously fuel system service. Not needed on such a new car. Do not even get me started on the brake fluid change. Good luck... honestly your wife should have talked to you before approving the services.
Yes, they did take advantage of her by telling her the services were RECOMMENDED at the 1 yr point or 15k miles and if she didn't authorize then it would be 19,000 miles before we returned for service. When I quizzed the service adviser yesterday I asked him WHO recommended those additional services, Acura or Mac Churchill? He said it was the dealer, Mac Churchill. Just lining their pocket at my expense. I'm sending complaints to Acura and to local BBB.:mad:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You might be surprised. My last car was a 2013 C250. I bought a service contract when I leased it for around $900. Never paid a cent to the dealer in 3 years after that. And the warranty replaced the engine after 2 years for a little squeal they couldn't fix ($20,000) Great service on all visits. Not so much with Acura. My present car is a 2015 Infiniti Q50. The car IMHO is even better than the Mercedes and the service is too.

At age 78 and with a new shoulder I can't even wash or polish my wife's Acura let alone change the oil. But I'll find an independent dealer who can.

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
I can understand why you wouldn't take your car back there. it's too bad there are businesses that represent major car manufacturers who take advantage of people.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've taken a test drive at Goodson, and spoke with a sales person. Seems like a pretty decent place.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Mac Churchill Service

I can understand why you wouldn't take your car back there. it's too bad there are businesses that represent major car manufacturers who take advantage of people.
You're right. So I sent a letter of complaint to Acura in Torrance along with a copy of the service invoice. I tried working with the dealers client services manager. She was no help at all. She promised the service manager would call me last Saturday- never happened. Then she promised he, Adrian Brown, would call be Monday- another no show. I've had 3 Acuras. If I ever get another one it sure won't be from Mac Churchill.
Posting a complaint to BBB this week.

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
You're right. So I sent a letter of complaint to Acura in Torrance along with a copy of the service invoice. I tried working with the dealers client services manager. She was no help at all. She promised the service manager would call me last Saturday- never happened. Then she promised he, Adrian Brown, would call be Monday- another no show. I've had 3 Acuras. If I ever get another one it sure won't be from Mac Churchill.
Posting a complaint to BBB this week.
Unfortunately I'd be surprised if they call you back. In their mind someone signed off on what was to be done so they didn't do anything wrong. Ethically though.......

Did you contact Acura itself to complain? Maybe show them what one of its dealers is doing? I get that they are independently owned but it does represent them to a point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just had this done at Crown Acura in Richmond, VA. Mileage 15,894. 2015 TLX 3.5L Tech

$88.92- for B1. Inspections, Rotation and Synthetic Oil Change
$79.95- for 4 Wheel alignment as a recommendation which was a good idea. First since purchase in 09/2015.
Free-Car wash, hand dry, vacuum.

And certainly off topic, but no transmission issues so far. Manufacture date 02/15.

·
Registered
681 Posts
2015 TLX SHAWD, 19k km.
B/B16 service in July, $336 CAD all in.
I have seen the brake line scam before - come on, its a sealed system - what is getting in there, and isn't that warranty?
Fuel pump services seems very suspicious...
Alignments - well, that's a consumable. But there should be either driving concerns or at least tire wear...

IMHO

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have seen the brake line scam before - come on, its a sealed system - what is getting in there, and isn't that warranty?
IMHO
The only usual work on the brakes would be to replace the brake fluid every three years, per the owner's manual.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just had this done at Crown Acura in Richmond, VA. Mileage 15,894. 2015 TLX 3.5L Tech

$88.92- for B1. Inspections, Rotation and Synthetic Oil Change
$79.95- for 4 Wheel alignment as a recommendation which was a good idea. First since purchase in 09/2015.
Free-Car wash, hand dry, vacuum.

And certainly off topic, but no transmission issues so far. Manufacture date 02/15.
I'm in Stafford, VA; bought mine 08/2015 at Karen Radley Acura in Woodbridge, hey neighbor!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in Stafford, VA; bought mine 08/2015 at Karen Radley Acura in Woodbridge, hey neighbor!
Hey there, down here in Goochland just outside Richmond. Certainly proves that Hoos and Hokies have great taste in at least one thing:D

Although this time of year I tend to keep a low profile:crying:

21 - 40 of 47 Posts