Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone switched to 19" wheels/tires?
How does the ride and handling compare to the 18" tires/wheels?
Any unacceptable harshness?

·
Registered
134 Posts
The ride is only a little harder and the handling is significantly improved. How wide are your tires? Mine are 245's so you have a much larger contact patch and improved grip (depending on the tires used of course). I used the Michelin PS2 Super Sports.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am planning on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S-3 245/40R19. I will use my 18" rims for winter tires. I am opting for the Pilot Sport A/S-3's over Pilot Super Sport because the A/S-3's are a little less expensive and should wear longer while delivering 90% of the performance qualities of the Super Sport. This car will never see the race track, so the A/S-3's will deliver all the performance qualities that I will ever need. Also, I have a 4 wheel drive truck which I plan on keeping for at least 3 more years, so I may not even use the TLX on a regular basis in the winter for the next few years. I will probably hold off on snow tires until the TLX becomes a dedicated all-year car.

I drove an Audi A4 which had 245/45R18 tires and the Audi seemed much better composed in corners than the TLX AWD with 225/50R18's. I am thinking that the wider tire (lower profile) contributed much to the subtle improvement in handling. The Audi probably also has a more sophisticated front steering geometry, but if the TLX can come close, I am OK as this will be strictly a street car.

A little firmer ride is an OK trade off for a sharper turn in and improved handling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S-3 tires on my Audi S5 Cabriolet and they handle very well and have excellent grip but are really noisy at speeds above 65mph. I am thinking for my wife's yet-to-arrive TLX of ordering the Bridgestone DriveGuard RunFlat W rated A/S.

Any thoughts?

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S-3 tires on my Audi S5 Cabriolet and they handle very well and have excellent grip but are really noisy at speeds above 65mph. I am thinking for my wife's yet-to-arrive TLX of ordering the Bridgestone DriveGuard RunFlat W rated A/S.

Any thoughts?
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post.

Which flavor of the TLX did you wife order?

What color combo did you go with?

:)

·
Registered
110 Posts

Any thoughts?
I have the Michelin A/S 3's on the 18" wheels in the stock size on my TLX. I borrowed a sound level meter from work and did a before/after comparison because I had heard it might be an issue. There was only a 1.5dB increase for the A/S'3 over the Goodyear OEM's at highway speeds - which I couldn't discern without the sound meter. Not apples to apples since I have the 18's, but the TLX has really good sound insulation and the A/S 3's are tops in my opinion. This is also with the TLX's ANC (noise cancellation) turned off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts