Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Acura TLX AWD Advance package
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the WORST experience with a 2022 Volvo S60 and the best experience with a 2019 Mazda 3 Hatchback, I hope this is going to be my car for several years.
Until now (300 miles and 2 weeks) I'm very happy. I added a wireless Car Play dongle that works very, very good (until now).
Only complain: I was getting 26 mpg with the Mazda (2.5 liters engine) and same with the Volvo (2.0 liters turbo). Both engines are comparable with the 2.0 liters turbo on the Acura, but I'm getting just 21 mpg driving very careful... any thoughts? Should improve). I use premium gas only.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
345 Posts
After the WORST experience with a 2022 Volvo S60 and the best experience with a 2019 Mazda 3 Hatchback, I hope this is going to be my car for several years.
Until now (300 miles and 2 weeks) I'm very happy. I added a wireless Car Play dongle that works very, very good (until now).
Only complain: I was getting 26 mpg with the Mazda (2.5 liters engine) and same with the Volvo (2.0 liters turbo). Both engines are comparable with the 2.0 liters turbo on the Acura, but I'm getting just 21 mpg driving very careful... any thoughts? Should improve). I use premium gas only.
Thanks!
I was getting about 21-22 mpg driving stop-light to stop-light. I've been getting 25-26 mpg now that 75% of my driving is on the highway.

·
Registered
2021 SH-AWD Advance
63 Posts
I wouldn't count on the fuel economy improving. It's one of the weak spots of the car.

What wireless CarPlay module do you have? I had a CarLinkIt 2.0 that worked nearly flawlessly in my 2018 Accord but didn't work at all in my 2021 TLX. I do miss having the wireless CarPlay.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX Type S
59 Posts
Thanks!
What wireless CarPlay dongle are you using?

·
Registered
2022 TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
42 Posts
Greetings Fasani,
I have the same car as you do and fuel mileage was never a concern. When you buy a car like this, it is simply a part of the deal. I do not drive mine often, but when I do, it is always in sport mode. No sense in buying a car like this and not enjoy it as it is meant to be.

Having said this, the crazy part is that my 2018 Acura NSX gets the same fuel mileage if not better. Go figure.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Greetings Fasani,
I have the same car as you do and fuel mileage was never a concern. When you buy a car like this, it is simply a part of the deal. I do not drive mine often, but when I do, it is always in sport mode. No sense in buying a car like this and not enjoy it as it is meant to be.

Having said this, the crazy part is that my 2018 Acura NSX gets the same fuel mileage if not better. Go figure.
What's been interesting for me is that my BMW 5 series got about 21.5 mpg.....my wife's CX-9 gets about 21.5 mpg and my TLX in city driving got about 21.5 mpg. I know that a lot of people get worked up about the fuel economy and it is disappointing that it's not better....but it's in line with what I'm used to. I'm curious....do you even get 20 mpg if it's in sport mode all the time?

·
Registered
2022 TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
42 Posts
What's been interesting for me is that my BMW 5 series got about 21.5 mpg.....my wife's CX-9 gets about 21.5 mpg and my TLX in city driving got about 21.5 mpg. I know that a lot of people get worked up about the fuel economy and it is disappointing that it's not better....but it's in line with what I'm used to. I'm curious....do you even get 20 mpg if it's in sport mode all the time?
It is nutz. My Wife has a 2020 Honda Pilot and that gets 20MPG. My TLX in sport mode is averaging right at 17mpg. The engine mode along with the transmission mode in sport mode is like candy to a kid. Having said this, I am fairly sure that in comfort mode, these will likely get about 22-23 maybe?

·
Registered
2021 TLX Type S (had 1994 Integra GSR 4DR)
75 Posts
It is nutz. My Wife has a 2020 Honda Pilot and that gets 20MPG. My TLX in sport mode is averaging right at 17mpg. The engine mode along with the transmission mode in sport mode is like candy to a kid. Having said this, I am fairly sure that in comfort mode, these will likely get about 22-23 maybe?
In comfort (It took a lot of discipline!) around rural roads with a little highway I am getting 21.4.
But I really prefer normal, unless I am merging, the sport just holds the gears too long for regular driving.
I do wish that the paddle shifters would change modes instead of just gears. (Just my 2c)

·
Registered
130 Posts
You should get about 25-28 mpg on the highway if driving a steady speed and not up and down on the gas. If you're driving for many hours on an interstate you may even see 30 MPG with the 2.0T. Also once you're in higher gears that's why it is 10 gears on this car, apparently you're going to be getting better MPGs. If you keep it in lower gears and getting on it you're going to get lower MPGs. Someone saying they're getting 17 MPG, you might be getting on that throttle a little bit. I get ya as sport mode is a little bit of fun, but you'll never get anywhere near max MPG that way.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You should get about 25-28 mpg on the highway if driving a steady speed and not up and down on the gas. If you're driving for many hours on an interstate you may even see 30 MPG with the 2.0T. Also once you're in higher gears that's why it is 10 gears on this car, apparently you're going to be getting better MPGs. If you keep it in lower gears and getting on it you're going to get lower MPGs. Someone saying they're getting 17 MPG, you might be getting on that throttle a little bit. I get ya as sport mode is a little bit of fun, but you'll never get anywhere near max MPG that way.
I've gotten as high as 32 mpg in my 2021 if the wind isn't giving me hell. I was disappointed that I only got 27.5 mpg on my 1700 mile round trip to El Paso this winter. A fair amount of wind in my face combined with some hills hurt the car.

FWIW, I'll put the car in sport mode when I'm actually driving aggressively, but I hate the way that it hangs onto a gear once I'm coasting so I rarely keep it in sport mode for long.

·
Registered
2021 TLX Type S
10 Posts
In comfort (It took a lot of discipline!) around rural roads with a little highway I am getting 21.4.
But I really prefer normal, unless I am merging, the sport just holds the gears too long for regular driving.
I do wish that the paddle shifters would change modes instead of just gears. (Just my 2c)
I’m averaging about 25 with the Type S. I use Sport mode sparingly and I am normally in comfort mode. My driving is largely rural and highway, so if you are driving in stoplight to stoplight heavy traffic I can see it might go down. It is a relatively heavy car, so the more stopping and starting you do, the more fuel you will use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
But what’s up about Volvo? I thought this brand was one of the best on the market, and it definitely was on my list. I need a family car for at least 4 people, and Volvo seems to be one of the best options due to safety. That’s why I set my nissan skyline r32 for sale and was going to buy a newer Volvo, so all my kids fit in it. Nissan was a fun car to drive, and I love it, but it’s time to go for something more reliable and comfortable for a family. I thought that Volvo or Volkswagen would be the best for the role of a family car. But what would you recommend me to choose?

·
Registered
2021 TLX Type S (had 1994 Integra GSR 4DR)
75 Posts
But what’s up about Volvo? I thought this brand was one of the best on the market, and it definitely was on my list. I need a family car for at least 4 people, and Volvo seems to be one of the best options due to safety. That’s why I set my nissan skyline r32 for sale and was going to buy a newer Volvo, so all my kids fit in it. Nissan was a fun car to drive, and I love it, but it’s time to go for something more reliable and comfortable for a family. I thought that Volvo or Volkswagen would be the best for the role of a family car. But what would you recommend me to choose?
I own a Volvo (2001 V70 T5 Manual) but when I test drove the new ones I had the following complaints
Lackluster performance and handling (It was very comfortable but it was as much fun as sitting on the couch)
Infotainment system! It was slow, you have to navigate to the correct sub menu to even adjust the seat bolster (The B&W sound system is the best out there)
No ventilated seats on any non SUV
Add a few toys and it gets very expensive very quickly.
I have to say the seats are the most comfortable on long drives of any vehicle.
Volvo Service is great.

I also own a VW Sportwagon (2015 1.8t Manual)
Know that when you buy a VW they start to become very unreliable after about 90,000 miles (You dont want a modern VW after about 90,000)
Not great sound system.
VW Service is hit and miss.

Just my 2c but its my opinion...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts