Acura TLX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from an overnight trip to Michigan and completed my first 1000 miles in my TLX SH-AWD Tech. It only took 10 days to hit 1000 miles thanks to 700 miles from the Michigan round trip.

Consider this still initial feedback given the 10 days

Observations -

1. Tires, tires, tires - some of you already know that I replaced the OEM Goodyears with Michelin A/S 3's in the stock size and that I also have the 4G TL SH Tech model. Steering feel and handling improved dramatically and in corners - with the tire upgrade, TLX wins hands down over my TL in terms of handling.

2. Sport+ mode - I'm liking the 6th to 3rd "triple-tap" to downshift for corner entry. It works really well in Sport+, but I don't think it works at all in Sport or other modes. (I tried) I haven't noticed a significant delay using the 6th to 3rd method in Sport+, but I do notice the lag in the downshift when I go through the gears one at a time if going to 4th from a higher gear. If you haven't tried the triple tap, try it while in 6th at about 40-45mph and see what you think. This is a feature with the ZF transmission. Exercise care in trying the triple tap to downshift while at too high a speed to avoid excessive engine rpm. From 40-45mph is very safe range to go from 6th to 3rd.

3. On my 700 miles round trip, I averaged 32.2mpg and this is with the car in Sport mode the whole trip - 600+ miles were interstate highways.

4. In Normal and Sport modes, the shift from 2nd to 3rd has been a bit rough, but seems to be improving. All other shifts have been very smooth.

5. I didn't noticed any lag yet in passing performance with the 9AT. I was expecting some hesitation from top gear to downshift. I didn't notice it in Sport mode. That said, I still expect to see some lag based on the design of the transmission as other reviews have mentioned. I need to drive it more and see how it does in the other modes for this concern.

6. Transmission control layout - I was worried that the absence of a shift lever might be more unnatural since I routinely cradle the shift lever on the TL and other cars. This hasn't been an issue for me and I find the center armrest comfortable. I do still find myself looking at the controls when putting it in reverse or activating the brake hold. I turn the idle stop off right after starting the engine. As far as the layout is concerned, it feels most awkward and slower when backing out of a parking space or out of a driveway - looking down at the controls before putting in Drive. (I think it will take a long time to get used to it for this circumstance)

7. Performance e.g. acceleration - My 4G TL "feels" stronger during acceleration from a stop. The TLX may be faster on paper but it doesn't feel like it most of the time e.g. in normal driving for me. I kinda miss the more audible growl of the TL's 3.7L too.

8. The whole trip to Michigan was non-stop drizzle. The windshield wipers are so quiet. Very nice.

9. LKAS and forward collision warning. Works pretty good I guess. Interstate 75 is pretty rough as far as lane markings and road quality between Findlay OH and Toledo. The LKAS worked OK. I think the value of the system is best for long highway cruising to minimize corrections while keeping attention and control of the wheel. I found myself more relaxed and able to let it keep the car centered in the lane with lighter input from me. Several times, the system sensed steering input was required even though my hands were always on the wheel because of my light pressure. I think the idea of being able to take your hands off the wheel may be a good demo of the technology, but I don't think it is safe or prudent to do so and hope it doesn't get misused. Forward Collision braking light flashed a few times when merging in behind cars in traffic, and I think a shiny metallic trailer on a large semi triggered it from the next lane once.

I'm going to drive the TL for a few days (teaching my daughter to drive - lol) and compare the comfort/ergo aspects again.

Just an update - consider my bias in that I am a SH-AWD fan and haven't driven non-Acura or Honda in a decade.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Note: I found the information for the triple tap downshift - skips 2 gears e.g. 6th to 3rd in a ZF manual online for another model. It seems to work on the TL's 9AT in Sport+ mode. If anyone finds a link from Acura, or this exact model of ZF transmission - please post a link

I found it mentioned on page 19 Section 2.6.2 of this

http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/...tfolio/coaches/AS_Tronic_Operators_Manual.pdf

Yes this link is for a ZF bus transmission and it may seem completely different - but the technique works in the TLX 9AT Sport+ mode. I think the functionality is built in to these transmissions in the same way.

Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice review! I agree with the LKAS. It's great when the lanes are clearly marked, and it does make for a more relaxed long-distance drive.

Also, good luck with teaching your daughter how to drive! Make sure to teach her about turn signals LOL

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice review! I agree with the LKAS. It's great when the lanes are clearly marked, and it does make for a more relaxed long-distance drive.

Also, good luck with teaching your daughter how to drive! Make sure to teach her about turn signals LOL
Thanks - I had a big headache before we went driving, but I think the rush of adrenaline /nerves from being in the passenger seat while she was driving cured it. Not sure which was worse...

One other things I am noticing about the TLX is the backup camera. It is not nearly as well protected from the elements as the one on the TL - as a result it gets dirty quickly especially this time of year. I'm having to wipe it off daily/every other day to keep it clean vs. never really having trouble with the TL.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Great review ! Agree with the rear camera not being well protected. I have to clean it often as well. Actually, I noticed that the entire area between the edge of the trunk cover and the licence plate likes to collect a lot of dirt and a regular auto car wash has a challenge with cleaning this spot.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Great review ! Agree with the rear camera not being well protected. I have to clean it often as well. Actually, I noticed that the entire area between the edge of the trunk cover and the licence plate likes to collect a lot of dirt and a regular auto car wash has a challenge with cleaning this spot.
Thanks!

Agreed on the trunk cover - I bring a detailing towel and wipe it down and close the lid several times to get the water out, and have to do it again when I get home from the car wash. I have the deckled spoiler and water gets in there also. I will say that the shape of the trunk is not as bad as the TL though in that my TL is bad about collecting dust on the trunk lid vertical surface almost immediately after a wash.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Impressions for ergonomics

My frame of reference has been the 4G TL SH-AWD Tech and comparing to TLX, I have some further impressions:

- Navigation interface is slight improvement - I like having the touchscreen to key in addresses on the TLX lower screen and prefer using it to the alternative dial for speed.

- Climate control - I can't say that I see any advantage to the TLX controls other than having more customization. The number of buttons have been reduced, but steps have been increased. In particular, seat heaters and fan speed are not as convenient in TLX. Acura took criticism over the number of buttons in reviews for the TL, but I suspect owners with a longer relationship with the car would not have issues and would appreciate the direct access to controls. Advantage TL in my opinion.

-Audio controls - I like the station preset access and the volume control dial on the steering wheel in the TLX better. I have been using an iPhone with the bluetooth connection but I think I will plug in my iPod to the USB instead. Skipping tracks with the steering wheel control seems sluggish to me. I normally used my iPod/USB in the TL so it may not have anything to do with the TLX. (Audio quality seems OK- I have ANC off, and -2 center, with neural on).

Seats - TL side bolsters seem better/more supportive to me than TLX, but otherwise seats are still very comfortable.

One question for the forum members on audio performance. The TL Tech came with the ELS DVD-Audio disc with test tracks and samples. Is there a way to transfer any of the surround samples to CD or USB to try the tracks on the TLX as TLX can no longer play DVD-A discs?

·
Registered
666 Posts
One question for the forum members on audio performance. The TL Tech came with the ELS DVD-Audio disc with test tracks and samples. Is there a way to transfer any of the surround samples to CD or USB to try the tracks on the TLX as TLX can no longer play DVD-A discs?
It should be possible to convert the DVD-A sample to DTS-CD using DVD Audio Extractor program and then burning the ISO image to a DTS-CD. The TLX can play the latter format disc which will be in multi channel format.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It should be possible to convert the DVD-A sample to DTS-CD using DVD Audio Extractor program and then burning the ISO image to a DTS-CD. The TLX can play the latter format disc which will be in multi channel format.
Thank you!

I was able to Download DVD Audio Extractor 7.2.0 free and see the options for DTS-CD creation. I'll try it but I need to get some blank CD-R's first.

I also noticed it is possible to convert to 6 channel lossless FLAC and ALAC files and may give that a try also in the meantime

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.