Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys & gals
18 TLX AWD 3.5L
Almost 100K on her - original motor blew around 50K. Fresh oil change, all fluids swapped, good fuel.. but I’m getting this rattling noise. Dealership couldn’t identify - mechanic hasn’t identified yet.. hoping someone else will know this sound.. super annoying. Can’t hear it when windows are up - low speed - rattling, HELP? 🤷🏻‍♂️

YouTube link to sound

and another one…

Rattling noise part 2

· Registered
256 Posts
It could be something as simple as a heat shield or brake dust shield. Maybe even something that came loose in and around one of your wheels.

Do you hear it more when you let off the gas and/or give it more gas? Can you hear it from outside the vehicle when idling? Do you hear it when at a stop and press the gas peddle lightly?

I did have a prior bearing failure which was preceeded by a rattle around 3.5k RPMs. You could have them inspect the lower end of the engine, i.e. crankshaft, bearings, connecting rods. To keep costs down, I'd see if they can do this using a borescope camer via the the oil drain. If not, and all other possible sources check out, drop the oil pan and take a closer look.

· Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys & gals
18 TLX AWD 3.5L
Almost 100K on her - original motor blew around 50K. Fresh oil change, all fluids swapped, good fuel.. but I’m getting this rattling noise. Dealership couldn’t identify - mechanic hasn’t identified yet.. hoping someone else will know this sound.. super annoying. Can’t hear it when windows are up - low speed - rattling, HELP? 🤷🏻‍♂️

YouTube link to sound

and another one…

Rattling noise part 2
Hey guys & gals
18 TLX AWD 3.5L

YouTube link to sound

and another one…

Rattling noise part 2
I'm noticing a lot of people having the same lower end problems with the 3.5. I currently have 42k on my 2018. Is it time to sell!? Is there anyway to find out which ones are susceptible to lower end problems? Yours was replaced at 50k. Warranty? Thanks

· Registered
256 Posts
Until Acura releases any details regarding a known issue I don't think there's any way of knowing which ones may be susceptible to the lower end problems. I had my first bearing failure at ~38k and a second at ~66k. I can say that my fuel economy read out rapidly dropped to ~14 mpg prior to each. So, that's definitely a sign. I'm curious if there may be a difference in mpg that may be suggestive of issues earlier than later. I think on all my my engines I've been averaging ~18 mpg in economy mode while mostly city driving, though more winding back roads than city blocks.

· Registered
8 Posts
This is really concerning! Thanks for insight and info. I haven't heard of anyone coming out of pocket yet. My guess is that will come in time, once the 6yr or 70k powertrain expires. I'll be looking to sell before 70k, unless I hear otherwise. But, right now it appears to be random.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts